1 2
13 14
Editor, Active player (296)
Which publications should have a star but don't have? Which publications have a star but shouldn't have it? Please express your opinions. This will be an ongoing topic and results of discussions may affect the current nominations. Guidelines regarding movie judging: A star signifies a movie that is considered "promotional" material. Such movies are suitable for first-time viewers. Desired properties of a movie that has a star: - Audiovisually attractive. - Keeps the pace and doesn't exhaust the audience with length. - Demonstrates level of playing skill that appeals to audience who have never seen the game before (and thus don't know what to consider "normal" and what is extraordinary). - Demonstrates level of playing skill that pleases even the timeattack experts in general and those knowledgeful at the game. It is desirable that all those factors are met, but if some of the factors are fulfilled especially well, a lack in some other factors can be accepted. (SMB1 for example isn't audiovisually very attractive.) Guidelines regarding the distribution of stars: - The total number of movies that have a star shouldn't exceed, say, 30. 15 is maybe a good aim... - The list of movies having a star should rather have variety than consist of many entries for the same game.
Former player
The following movies should be nominated: *SNES Umihara Kawasi by Blechy *SNES Super Castlevania 4 by Phil *SNES Contra 3 by Phil and Genisto *NES Dragon Warrior by Acmlm *NES Jackal by TheAxeman The following movies are worth discussing: *SNES Super Punch-Out by Phil *SNES Tetris Attack by Lezard *Genesis Flashback by nifboy *NES Arkanoid by Genisto *NES Metal Storm by TheAxeman *NES Prince of Persia by SprintGod *NES Wai Wai World by FunkDOC Otherwise, I am fine with the current starred movies.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Emulator Coder
I agree that stars should be awarded entirely by entertainment value. Entertainment usually stems from - Familiarity with game - Unrepetetiveness - Length.
Active player (277)
I think the movies should have variety and slickness in their maneuvers.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Of Zurreco's ideas, I agree with Umihara and Arkanoid. Dragon Warrior fails to keep the newbies interested. I disagree with Waiwai, but if so, I should perhaps denominate Castlevania, too... TNSe: I tried to express those points differently now... Rather than trying to define 'entertaining', I simply defined what are my ideas for which movies should have a star. BagOfMagicFood: That kind of falls under the second rule.
Active player (277)
I thought so. Well, the latest Dragon Warrior run is better now that the last battle isn't quite so super-long. It's funny to see an RPG be done in a short time, anyway.
I think the River City Ransom video should be starred. It's like 10 minutes, does a bunch of entertaining crap, has some groovy tunes and looks awesome.
SWOOOOOOOM
Former player
I thought River City Ransom was being improved, though. Also, I wonder Arc's Metroid was not starred, but I assume that since it is being improved that it doesn't need a star just yet.
Skilled player (1404)
The current River City game excels in being extremely entertaining and funny to watch. A star should go to it, I believe. Same with Arkanoid. Personally, I think the two Rygars should be switched. The longer one I feel has a better pace and exploits a few more glitches that are easier to keep up with. Contra 3 deserves one, as does Bubble Bobble (although that one is debatable). 100% Kill in Gradius 3 is all kinds of psycho. I guess Monopoly could get one. Quick, abuses luck, and is very familiar to a very wide audience. Lost Vikings seems to be a very good one, whatwith making the three characters practically act at once. I'll be certain as soon as I can prevent it from melting... Dragon Warrior is a manifestation of luck abuse. It should be put up, if just as a tech demo. The short "Link to the Past." Come on. It's a long game beaten in five minutes. Five freakin' minutes. I'm not so sure Megaman X2 deserves its star. Good movie and all, but I just don't feel it has enough "wow" to it.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Former player
Lost Vikings is too long to really be too entertaining. Monopoly is a toss up. Most people wouldn't know what was going on, much less be too impressed with it. The glitched Link to the Past isn't really something that is too entertaining. You have to take it for face value, which isn't all that great.
Active player (277)
But Meggermanx^2 is so fast! It uses weapons to be faster!
Former player
Zurreco wrote:
The following movies should be nominated: *SNES Umihara Kawasi by Blechy *SNES Super Castlevania 4 by Phil *SNES Contra 3 by Phil and Genisto *NES Dragon Warrior by Acmlm *NES Jackal by TheAxeman The following movies are worth discussing: *SNES Super Punch-Out by Phil *SNES Tetris Attack by Lezard *Genesis Flashback by nifboy *NES Arkanoid by Genisto *NES Metal Storm by TheAxeman *NES Prince of Persia by SprintGod *NES Wai Wai World by FunkDOC
I think Phil has admitted that CV4 is improvable by around 10 seconds or so. Still, I'd agree with that pick. Dragon Warrior, Umihara, and Contra 3 I all agree with as well. Jackal not so much...a fairly obscure game, not really exciting for the typical viewer. One of the Punch-Out movies deserves it...either the original or Super, I don't mind. Flashback is a definite yes. Really long game cut in half by cool glitches...yum. Arkanoid = hell yes. Prince of Persia, Metal Storm, Tetris Attack...I don't know about those. And I'm surprised you picked Wai Wai World...I think it's a bit boring in the beginning, plus it's VERY slightly improvable (like, 5 seconds or so). Thanks, but even I'd say no. Personally, I think one of the Ninja Gaiden games should be added. All of them are fast-paced and well-known games; additionally, all of those movies are among the most optimized on the site because there's very little luck manipulation involved. I'd be tempted to say NG2, because it has cool glitches and impressive control of the shadows, but I'm biased there. =P I honestly don't know about Megaman X2...the original is the most well-known and also a better movie IMO; the need for 100% items and shoryuken abuse just kills X2 in my mind. One more Genesis one that I'd nominate: Streets of Rage 2. I know it's only one-player, but that actually looks more impressive in the context; Mania difficulty gives you the same number of enemies in 1 and 2-player modes, and just beating it AT ALL in one-player is considered a great accomplishment. The movie also shows off all kinds of tricks that most people wouldn't think of, and the game itself is known as an all-time classic among both the beat-em-up genre and Genesis games in general. -Josh
but then you take my 75 perchance chance of winning, if we was to go one-on-one, and then add 66 and two-thirds ch...percents...i got a 141 and two-thirds chance of winning at sacrifice
Active player (277)
I think Flashback might be pretty boring for someone who doesn't know about it.
