Post subject: Ocarina of Time... 2D?
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
Skilled player (1086)
Damn that looks good. Can't wait until the beta testing's done and we can play it. Doesn't look TASable though, it won't be released in ROM format but in .exe instead :(
Dehacked is TASing flash games already :D He will soon TAS windows executables too by messing with DLLs XD
Ocarina of Time 2D is a big hoax. He has been tossing around the same "screenshots" for years now, and has never shown any kind of actual demo that would take longer than 5 minutes to throw together. Worse yet, he has asked for donations all the way... which he got. As such, he should just release the game and get it over with. At the moment, I bet he doesn't have anything more than a simple demo that showcases the typical Zelda physics.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
There's a big difference between "slow" and "hoax". He explains that he got other stuff like going to the army (i think i read that somewhere).
We all know Nintendo's army of lawyers will just crush it a few weeks before release anyway.
Signature under contruction, still.
Skilled player (1086)
That is a good point that there has been no demo. The screenshots do look good, and what is better is that different parts of the game are recognisable. I'm sceptical as to how it would work, keep in mind that the big thing about OoT was that it was 'Zelda in 3D'. This should be interesting, purely for novel value, but I'm not expecting the best game I've ever played. That is if it even exists, of course.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
I'm happy to see that there at least some others who share my feeling that 3D play ruined gaming. I'm basing this off of the fact that these "3D game in 2D" projects exist (possibly), and that people get excited about them. I'm unfamiliar with legal stuff. What could Nintendo's lawyers do before a release, besides threaten him? If this guy really wants to release his project, then he will. Nintendo could sue him after that, and get a court order to forbid him from distributing it. Luckily, the wonder of the intarweb can handle the distribution for him after that point. Is there more that I'm missing?
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Tub
wow, they finally made a 2d zelda game. time to get all hyped up. </sarcasm> what's so exciting about a new zelda with an old story? It's not like OoT had the greatest story ever told.
m00
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
It should be great because it seems to have AltTP-like gameplay, but with some new items/bosses.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Tub: You play Zelda for its story?
Tub
JXQ: depends, I actually liked the story of minish cap. my point is: neither zelda 2d gameplay is new, nor the story, so what's the big deal?
m00
Former player
I agree with Omega, it's a big hoax. I've been going to his forum that he started, but doesn't own anymore (www.zfgc.com) and he's been going on and off to different things. First he lost all his data and redid the whole engine, then his harddrive corrupted, then he went out to the army, then he decided to convert it to C# (which he isn't anymore). That said, I don't know what to think anymore. At first, back in christmas 2003, everyone was really excited about it as he was going to release demo 4 (1, 2 and 3 were testing demos). Demo 4 is nowadays referred to as "Demo 4 of doom" on the forums as it was the demo that would feature Kokiri Forest up to Gohma. Sadly, this never came true and TRM took off without notice. He has made several returns over the past three years, but he only released the same screenshots over and over again, sometimes with a little spice to them (new graphics and tiles), but never a new zone or anything like it. Very recently TRM (TheRealMethuselah, the creator) came back and told us he was going to show RC1 to Mike "TSA" Damiani. Once he has confirmed that it's just like the original game, it would be released to the public. "Sometime after new years" was the last thing we heard. On the topic of lawsuits, in the early days his yahoo account and site was actually closed down by Yahoo as they were afraid that Nintendo would take actions against them. But if he does release it, I don't think Nintendo would care as long as he doesn't take money for their copyrights. Believe what you want, it's up to TRM to prove that it's not been lying all the time. The members are starting to doubt him.
My published movies [03:45:05] <Naohiro19> Soulrivers: ... [03:45:19] <Soulrivers> ? [03:46:35] <Naohiro19> <Soulrivers> No! <Naohiro19> So? <Soulrivers> Yes! [03:46:48] <Naohiro19> joke
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Tub wrote:
neither zelda 2d gameplay is new, nor the story, so what's the big deal?
