1 2
15 16
Post subject: Mortal Kombat
Player (70)
If one were to make this run, would a blocked attack still count as a hit taken? I'm kinda eager to see all the mortal kombat games be made. I allso wonder if I should do these my self. I'm very rusty though. Haven't played mortal kombat serious for a couple of years. Would be nice to see a discussion take place to set things straight. How to save time, how to be most efficent, wether or not to use fatalities, wether or not one should aim for to meat the hidden characters, what character to play with etc. I'm generally thinking of Mortal kombat and Mortal kombat 2 since the games after that is kinda boring. How ever Mortal kombat 3 and later has the combo system.
Hehe, I guess some allready knows what I think: Please spare me! ;)
Bein' away for like five years, and not a single new post in the ZSNES forum... :'-(
Player (70)
Hehe.. That wasn't the kind of talk this thread was intended for. Only give cunstructive oppinions. Wether or not you like it, that can be voted for when the movie get's submitted. :)
Former player
Variety is the key to making a game like this entertaining. I think this was talked about before in another thread, but if MK II is done, then do a Shang Tsung run. Doesn't necessarily have to be aiming for pure speed; morphing into different characters and showing a variety of combos and fatalities\friendships\babalities on very hard would be nice, maybe even beating someone like Smoke in the process.
Player (70)
Hmm... Smoke and Jade will be dealt with if so..
Former player
I would say MK II would be more fun than MK I, especially a Shang Tsung movie as suggested. MK II has some pretty weird combos (especially when slow-motion comes into play). MK3 is even crazier, if you want to go there. I would say skip hidden characters as they can't be fatalitied and they only make the game take longer. Any hit, blocked or not, cancels a flawless victory. But that's good, because otherwise every round will take that much longer for Shao Khan to say "Flawless Victory."
Do Not Talk About Feitclub http://www.feitclub.com
I wouldn't mind seeing MK3 added, or better yet, MK3 ultimate, since it has more characters. Gotta love those big combos.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
I think a movie of this would aim more for showing off, and aiming less for fastest possible time. There are some pretty funny (and unintended) possible combos in MK2. MK3 has mostly pre-programmed combos. My suggestion would therefore be a run in MK2, focusing on showoff and not on best time, with Shang Tsung. Ideas would be: * If you do Smoke (which I'm personally for), get him in the corner and high-punch him to oblivion. * Use the stage-specific fatalities. * Punch off three heads with Cage. * Freeze indefinetily with Sub-Zero after fatality. When you turn back into Shang Tsung, you can transform into another character and perform their fatality on the frozen opponent. * 100% combo (with Kitana?) * Glitched high punch (takes off more than it's supposed to) GameFAQs has some very good info on MK2. Glitches, tricks, combos. Be warned: People have said that this game is very prone to desynch. I'm not sure if the same is true for the Genesis version. Does the SNES have blood by the way? It's not Mortal Kombat if there's no blood. >:/
Former player
MKII on SNES has all blood & fatalities. They learned their lesson after MKI.
Former player
MK3 is not "mostly preprogrammed combos". There are still many practical juggles around, and some strange aspects of the engine. Darktemplarz.com did a series of truly insane combo movies for MK3, Ultimate, and Trilogy...they would normally be available for download there, but their bandwidth is about done for this month though. =/ And I agree, a Shang Tsung run for 2 would be neat to watch. One thing you should look into is the possibility of starting a combo while morphed, then finishing it after turning back into Shang. Actually it may be possible to pull off another morph within a combo then finish it. -Josh
but then you take my 75 perchance chance of winning, if we was to go one-on-one, and then add 66 and two-thirds ch...percents...i got a 141 and two-thirds chance of winning at sacrifice
Player (70)
I didn't have any problems with MK2 desyncing when I tested. So that would be the least to worry about. MK2 on SNES is still cencored though. With Kung Lao you won't be able to cut off the head with your throwing hat fatality. On Genesis you will have to push up right before the hat hits the character in order to cut the head off. Wonder if it's just a miss on the SNES version? Personally I think I will go for flawless victory all the time, since what you said about this run being rather a showoff than a pure play for speed. Furthermore I really like the thought of Shang Tsung as character to play with. If I were to make this movie I sure will need to read ALOT. Oh.. The best technique I found to beat Shao Kahn is to just move forward and use high kick all the time. Since he will do shadow slides or what ever they are called all the time, and more or less get stuck in it since he didn't connect with it, nor finish it. Seems like he pulls another if he get's interrupted.
>And I agree, a Shang Tsung run for 2 would be neat to watch. One thing you should look into is the possibility of starting a combo while morphed, then finishing it after turning back into Shang. Actually it may be possible to pull off another morph within a combo then finish it. The morphing animation is sort of sluggish, so it will be difficult to pull off inside a combo. Three fireballs at the end of a combo would sure be neat though... How many matches are there as most, and how many of those are fatality-able? Does getting Smoke cancel the current match, meaning you lose a fatality? If I read correctly in the FAQs, you can perform a fatality if you lose by a throw in some circumstances. That could be worth a continue to see. This could be very interesting. :)
Former player
The hat fatality still works on the SNES version, I did it a lot back in the day. You have to move it upward at the right time, that's all. -Josh
but then you take my 75 perchance chance of winning, if we was to go one-on-one, and then add 66 and two-thirds ch...percents...i got a 141 and two-thirds chance of winning at sacrifice
Former player
Oh man, I forgot about the MK1 blood controversy. Agreed that shang tsung definitely opens up the most options. Josh had a great idea with that combo, but as truncated pointed out, I don't think that morphing within a combo would work out, as the morph takes maybe half a second. To answer your first question, the category is "takes damage to save time", not "takes hits to save time". I feel that this signifies that as long as when you do get hit, if you suffered that same hit an infinite amount of times, it would never kill you. I used to know everything about the MK series, but I forget if this is the case with blocked attacks. If you can find a humorous and easy way to beat Shao Kahn(who if I remember was absolutely nothing compared to motaro), I say use it for one round no matter how repetitive it is. The entertainment will be derived from "he's the final boss and he can't even learn to defend against one attack?" Then the second round, just go nuts on him.
