1 2
14 15
Post subject: Perfect Dark
Starting this now.. sort of. So what's the best method of doing the first level? I'm not sure what order to do each objective in, how many times to use the glitch etc.. I watched Bryan Bosshardt's 1:25 but not 100% sure that is the best route but it was damn good nonetheless.
for videos (and more), you'll want to contact me :p
So the videos at the elite are no good? or just not what a tas route would be?
Former player
What difficulty are you doing it on?
Player (166)
I'm gonna guess Perfect Agent since the 1st level is over a minute...
nfq
Player (93)
When I tried to make a movie in this game, it always desynced, sooner or later. Save and load also take much longer than in other games. I hope it works good for you.
Player (84)
I would suggest a 2-player Co-Op on perfect agent... If not someone(like me...) might improve a solo run with a co-op run in the near future.
It's Perfect Agent of course, if it was agent, the route would be pretty obvious for the first level.
nfq wrote:
When I tried to make a movie in this game, it always desynced, sooner or later. Save and load also take much longer than in other games. I hope it works good for you.
It was fine when i was trying the glitch in real time, the saving and loading part. Yeah, the desyncs might appear more in this game because of all the dead input frames when loading a level possibly.
Vatchern wrote:
I would suggest a 2-player Co-Op on perfect agent... If not someone(like me...) might improve a solo run with a co-op run in the near future.
Controlling 2 people or 2 people doing it together? Pretty sure multiplayer support over ip would have to be put into mupen before that could happen. Controlling two people at once would be insanely hard but would produce the fastest times..
Player (84)
1 person controlling 2 players.
Both players do the glitch.. one gets the guy for the project files while the other drops to the first comms hub to do that. Then, the first player runs up and grabs the necklace and returns to the roof. The 2nd player after getting the first hub goes to the terminal via the glitch. The 1st player gets the other hub while the 2nd downloads and then the 1st player exits the mission. Hmmmmmmmmmm.
Player (166)
L4yer wrote:
Both players do the glitch.. one gets the guy for the project files while the other drops to the first comms hub to do that. Then, the first player runs up and grabs the necklace and returns to the roof. The 2nd player after getting the first hub goes to the terminal via the glitch. The 1st player gets the other hub while the 2nd downloads and then the 1st player exits the mission. Hmmmmmmmmmm.
Why not have one player drop into the elevator right away, and then hit the bottom floor comms hub... the other does objectives one through three? In the second level, one player could speed right to the end, whilst the other cleans up along the way... A Co-op run would certainly be very interesting.
Wow, you were right nfq, it is very buggy actually recording from start. In this case (start to beginning of first level), the current frame count actually goes beyond the total somehow..
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1300)
There's a frame count and an input sample count, are you sure you aren't confusing them? There is no separate current/total displayed while recording because they are always equal then.
Take a look ath the bottom left of the picture. http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/2194/pdyi7.jpg
Hrmm, you're right. That will need to be fixed.... what did it display when you were recording at that point?
Not sure..I made and loaded a savestate in the long stretch of dead input frames to prepare to press enter at the right time in the level. When i loaded it, it didnt work and just added frames to the total after the dead frames but i couldn't continue, the game was all distorted and nothing was showing up. Something like that, at least.
It could be some kind of savestate corruption problem at times in this game. Well, I would suggest always waiting for frame advance to skip those dead input frames; if that's what they really are it should skip them and pause immediately after.
Active player (302)
Finally someone brought this game up. It's getting pretty lame being the only one making TAS'es for it :p And yeah, this game desynchs ALOT, especially Rescue and i suppose Defection during glitching. Also, Extraction is a pain in the ass with Dr.Caroll dying, i recommend killing most guards in the beginning. And Co-op is probably gonna get a bit confusing isn't it? And it lags a ton.
well I just meant I have about every existing video of PD speedruns, and I'm not so sure how up to date the fastest pd video page is. also, I know a fair deal of things. if you post WIPs, be sure to post savestates too, so I can watch them as you progress (and saves me the trouble of making savestates incorrectly :p)
Well, if you have co-op strategies that'd be great, right now i got to figure out how to get two people to jump on the first guard's head and have them both fall through the level almost simultaneously. Might have to get one person to open the door, close it from behind and then re-open it for the other player if it isn't possible.. no idea which route is the fastest overall. And yea, the screen ratio for co-op is really annoying.. 8:3 or maybe even less like 16:5 with the bar at the bottom of the screen with jabo's plugin.. I'd use direct64 but the background image in the pause and start up menus get really smeared and start freaking out.. vertical aiming will be pretty hard compared to horizontal i'm thinking.
Active player (302)
Do you really need both players to glitch? I mean, one guy gets the computer guy, from here the only thing that matters is the guys speed. So during this time the other player runs down to Cassandra, Takes necklace, runs back up, throw comms thing, Glitches down to lower levels and exits. I'm not sure how fast this can be done in comparasion to the computer guys speed but hopefully it's possible for the other player to simply follow computer guy and download data and when that is done i suppose the level will end immideadly?
Doh, you're right, both don't need to at the beginning. So i suppose one player can reopen the door for the other player as that would be fastest. Player 1: 1. Go immediately to the door, open it, close it, then open it again. 2. Place the first ecm mine. 3. Get the necklace. 4. Go back up to roof to do the glitch. 5. Fall down to outside the 2nd hub and complete that objective. 6. Exit Player 2: 1. Wait until player 1 is completing step 1 and jump on the door to do the glitch. 2. Fall to area with the guy that boots up the computer. 3. (I don't know if pressing start to skip the conversation is faster overall in real time, plus it would prevent player 1 from doing anything at the time) Follow the guy to the computer. 4. Get the files. Any suggestions?
I would think that the most time consuming objective would be the guy walking all the way to the computer.. thus you'd need to get him going asap. which means, 1 of the players needs to do the glitch right away, to get there asap. I suggest using the head of the guard. then with the other player do the following fast and see how it plays out: 1) setup door then go back up and glitch to cass 2) go upstairs and do ecm 1 3) go up again and glitch to do ecm 2 4) open lift door
Yeah, that's what i was saying, but jumping on the first guard's head would involve waiting about 10 or so seconds during the intro movie for him to be in position. So as long as the one player is not going to do the glitch, they can open the door for the other to use as the platform. So the time won't be optimized for this particular level because of that and the pause thing. I found out what causes a savestate not to load correctly once you start replaying the movie. If you load it before frame 608 or abouts it will not work because the game takes a while to load. In other news, this is truely difficult. I dont know if it is jabo's fault or just the fact it is two players but the number of visible frames (for positioning) is low. :(
Player (166)
L4yer wrote:
In other news, this is truely difficult. I dont know if it is jabo's fault or just the fact it is two players but the number of visible frames (for positioning) is low. :(
Perfect Dark has the worst frame rate of almost any N64 game. Have fun.
1 2
14 15