The experience of a video game is defined by more than its story and its perspective. OoT is a game I really wanted to like, but the interaction with the third dimension ruined it. If the game is true to OoT's gameplay as one might think it would be in 2D, then it could be a welcome return to a game experience I always wanted to be able to enjoy. The best example is Metroid Prime. The game is shit for countless reasons that detailing would only derail this thread. There was a Metroid Prime 2D in the works at some point, and I was excited about it. Sure, 2D Metroiding isn't new, but a new 2D Metroid game is a neat possibility to think about. Making a 2D version of a previously 3D game adds in nostalgia of the good qualities of whatever game is being transformed, and removes the downsides that a 3D game entails. Those who like 3D games obviously won't understand my angle, and probably don't care much about OoT 2D (or anything else 2D) anyway.
I just remembered Doom 2D :D Even with familiar sprites it was totally different game =(
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
I didn't know there was a Doom 2D. But that's a different scenario: Doom doesn't have predecessors in 2D to remember fondly, which could help enhance the playing experience of a 3D-gone-2D game.
Senior Moderator
What is bad: not every "3D game goes 2D" project is good (as in, not as good as the original game). I had some hopes for Metroid Prime 2D, and I played some of the demos… but I don't know, it didn't feel too "metroidish" to me. Maybe because of considerably poor graphics/music/controls. Maybe because I was too familiar with the other Metroid titles, it let me comprehend MP2d's inferiority. Metroid: Redesign, on the other hand, was more for me than I could ask of two-dimensionized Metroid Prime; although it was a remake of another title of the series, at least it had that feeling™ MP2d doesn't have (yet?). What is good: not every 3D game is bad. Actually, neither of them which don't hinder your interactions with the environment (which was my main problem with console 3D games until Wii came out; it's yet for me to experience if it has actually solved the problem, though), offer immersive atmosphere and allow things not possible in 2D are bad. There's a lot of awesome 3D games even old-school gamers admire. What else: I don't care about OoT 2D in particular, and Zelda series in general. :D But if it's as it sounds, I wouldn't put much hope into the fact of it being done. Three years with so many excuses and none of the actual progress demonstrations? Doesn't look convincing.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
I think it would be cool, but I wouldn't hold my breath for its release.
FODA wrote:
There's a big difference between "slow" and "hoax". He explains that he got other stuff like going to the army (i think i read that somewhere).
Sounds to me like you want this game to be real. That's okay, so do I. I think it'd be very cool if this were real. However, if you take a look at what this guy has done so far -- Soulrivers has given a nice summary of events -- you simply shouldn't believe that he is actually making a game. And again, I should note that he's asked for donations before and got loads of them. EDIT: it's strange that the SA topic you linked to mentions that Daniel Barras got married recently. I remember about a year ago when this hoax was posted on another forum I frequent. Some of that forum's members had been following the game from the start and were quick to mention how dubious it is. Then someone else posted a wedding photo of Daniel Barras and asked other members to Photoshop it. So I guess that he either got married again, or he is using his wedding photo as a means of getting his audience to like him.
Banned User, Former player
There are two possibilities, either it's a hoax, ie. an intentional fraud to get money, or it could also just be vaporware (in the same way as eg. Duke Nukem Forever). As seen from DNF, even a big team of developers can have so many troubles in making a game that it becomes a hopeless vaporware. DNF has been in developement since 1997, and apparently the developement is still going on with full intentions of publication some day. If this is so for a professional team of developers, more the likely it can happen with just one amateur. But of course it could also be an ebalorated hoax to get attention and money.
Former player
Actually, I've played a demo of this long ago, but last I heard of it it was crushed by nintendo. Unless this is a DIFFERENT OoT 2D than the one I'm familiar with.
Editor, Player (67)
JXQ wrote:
Tub: You play Zelda for its story?
What's wrong with that? Sadly (?), I have become rather disappointed with the series for various reasons, so I'm mostly following it now to find out the timeline. I remember when the OoT2D project was started with Game Maker. There was at least one demo where you could walk around an area, but there weren't any usable items that I can remember. I don't think it's a hoax, but I wouldn't be surprised if it took a while to actually be released.
Current Projects: TAS: Wizards & Warriors III.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
I've played the GB demo of OoT where you play up to Gohma, certain locations in Kokiri were wrong which confused for quite a long time at the start of the game, It is harder than the 3D version, as some of the puzzles needed to be adapted for the 2D version and so many have evil twists to them. I personally think the project has died and the chances of even seeing a remotley completed project are next to nil.