Post subject: Super Hexagon
Patashu
He/Him
Link to video Link to video Does anyone have this game on Steam who can check if TASing it in hourglass works or not? I only have this game on iPad. I want to TAS this but I don't want to buy the game a second time to discover the answer is 'no'. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated :) Super Hexagon already has really impressive real time videos (most of them by vmvolcano / sigsig), but I think a TAS for this game would be really cool. Examples of things you could do (refer to http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=121153531 for pattern names): -Whenever you see two walls separated by a gap, you should be able to poke the pointer into the gap very briefly and pull it out again. -Your pointer is considered to be in only one 'sector' at a time, so you can cruise on a seam between two sectors, making 1 frame adjustments to appear to be motionless yet remain alive. -On the other extreme, it would be entertaining to clear patterns with as much extraneous and dangerous movement as possible. -It is possible to slip through the diagonal cracks in patterns such as Double Whirlpool. In fact, it happens every time, but you could abuse this in a TAS to clear a double whirlpool with only a few frames of movement. -The music in this game is great, so why not move to it from time to time? -The patterns Stairs 1 and Stairs 2 have lots of alternate solutions besides the obvious ones, that are really dangerous. (Rain has a lot of things you can try, too.) -Sometimes you get patterns like the picture for 'Solo' for Hexagon - double banded stripes just before a C. Seeing as I almost always die to these when I'm trapped in the wrong sector of them and can't react and spin fast enough to clear the C, a good playaround should defy death on these kinds of 'traps' as often as possible. -Making very late movements would be entertaining in general, as well as rotating the long way around and still clearing, etc. -On the last black/white stage, the pointer should do ridiculous things like linger on the top/bottom instead of the left/right (normally suicide since you have less time to react), incredibly death defying constant spinning and so on. Another idea would be TASing Open Hexagon, a clone of Super Hexagon for the PC. You can script new levels for it using json and LUA, controlling things like patterns/speed/rotation speed even mid-level, so a ridiculously hard custom level could be made and cleared by TAS. Link to video
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Pretty sure you can't TAS any Steam games, period.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
sack_bot
He/Him
Player (111)
Derakon wrote:
Pretty sure you can't TAS any Steam games, period.
but you can do the humble indie bundle veshon
Message me here for my discord. Current Project: Psycho Waluigi Project on wait list: None?
Player (36)
Humble Bundle version crashes on start up. I don't know why. Fiddling with the settings doesn't seem to help.
creating process "C:\Documents and Settings\OmnipotentEntity\My Documents\Downloads\super_hexagon-windows\superhexagon.exe"...
done creating process, got handle 0x184, PID = 4016.
SYMBOL PATH: .;C:\Documents and Settings\OmnipotentEntity\My Documents\Downloads\super_hexagon-windows;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32;C:\WINDOWS\Symbols\dll
attempting injection...
Injecting "C:\Documents and Settings\OmnipotentEntity\wintasee.dll" by IAT (method 1) apparently succeeded.
done injection. starting game thread
entering debugger loop
CREATED PROCESS: C:\Documents and Settings\OmnipotentEntity\My Documents\Downloads\super_hexagon-windows\superhexagon.exe
TRUSTED MODULE 0x00400000 - 0x006DE000 (C:\Documents and Settings\OmnipotentEntity\My Documents\Downloads\super_hexagon-windows\superhexagon.exe)
entrypoint = 0x4D0B24
LoadModuleSymbols(0x184, C:\Documents and Settings\OmnipotentEntity\My Documents\Downloads\super_hexagon-windows\superhexagon.exe, 0x1A8, 0x400000) = {BaseOfImage=0x400000, NumSyms=299, SymType=0x4, ModuleName=superhexagon, ImageName=C:\Documents and Settings\OmnipotentEntity\My Documents\Downloads\super_hexagon-windows\superhexagon.exe}
LOADED DLL: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
LoadModuleSymbols(0x184, C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll, 0x1A8, 0x7C900000) = {BaseOfImage=0x7C900000, NumSyms=1315, SymType=0x4, ModuleName=ntdll, ImageName=C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll}
LOADED DLL: C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll
LoadModuleSymbols(0x184, C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll, 0x1A8, 0x7C800000) = {BaseOfImage=0x7C800000, NumSyms=953, SymType=0x4, ModuleName=kernel32, ImageName=C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll}
exception 0xC0000135 (at 0x7C96478E): {Unable To Locate Component} This application has failed to start because %hs was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
Call stack info(thread=0x18C) : (id=0x5DC) (name=)
     ntdll!0x7C96478E : RtlRaiseStatus(0xC0000135, 0x12FD30, 0, 0x7FFDE000)?