Active player (410)
In fact, Flashback is a boring game.
Former player
I don't think Streets of Rage, nor any other beat em up for that matter, is entertaining enough to get a star. They tend to be insanely linear and tend to focus on 1-3 different moves/combos that are most efficient. There isn't a whole lot of variety in the movies, and the only thing that I find really entertaining about them is that you can get through such hard games without taking any/much damage. Otherwise, it just looks like a good speedrun.
I think The Lost Vikings -movie could use a star, since the manipulation of the three characters has been done very nicely and it certainly demonstrates what can be done with tools.
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
I accept River City Ransom and the Rygar swap (the previous versions of full Rygar didn't qualify, but the today one does). Flashback is a good movie, but the game isn't attractive enough and there's the length. Same applies to Out of this world. The star of MMX2 can perhaps be given to something better, but I'm not ready to strip it right away. Regarding Monopoly, I think Vegas Stakes is a better movie, but neither deserves a star. I'm still reluctant of Dragon Warrior as well. Lost Vikings is too long, and doesn't appeal to newbies (such as me). SCV4 and the short Zelda movie may be considered. I think I can agree about Contra 3, but the AVI should be re-encoded for better quality... Only one of the Gradius movies deserves a star, and I don't see a good reason to change it from the NES movie to either of the SNES movies. Regarding Arc's Metroid movie; Zoizite's maru-only movie is already starred. Can someone explain why it should be changed?
I believe that Megaman X2 should keep its star. Out of the Megaman X games, it's the most impressive time attack, in my opinion. It uses the weapons that increase speed to the fullest and does some pretty impressive maneuvers which a normal speedrunner wouldn't consider doing. It's also very interesting how collecting all items and getting the Shoryuken actually saves time over blazing right through.
Former player
Bisqwit wrote:
Regarding Arc's Metroid movie; Zoizite's maru-only movie is already starred. Can someone explain why it should be changed?
It should be swapped for the same reason that Teri's any% is starred and his low% is not. Playing the game super fast versus playing the game fast but with some constraints is iffy, but I don't think that just tossing in random ciriterion should make one movie better than the true timeattack. edit: i dont know what 'weapped' is...
Player (36)
Ferret Warlord wrote:
The short "Link to the Past." Come on. It's a long game beaten in five minutes. Five freakin' minutes.
I don't think it deserves it. If anything I want to see the long movie with the star if one gets the star. But the 4:17 movie is very doable on the console within a few seconds.
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
I think that Super Turrican by Zerstorung should deserves a star. It's an excellent example in how time can be saved by taking damage and it uses weapons and tools creatively. P.S - the re-record count is a bit small (2,004). but does not bother.
I am a Mega Man fan that hates Megaman X8.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Maybe i need to watch contra 3 again, but, iirc, its not too much more impressive than a speedrun.
I have yet to see some videos on this site, but I'm against the star on Arkanoid. It's a difficult game, it's very well played, and so. However, the game itself is repetitive. None of my friends wanted to see it from start to end, and I usually had to forward the movie to the last level. I would vote for a star to Arkanoid if there was a run using warps to reach the last level soon, though. I vote for Monopoly having a star, just because it has the most impressing time for a beginner. When I entered this site, it was the movie that impacted me the most. Sure, there are better movies, but I think it still should be starred. The proposal of starred movies is also to show people what can be achieved, in this case by luck manipulation. I also vote for keeping the star on the Castlevania: Circle of the Moon movies, Rygar, and NES Gradius ( which is the most popular movie among my friends). Just my thoughts. :)
No.
Former player
I'm not so sure Megaman X2 deserves its star. Good movie and all, but I just don't feel it has enough "wow" to it.
I was thinking the save thing. I was suprised that Castlevania's star was taken. That was one of my favorites. I agree that SCV4 being a good star contender. Only one of them should be starred. The gameplay is too similar. I also agree that Ninja Gaiden 2 should be starred. All 3 of the NG movies are very high quality, but NG2 has the shadows. =)
If for honesty, you want apologies, I don't sympathize.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
Repeating what I said in the Sonic2 submission topic: I definately think it should have a star. It is of the same quality as the S3&K run, and should be very impressive to anyone even if they haven't played the game before (well who hasn't). Anyone against? I know you're not because I'm always right. :>
1 2
13 14