Blocking takes off a good chunk of life. >If you can find a humorous and easy way to beat Shao Kahn(who if I remember was absolutely nothing compared to motaro), You mean Kintaro, right? But yeah, I can agree. I could only ever consistently beat Kintaro with Kitana. Then I'd lose on purpose and pick a different character for the end demo. If there's a suckerway to beat the last boss that could be fun, but it would perhaps be easy to believe that it simply relied on timing and savestate instead of a simple technique. Okay, this is becoming too much talk (yeah, mainly by me) and no shop. Let's see a preliminary video!
Former player
My mistake, as I said it's been awhile.
Highness wrote:
Personally I think I will go for flawless victory all the time, since what you said about this run being rather a showoff than a pure play for speed.
Yeah, it is hopefully going to be a showoff, but it would still be nice if it was done quickly too. I just personally think blocking would just be better than dancing all over the screen, unless you can hit them in the middle of their attack.
Player (70)
As a side notice Shao Kahn and Kintaro are very easy to beat, even without states. I have never really played on emu before. So all my experience comes out the console. Kintaro - Jump backwards until you stand in the corner. Keep Kintaros distance while still jumping backwards and kick. Wait until Kintaro makes one of those teleport jumps/stomp things on you. Most of the time Kintaro will now be the one in the corner as you sorta "slide" under him after he stomps you. He will also do one of his poses and flex his muscles and growl etc. All you have to do now is hit him with lowpunch all the time until he dies. He won't be able to block it. Nor will you be thrown back or something like that. This technique will involve taking damage though. For Shao Kahn - Just walk towards him and hit him with high kick until he dies. This will allow double flawless. A second method can be to sit in the corner, hold block and uppercut him when he comes to close. It's very hard though since he makes those shadow moves all the time. These characters are the least I think about. It will be harder to defeat the others in a stylish, quick and flawless way. They have alot more move ability etc.
Former player
Isn't there a kintaro fatality with shang tsung? Doing this run will really put your art skills to the test - you'll need to pick the best and the baddest end moves (you have hundreds to choose from).
Former player
-ziplock- wrote:
Isn't there a kintaro fatality with shang tsung? Doing this run will really put your art skills to the test - you'll need to pick the best and the baddest end moves (you have hundreds to choose from).
Yeah, that was one of my favorites to break out in the arcade. Always got a big reaction from the crowd. Other people-pleassers: Kung Lao using his hat to split opponent down the middle (unique animation) Jax tearing opponent's arms off (also unique) Baraka impaling opponent on knives Sub-Zero is fun because of the freeze, which extends the Fatality time. Many graphical glitches are possible if you morph into Sub-Zero, win match, freeze (re-freeze if necessary), then morph into someone else and do a Fatality.
Player (70)
The Kintaro fatality is very easy to pull off. Just hold down low punch for 25 seconds I think it was. I would use that for sure if I were to make this run. I'm not 100% sure that I will make this though. It has been soooo long since I was good at this game. What would be the best way to defeat an opponent? How fast can it be done? Anyone knows this?
I was wondering when this discussion was going to start. As I asked before, how many fatalities are possible in a run? My suggestions: * TOASTY! with Scorpion * The bugged reverse acid pool fatality * Spike ceiling + slide down (you might need two controllers, I'm not sure)
Former player
Highness wrote:
The Kintaro fatality is very easy to pull off. Just hold down low punch for 25 seconds I think it was.
Actually, the easier way (since a time attack round shouldn't take that long) is just hold LP from before the fight begins (after the characters are on screen but before you have control of the character).
Highness wrote:
I would use that for sure if I were to make this run. I'm not 100% sure that I will make this though. It has been soooo long since I was good at this game. What would be the best way to defeat an opponent? How fast can it be done? Anyone knows this?
Using slo-mo and re-records should make this easy. The whole thing that made MK's AI so fucking difficult was it's flawless reaction time. Now the player has flawless reaction time as well as the ability to correct mistakes and expertly predict AI behavior. As far as speed goes, I know the uppercut is the single most damaging move in the game for any character. But slo-mo allows for expert combo control which therefore yields bigger damage. Shang Tsung should be able to, for example, land a jump kick and throw three fireballs. That's really hard to do at normal speed but now it should be a snap. I remember that the SNES MK3 had a slo-mo "code" that I used to do all kinds of crazy combos like juggling opponents across the screen using High Punch.
Player (70)
Actually, the easier way (since a time attack round shouldn't take that long) is just hold LP from before the fight begins (after the characters are on screen but before you have control of the character).
I knew that actually. But the time you need to hold the B button is correct I think. There's still alot more planning to do and even more practice to get this stylish enough. I might try some this evening.
Former player
Weren't there friendships and babalities in this one too(or was that the third)? Using one of those on shao kahn would make for a great coup de gras.
1 2
15 16