     ntdll!0x7C93F14E : RtlDeleteAce(0x12FD30, 0x7C900000, 0, 0x10017)?
exception 0xC0000135 (at 0x7C96478E): {Unable To Locate Component} This application has failed to start because %hs was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
Call stack info(thread=0x18C) : (id=0x5DC) (name=)
     ntdll!0x7C96478E : RtlRaiseStatus(0xC0000135, 0x12FD30, 0, 0x7FFDE000)?
     ntdll!0x7C93F14E : RtlDeleteAce(0x12FD30, 0x7C900000, 0, 0x10017)?
The game crashed...
Closing thread handle 0x180
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
Seems like debugging is slightly broken here as the %hs is not resolved, but there's a dll missing and I have no idea which one. I'm gonna see if I can fix the debugging log, which hopefully will give us an idea of where to go next. EDIT: And another question: Does the game start normally for you outside of Hourglass?
Patashu
He/Him
Is it possible to use a program like strings.exe on superhexagon.exe to get a list of all dlls it references by string name?
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Is it possible to use a program like strings.exe on superhexagon.exe to get a list of all dlls it references by string name?
There are a few tools that'll do that for you. If you have visual studio it comes with a tool called dumpbin which you can use like "dumpbin /dependents superhexagon.exe". Otherwise, there are free tools like http://dependencywalker.com/.
Player (36)
Warepire wrote:
Seems like debugging is slightly broken here as the %hs is not resolved, but there's a dll missing and I have no idea which one. I'm gonna see if I can fix the debugging log, which hopefully will give us an idea of where to go next. EDIT: And another question: Does the game start normally for you outside of Hourglass?
Yes. Super Hexagon works within my VM. Which is where I was testing this out.
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
OmnipotentEntity wrote:
Warepire wrote:
Yes. Super Hexagon works within my VM. Which is where I was testing this out.
That means Hourglass is preventing the game from loading a dll. The big problem here seems to be that there is no way to access the part of the information that contains which DLL that causes the problem. I'm going to have to ask around and see what I can come up with, or we have to wait for nitsuja to come back.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
Ok, after some consulting with some friends of mine that implemented Minidumping as debugging-methods for their programs I have now done a real hackjob in an attempt to get a Minidump for each Exception the game throws while enslaved under Hourglass. Note that this is not how minidumps shall be used so it is not certain that this will work. I HOPE this will create some useful Minidumps that can tell me what DLL that Super Hexagon fails to load: http://filecloud.io/lhr0g18e Please back up your system before running this build! As a result of this hackjob I am leaving certain data-structures incomplete, I have no idea what this might do to your Windows installation (it should be harmless but ... ), none of my friends have ever attempted to pass incomplete data-structures to the Minidumping functions, and there aren't any info on Google to what might happen if you do. Unless Hourglass implodes the minidumps shall be findable in the same directory as the game executable, they will be called hourglassmdumpX.dmp where X is a number. If any minidumps are generated, please put them all in an archive and send them to me via PM. VERY IMPORTANT: DO NOT TAS WITH THIS BUILD! It was made solely with the hope to find out why Super Hexagon fails! Any movie recorded with this build must be thought of as trash as it's content is not reliable! If this build fails we will have to wait for Nitsuja to come back and help you debug this.
Experienced player (703)
Not working with Steam game, doesn't run on W8.
Current: Rayman 3 maybe? idk xD Paused: N64 Rayman 2 (with Funnyhair) GBA SMA 4 : E Reader (With TehSeven) TASVideos is like a quicksand, you get in, but you cannot quit the sand