Post subject: Skullmonkeys
Emulator Coder, Former player
I'm working on a test run: Part 1 - Science Center, Monkey Shrines, Hard Boiler, Sno, Skullmonkey Brand Hot Dogs Part 2 - Skullmonkey Brand Hot Dogs, Joe Head Joe, Elevated Structure of Terror, Ynt Death Garden Movie file. mz plays the alternate version of Sno here.
I have to admit to you, this movie is not interesting at all. I have never played (or heard of) this game, but from what I can tell all you do is run from point A to point B with nothing interesting in between. The levels are also bland, IMO, with enemies to jump on, but nothing to really do. I would probably vote a 3-4 for entertainment, if this was on the workbench... of course, if you wish to continue with the run, go for it! It just isn't my type of game. :)
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
I probably wouldn't find this run interesting at all if I hadn't played the game a lot back when it came out. The game is pretty repetitive, and it's long too; I think a full run would be just under 40 minutes.
mz
Player (79)
I agree, this game is very repetitive and long. The only good points about it are its graphics and music (and it's an easy game to TAS :P). I don't think it could ever get accepted on this site, but I love watching these videos anyway (I played this game a lot back then too).
You're just fucking stupid, everyone hates you, sorry to tell you the truth. no one likes you, you're someone pretentious and TASes only to be on speed game, but don't have any hope, you won't get there.
Yeah, it's a shame the gameplay is so bad since the graphics and music are really nice. Part 3 - Ynt Mines, Ynt Weeds, Ynt Eggs, Glenn Yntis, Monk Rushmore, Soar Head The most entertaining part is Glenn Yntis at 7:57. Movie file.
Active player (308)
In this game, skipping the FMVs is a terrible idea.
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
Agreed, but they're all over YouTube anyway. Beans is one of the funnier ones.
Active player (308)
Yeah, it was my favorite when I played it.
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
mz
Player (79)
Part 3 was a lot more entertaining than the first two. I take back what I said about this game not being good enough for this site. :P Actually, most of the time it feels like Donkey Kong Country, but without the annoying bonus stages... I hope you can finish the last few levels.
paul_t wrote:
Beans is one of the funnier ones.
Hah, I remember that one... One of my favorites too.
You're just fucking stupid, everyone hates you, sorry to tell you the truth. no one likes you, you're someone pretentious and TASes only to be on speed game, but don't have any hope, you won't get there.
Part 4 - Soar Head, Shards, Castle de Los Muertos, Monkey Mage, The Incredible Drivy Runn, Worm Graveyard, Klogg Part 5 - Evil Engine #9 Movie File.
Post subject: Skullmonkeys
gabgamer
He/Him
Banned User
Skullmonkeys is the sequel to the video game, The Neverhood, created by animator Doug TenNapel. ¿someone will make a speed run with this game?
Active player (258)
I've actually been wondering about this game myself since after a few of my projects I want to tackle the PS1 version of The Neverhood. I do know someone made some "test" TASes, but that was years ago and I'm sure we (yes I'm including myself as I'll be looking into the game) can find more interesting/optimal movement tech/strats than was thought of back then. I'll look into it.
Somewhat damaged.
Post subject: Let's have a crack at this...
Hey all, I'm having another go at this, as I feel that 8-ish years is long enough between goes at a Skullmonkeys TAS. The run and it's route is inspired pretty heavily by Myzlstyx's 1:04:01 Single Segment. So far, I've got the first few worlds done in a rough TAS - using this as a means of learning Bizhawk at the same time, so I'm going to have a second pass on the whole thing when I'm done to add some polish and fine tuning (there are definitely some rough bits so far). At the moment, I'm running this on the US version, but I've got an inkling that there might be some possible timesaves using the JP version due to there being less cutscenes when you boot (really need to do some actual analysis of this first though) Full playlist here! World 01 - Science Center World 02 - Monkey Shrines World 03 - Hard Boiler World 04 - Sno World 05 - Skullmonkeys Branded Hotdogs I'll start posting analysis of movement and such over the next few days - been doing some movie captures of the different states Kaymen is in when he moves/jumps, and how long the inputs needs to be. Anyways, hopefully there's some interest in this one? It's not the most interesting of TASes, but I feel like it's got enough fun movement in it that it's still good to watch. Feedback definitely appreciated - this is by NO MEANS a properly optimised run yet, and I'd love to have a list of improvements to work from when I go back through.
Twitter: @mystery_editor
Editor, Skilled player (1278)
I don't know the game, but these videos look decent. When doing the true TAS, you should really try to do something for entertainment in the autoscroll lecels (last video). Also, the diference in booting time between two different version of a game is usually not taken into account when judging a movie.
Thanks for the reply! Didn't realise boot time wouldn't be accounted for, so good to know. Definitely, the autoscroll sections have plenty of opportunity for some decent playaround as the game is glitchy as hell with it's animation interrupts alone - I'll make sure to keep it interesting on the second pass!
Two new segments completed! World 06 - Elevated Structure of Terror World 07 - Ynt Death Garden These two are the main points of re-routing that'll need doing - there are a few points in Ynt Death Gardens where having the two extra ammo I neglected to collect in Elevated Structure of Terror would've meant I could've avoided taking a hit, which whilst gliding resets my velocity to walking speed instead of running. For now, I just wanted to get them done, but writing this here so I don't forget. Started doing some images up of movement analysis as well, will post them once I've got a bit more done on it...