Post subject: Mirrored emulator image
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
So, I've just discovered that mame allows this. You can play a game mirrored horizontally. I was trying to do this on a NES emulator but couldn't find any, and I also couldn't find a way to mirror my windows display. Does anyone know a way I can do it? The reason I want to do this is mainly because I think it would be a real novelty to play super mario 3 with the levels mirrored. edit: yeah, I tried playchoice smb3 on mame but it was lagging horribly. And I want to try this possibly on other games too.
nfq
Player (93)
some 3D games like mario 64 or goldeneye might be fun to play mirrored: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHf4OGRQ918 it would be almost like playing the game for the first time, because it looks so different. i've read that if you have two screens, you can make the other screen mirror what's on the first screen, but there should be a way to do it with one screen too.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
That mirror screen terminology is a little off, as all it does is copy the image. I thought about using an actual mirror to do this, but that isn't ideal.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Site Developer
hmm, this is kind of fun. switch the keybinds for L and R and quite a few games become playable without much extra difficulty
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
natt wrote:
hmm, this is kind of fun. switch the keybinds for L and R and quite a few games become playable without much extra difficulty
Exactly, I tried this in mame with wonder boy and the thought of playing super mario 3 that way made me close it and enter this research frenzy mode.
Well, I was able to accomplish it with a few lines of code modification to Bizhawk, but I don't know if it's worth adding as a feature. Any shader-based emu should be able to do it with a simple shader.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Ah come on, add a checkbox! :D Can you share your build?
Banned User, Former player
If you don't want to clutter the UI with mostly useless features, perhaps it would be enough to have support for it in an ini file or as a command-line parameter?
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Any chance we can get your version or a command line/ini support as warp suggested? It would be really appreciated.
Active player (308)
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Thanks! That second one is exactly why it's hard to find it on google, it is NOT the effect that I want. It just rotates. I just tested the first one, and it seems to work fine :) edit: further testing. I hadn't tested with an emulator yet, so it seemed to be perfect. It isn't, there's a serious framerate issue...
Brandon
He/Him
Editor, Player (190)
FODA wrote:
Ah come on, add a checkbox! :D Can you share your build?
Second.
All the best, Brandon Evans
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Do it!
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
http://pastebin.com/XD8VTWF0 works on d3d mode only
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Brandon
He/Him
Editor, Player (190)
natt tested, Brandon approved.
All the best, Brandon Evans