Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4137)
Just a small 1-lap testrun to test out (experimental) PSXHawk, with analog controls using a X360 controller. This site needs more racing simulation TASes. Used BizHawk SVN revision 9169. (The music didn't actually work with this revision, so I added it afterwards instead). Donington Park (GP) qualifying lap in 1:13.81 using Renault Laguna. Link to video User movie #22687887474422778
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Experienced player (630)
Are you sure racing simulation games are accepted here? Well, I guess they are. Anyways, what strats you used then?
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
Noxxa
They/Them
Kurabupengin wrote:
Are you sure racing simulation games are accepted here? Well, I guess they are.
Yes, why wouldn't they be?
Kurabupengin wrote:
Anyways, what strats you used then?
Not a lot of fancy stuff - just good ol' precision cornering and accelerating, making sure the car doesn't slow down or slip (too much), with braking and gear changing on a few occasions. As simple as it sounds, it's actually quite tricky because the physics when cornering really aren't very forgiving, and it's very easy to skid, slip or spin out and lose all your speed. This isn't Mario Kart or F-Zero. The only really out of the ordinary strats are to skip the esses by going through the grass at 50 seconds (IGT) in, and using the pit lane to end the lap faster, because the pit lane leads to a shorter route on this track. (Though it would be slower overall if it weren't the final lap, because I'd be limited to low speed/AI control for a longer time).
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
TAS would probably be championship mode, 24 tracks i read. How many laps are a race, can those be changed? Are you able to skip/abort races, when you don't need the points? I like the test run, but it could get repetative over a long run.
Noxxa
They/Them
thommy3 wrote:
TAS would probably be championship mode, 24 tracks i read.
Correct.
thommy3 wrote:
How many laps are a race, can those be changed?
There are two settings: "Short" championship and "Long" championship. TAS should use Long Championship obviously The Long Championship uses, as far as I know, the same lap counts as the actual 1997 BTCC races. So Donington GP is 18 laps. Brands Hatch would be 38 laps. Knockhill would be 40 laps. However, I haven't confirmed this yet. Short Championship cuts the lap count to roughly a third. Donington GP is 6 laps, the rest are roughly between 6 and 10 laps long.
thommy3 wrote:
Are you able to skip/abort races, when you don't need the points?
No.
thommy3 wrote:
I like the test run, but it could get repetative over a long run.
I estimate a full (Long) Championship run would be around 10-11 hours long (depending on whether you'd do qualification laps or not). Yeah it might turn out a little repetitive :)
Noxxa
They/Them
I did some more research on exactly how many laps every track has in-game. Results are in a game resources page here: Wiki: GameResources/PSX/TOCATouringCarChampionship. (Also put some other information I previously gathered in there). The most laps in one track goes to Brands Hatch with 38 laps. The longest overall track is Croft at 53.25 miles. These would be fun.
Former player
A TAS of this would be great, I love racing games! And if someone decides to TAS the tracks full length, I'm fine with that ^^
Current project: Gex 3 any% Paused: Gex 64 any% There are no N64 emulators. Just SM64 emulators with hacky support for all the other games.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Good run. It's like the Braid run in that it has a slower pace but I didn't want to stop watching it. I liked the clever shortcut through Pit Road to end the qualifying lap too. Are you planning to do the Short Championship? The Long one would be more complete, but its long length would take a long time to make and almost certainly confine it to the Vault.
Noxxa
They/Them
CoolKirby wrote:
Are you planning to do the Short Championship? The Long one would be more complete, but its long length would take a long time to make and almost certainly confine it to the Vault.
"Short" Championship would still be a 3-4 hour run. I don't think that would make it past the Vault either. At least a Long Championship run would have the added bonus of being the longest run on the site if it were made.