1 2
7 8
Post subject: F-Zero X Time Trial
Editor, Experienced player (730)
I am very pleased to announce that I have found someone not in our forum community who is working on a TAS for F-Zero X, doing the Time Trials (I had surmised that TT is better than GP; I was correct when i discussed this with many F-Zero X experts.) He is aiming to do some courses individually, until such time that he is completely familiar with all TASing elements, where he will create one .m64 that goes through all 24 courses in sequential order, and possibly submit it here. The guy is JKT, who is indisputably the founder of all advanced techniques for the game and the WR setter for some of the courses. I was very lucky to have entered the F-Zero X community and to offer to try a TAS, which I ended up with no success, but I was able to inspire JKT to try it, and within a few days he had one course done which breaks the barrier on what was thought possible by human hand. There are videos of the WR's here (F-Zero X site and here (speeddemosarchive); these can be used to see what the WR's look like for the courses, to get a sense of human limitations. For those that don't know, F-Zero X can reach speeds of up to 3,000 km/h, and is really fast paced and intense. The WR vids are very speedy and entertaining, and this TAS just obliterates the competition. WR Time for Mute City 3: 1'08"36 TAS Time for Mute City 3: 58"36 MC3 TAS MPG youtube I am very much looking forward to more TASes that JKT makes, and I will be sure to show them all in here. Hopefully, we will eventually get a submittable .m64.
Homepage ☣ Retired
Editor, Player (53)
JKT didn't only published the advance moves on F-zero X, but he's a legend & former champion until he retired, so he know this game more than anyone & has some crazy unhuman techniques that I'm eager to see (just like in this run)
I'm the best in the Universe! Remember that!
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
I like what I see here. This'll be a great TAS. Almost, but not quite, as broken as Mario Kart 64.
Editor, Player (53)
Well unlike MK, in this game there are some check-points, so you just can't cut wherever you want, there are only a few places where you can cut some road. However, floating near the road (like in some parts in the run) is very possible... Otherwise, you could had cut the track since the 1st jumper... ;)
That could easly turn out to be a great run. I hope he follows through.
Has never colored a dinosaur.
*picks self up off of floor* Wow. I was a BIG fan of this game back in the day. That run was just INCREDIBLE. Looking forward to more.
I am just a silhouette, a silhouette of a memory of a solitary night .. nothing more.
Player (67)
Holy crap. That was infraggletasticredible. Can't wait to see more. Would be nice if someone could explain why TT is "better" than GP, though.
Can do. In Mario Kart 64, I made an analysis of GP vs. TT and came to the conclusion that the differences favored GP for a TAS: there were other CPUs which created more shortcuts; access to items that made more shortcuts possible; and faster 150cc speed. I theorized that a TAS of the courses in GP would be significantly different from the TT WR videos; I was very much correct. For F-Zero X, GP does not offer as many differences to TT. There are 20+ other cars, but they do not offer anything shortcut wise, and in fact can even be detrimental to getting a good start. No items, no faster speed, and not additional shortcuts that are available in GP makes it not beat TT in any way. The TT WR vids for F-Zero X are very tight, but when it comes to inhuman maneuvers that this TAS video demonstrates, A TT TAS is better suited. Hope that clears it up.
Homepage ☣ Retired
Skilled player (1086)
Whoa, that was simply breath-taking. I really hope he finishes it. Breakneck speed TASes are always great, but this makes the eyes bleed. I am most definitely on the edge of my seat waiting for this.
Player (36)
He lapped the staff ghost. Lapped the staff ghost... That's just unhealthy. Keep it up!
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
The fact that he beat the WR by 10 seconds is, to me, more impressive than the fact that he lapped the staff ghost (since the staff ghost does not use advanced techniques). But yeah, it is awesome stuff and I look forward to more runs he makes. I just knew this game was massivley TASable.
Homepage ☣ Retired
Player (36)
I'm assuming the 64DD is massively unemulated, but if I'm wrong, will there be a chance of doing the 64DD tracks?
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Most likely not. I could ask the F-Zero Community, but chances are that emulating 64DD on mupen, and be able to TAS it or replay it properly to view might not work so well.... I assume for now the 24 tracks should be enough.
Homepage ☣ Retired
Former player
comicalflop wrote:
The fact that he beat the WR by 10 seconds is, to me, more impressive than the fact that he lapped the staff ghost (since the staff ghost does not use advanced techniques). But yeah, it is awesome stuff and I look forward to more runs he makes. I just knew this game was massivley TASable.
He beats the WR (1'03) by nearly 5 seconds and some staff ghosts do use sliding, i can't remeber the courses but you can't beat the sg in the same machine without the use of sliding I think. Manipulating some funny and entertaining X-cup tracks could be a good idea too.
.:| www.superplayers.de |:.
Player (36)
There are some X Cup tracks where all of the computer players die, and there are others that are hilariously buggy.
Editor, Player (53)
Burning Death wrote:
He beats the WR (1'03) by nearly 5 seconds and some staff ghosts do use sliding, i can't remeber the courses but you can't beat the sg in the same machine without the use of sliding I think.
Mmm, I'm not sure if you can beat them with the same car, but beating them with a jumper (like Twin Noritta) is quite possible. As for looping a staff, mmm I only remember it was done on 1-2 tracks before (WL2 & most likely SP) though it's been a while since I follow the WR's :P
OmnipotentEntity wrote:
There are some X Cup tracks where all of the computer players die, and there are others that are hilariously buggy.
You mean buggy like when there are some wierd turns & so?
samurai goroh wrote:
Mmm, I'm not sure if you can beat them with the same car, but beating them with a jumper (like Twin Noritta) is quite possible.
I always thought the Devil's Forest 3 staff ghost wasn't beaten with a jumper, was it?
Editor, Player (53)
I'm sure JKT did, you needed a good dive at the end of the track in order to beat him. (or maybe he was just really close, though I doubt it :P)
Fire Field is done. Damn JKT works fast! youtube
Homepage ☣ Retired
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
They may be impressive when compared to the WRs but I have serious doubts about how optimal the stuff really is, my guess is JKT is still learning the TASing process so he should improve fairly quickly over time.
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
That was nuts. W00t!
Player (67)
I'm so glad the game has these checkpoints, because that means you have to (sort of) drive over the whole track. Otherwise, each track would just be completed in 5 seconds and it wouldn't be very fun. This could become the most insanely fast TAS ever made. Awesome stuff!
Editor, Player (53)
AKA wrote:
They may be impressive when compared to the WRs but I have serious doubts about how optimal the stuff really is, my guess is JKT is still learning the TASing process so he should improve fairly quickly over time.
Yea, it seems they aren't optimal. But why do it if it's just to practice with the tool... I'm sure he'll hit 3,000 Km when possible on the final run. As for Fire Field, whoa, I didn't knew you could float again after the zipper past the ramp o_O The tracks I want to see most are Sector Beta & Big Blue, I'm sure those 2 will also be insane :D
Active player (308)
Just like I told you, Comicalflop, mario kart sux. F-zero is 500% better
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
I like MK64 500x better (that's way more than 500% btw)
1 2
7 8