Skilled player (1705)
Ao Oni is some horror game that I found out about on Youtube. It involves 4 Japanese students being chased around by a blue skinned Obama demon. I made a WIP of it that gets past the first chase scene. There's no encode as I got no idea how am unable to do it. The game version is 6.23, and you can play this game by following this installation guide.
Skilled player (1705)
A new WIP! Notes: 1. You can't interact with anything in a dark room. 2. The numbers on the piano are randomized every time a new game is set. 3. When backed to a wall by the Oni, it's possible to manipulate the Oni to give you enough time to escape. 4. The rerecords are not correct; I TASed this on a VM since I don't have another computer with Windows XP. 5. The numbers for the safe for this game instance is: 5156 Edit: The WIP I posted desyncs at the piano puzzle. Please wait for a fix Edit 2: I found the source of the problem. It seems the password for the safe is different everytime the movie plays; therefore it indeterministic. I think a solution for this is to play it back using a VM - I'm trying it now. Edit: Piano -> Safe possible passes: 915 -> 5156 941 -> 1416 176 -> 9761 239 -> 6392
Skilled player (1705)
I thought about how to bypass the indeterministic emulation error, and I figured it out. Here's my completed WIP of game. Feedback would be appreciated.
Active player (266)
Wow, I never thought to see someone TASing this! This game used to scare me a lot, especially when he broke into warerobe where I hid in. However, I wonder whether Ao Oni is good enough for TAS. I agree this game is well-made 2D horror game, yet when it comes to TAS, I think there's few possible improvement; the plot is fixed that the player can't skip events, and Ao Oni appears and disappears in same time, same place(My last play was on version 5.2, so I'm not sure it might change in newer version). But anyway, I will comment after watching your WIP. I'm anticipating something unexpected. I hope you didn't stop TAS while that beast is chasing P.S. Have you tried 'Fraps' or 'Bandicam' to record your run? You can use Fraps if the game is full-screen mode, and use Bandicam if it's not.
Skilled player (1705)
Odongdong wrote:
However, I wonder whether Ao Oni is good enough for TAS. I agree this game is well-made 2D horror game, yet when it comes to TAS, I think there's few possible improvement; the plot is fixed that the player can't skip events, and Ao Oni appears and disappears in same time, same place(My last play was on version 5.2, so I'm not sure it might change in newer version).
I'm sure it's ok, since you have savestates, alot of puzzles, like the piano puzzle, could be solved instantly, with the only problems being route-planning, recording, and emulator non-determinism.
Odongdong wrote:
But anyway, I will comment after watching your WIP. I'm anticipating something unexpected. I hope you didn't stop TAS while that beast is chasing P.S. Have you tried 'Fraps' or 'Bandicam' to record your run? You can use Fraps if the game is full-screen mode, and use Bandicam if it's not.
Make sure you watch the WIP I posted on the third post with the correct settings; the game will not sync otherwise. Edit: Also, forget screen capture. It took 40 minutes to record the TAS, since hourglass played back the .wtf at 2 FPS. >.>
Skilled player (1705)
jlun2 wrote:
Edit: Also, forget screen capture. It took 40 minutes to record the TAS, since hourglass played back the .wtf at 2 FPS. >.>
It also took the whole night to get the audio to sync somewhat. Youtube: Link to video
Player (143)
There are many Real Time Speedruns of this game. Link to video I really doubt the TAS looks different from that RTS.
Skilled player (1705)
yuigenron wrote:
There are many Real Time Speedruns of this game. I really doubt the TAS looks different from that RTS.
When I played the game on Hourglass, the passwords for the puzzles changes every time. How did the runner know what the passwords are before hand then? Anyway, nice run! :)
Player (143)
jlun2 wrote:
the passwords for the puzzles changes every time.
That's true. The runners don't know what the passwords are before hand. They simply reset the game untill the passwords become desirable number :) The passwords may depend on PC clocks, though I am not sure.
Active player (266)
Failed to launch the game due to some technical problem. Maybe my computer can't just accept RPG XP games.
Skilled player (1705)
Odongdong wrote:
Failed to launch the game due to some technical problem. Maybe my computer can't just accept RPG XP games.
Follow the installation guide in the first post, along with the settings for Houglass in the WIP info page.
Skilled player (1705)
yuigenron wrote:
jlun2 wrote:
the passwords for the puzzles changes every time.
That's true. The runners don't know what the passwords are before hand. They simply reset the game untill the passwords become desirable number :) The passwords may depend on PC clocks, though I am not sure.
It depends on something else, since even though the system time in Hourglass is the same, the password somehow keeps changing. Also, about resetting to get the right passes, I find it quite interesting. I know the passes are set the moment the game begins, but do the passes have a pattern? Are the passes like this: Game start Puzzle 1 pass - > 1234 Puzzle 2 pass - > 4321 "Reset" Puzzle 1 pass - > 4321 Puzzle 2 pass - > 1111 "Reset" Puzzle 1 pass - > 1234 Puzzle 2 pass - > 4321 Or like this: Game start Puzzle 1 pass - > 1234 Puzzle 2 pass - > 4321 "Reset" Puzzle 1 pass - > 4321 Puzzle 2 pass - > 1111 "Reset" Puzzle 1 pass - > 1234 Puzzle 2 pass - > 2222 If it is the first example, then I think I can still TAS this, since the movie can still be made to sync by starting the game over and over until I get the right set of passes.
Skilled player (1705)
yuigenron wrote:
I really doubt the TAS looks different from that RTS.
Who cares? There's the vault tier now! :D Also, bumping this since I'm going to see if using these cheat codes can make the passwords deterministic in Hourglass. Edit: It's not. Also, even with the use of cheat engine, I couldn't find the location of the passwords. Btw, if you used CE to find your position, a pointer scan will come out blank for some reason.
N._Harmonik
She/Her
Maybe one of the many spin-offs would be more suitable to TAS.
Why, oh, why do I even <i>try</i> to understand my own species?