Post subject: Glitchy TAS of 2012 - Winner announced
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
Please send the award directly to: [2021] GB The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "playaround" by Bobmario511 in 40:22.78 We're talking 40 minutes of non stop glitching. Most of it absolutely excellent. It has quality and quantity like no other. Although [2157] NES Battletoads "game end glitch" by MESHUGGAH in 00:56.94 was very impressive too. Skipping the whole game like that? The frame war surrounding it? [2047] SNES Chrono Trigger "save glitch" by turska & inichi in 03:28.06 is also pretty nuts and improves upon a previously award winning movie by a very large margin. Not to mention a double obsoletion.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4136)
[1945] SNES Super Mario World "game end glitch" by Masterjun in 02:36.40 deserves a mention here, if only because of the sheer WTF-factor of the glitch. "Wait, suddenly "THE END"? What?" Also, [2187] GBC Pokémon: Yellow Version "arbitrary code execution" by bortreb in 12:51.87. There's nothing quite so amazing as glitching the game to the point where you can ditch the whole game and start writing and running your own tool instead.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
My nomination has to go to this one [2157] NES Battletoads "game end glitch" by MESHUGGAH in 00:56.94 It broke the game to basically being trashed data thrown on the screen and yet still ends the game.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
I second Mothrayas's choices as well.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Editor, Skilled player (1403)
Editor, Experienced player (608)
YoungJ1997lol
He/Him
Player (53)
So yea, how's it going? Currently TASing: Nothing
Buddybenj
He/Him
HappyLee's NES Super Mario Bros "lowest score (500)" in 14:32.8 I know that video was rejected. But it deserves the award. xD
Projects: Interested in TASing N64 Mario Golf. GBA Mario Tennis: Power Tour is on hold.
Player (124)
Buddybenj wrote:
HappyLee's NES Super Mario Bros "lowest score (500)" in 14:32.8 I know that video was rejected. But it deserves the award. xD
agreed
Jungon wrote:
if I was to have a Tool-Assisted real life ... I'd.. I could abuse death, just to see if it saves time ..
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
GBC Pokémon: Yellow Version „Executes Arbitrary Code” in 12:51.86 by bortreb ← this one
S3&A [Amy amy%] improvement (with Evil_3D & kaan55) — currently in SPZ2 my TAS channel · If I ever come into your dream, I’ll be riding an eggship :)
Player (12)
WST wrote:
GBC Pokémon: Yellow Version „Executes Arbitrary Code” in 12:51.86 by bortreb ← this one
The author's decision to incorporate My Little Pony into the "arbitrary code" instead of something that might appeal to a larger segment of the target audience (such as, I dunno, Pokémon, or at least such a broad variety of franchises that at least one of them is sure to stick– for example, a medley of video game music that includes Mario and Pokémon themes in it will appeal to me even if it also contains stuff I'm not familiar with like Halo, Final Fantasy, or hell, even MLP) still leaves a horrid taste in my mouth. As it stands, when the video is 12 minutes of repetitive Pokémon glitches for the purposes of setting up the game to execute arbitrary code, a few minutes of random digits and text flooding the screen while the arbitrary code is typed in, and a minute of the MLP theme song with what I have since learned is Pinkie Pie's Cutie Mark on the screen, people who don't care for Pokémon will just be bored by all of the set-up, and Pokémon fans who don't care for MLP will just end up feeling trolled, and I never liked the idea of TASVideos publishing something that trolls the viewer. I'd rather see a published speedrun of a My Little Pony video game, because at least viewers are told from the get-go what it's about. I think it's obvious that this run is going to win, but I can't help but be PO'ed. Maybe when I finally manage to completely wipe my initial experiences with the [censored] fandom out of my memory and start to tolerate it, I won't feel this way. (To all bronies, I am truly sorry that I am so tainted by these experiences that I have to put conscious effort into being diplomatic with you, and only wish that you'll accept the fact that I'm at the very least contrite enough to at least try.) But until then, I vote for the SMW run that skips almost all of the gameplay and spontaneously brings about the end.
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
Well, when I first saw “SNES Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 in 30:28.38 by SDR, TheVLACKDEMONN2294, Dark Noob” I was quite sure that I would vote for it in the end of year. But how impressed I was when I saw “Pokémon: Yellow” TAS, it’s amazing that you can break the game SO deeply, and I would vote for it, not depending on what music and picture would show up in the end.
S3&A [Amy amy%] improvement (with Evil_3D & kaan55) — currently in SPZ2 my TAS channel · If I ever come into your dream, I’ll be riding an eggship :)
Dwedit
He/Him
Sorry, your trial period of Super Mario World has expired.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
scrimpeh wrote:
[2187] GBC Pokémon: Yellow Version "arbitrary code execution" by bortreb in 12:51.87 Does it even need an explanation?
Agreed!
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects