1 2
7 8
Post subject: Breath of Fire 3
Being my favorite game from the BoF series, and seeing some others mention this in the Wishlist thread, is there anyone willing to give it a go?
Me in the other thread wrote:
Garr's Gambit (halves hit%, critical if hits) costs 0 AP, so it could be abused quite nicely. Other zero cost skills that might be mapulatable include Jump (Random damage), Multistrike (1-3 attacks, half damage per attack) and Risky Blow (same as Gambit). Garr can also get his best weapon (in terms of attack power), by around mid-game, the only minus being that he takes 5% MaxHP damage each turn in battle. As for characters, I think Ryu and Garr would be best, with either Rei (his best weapon is a really rare drop from a really rare and powerful monster) or Momo (her best weapon has the highest power of all weapons and can be bought). The Chain Formation is extremely powerful if you take your time to get it and level Ryu so he has a lot of Agility, that way you can get EX Turns even against the last boss with all your characters. I'm really not sure which Masters would be the best, but since most attacks will most likely be physical attacks, then any master that gives +Power are probably best for this sort of game.
Actually, in the above, Rei has the best natural Agility, so he should ne used if you need high speed. One skill that could be abused is the Super Combo. Costs 8 AP, and you need to press the buttons that appear on the screen in certain time (I think it's 12 seconds or so) and it then does damage according to how many hits you got. With frame advance you could get absolutely crazy amount of hits for some really nasty damage, and as this skill is available quite early in the game (Master Bunyan), I'm pretty sure it could be used speed through any battles you need to fight. Of course, this is going to be quite a long TAS, as the current non-TAS is something like 7-8 hours.
Former player
Super combo doesn't give off much damage. It would be better to manipulate criticals and reprisals.
I think.....therefore I am not Barry Burton
Well, we know nobody will be using nina or peco at least.
Former player
Blaise wrote:
Nina, probably. Peco, possibly. Peco is a blank slate of sorts anyway, and with the lavaman experience builder, you can get him to level 32 or so in a single fight. With the right master, his stats would put him right up there really quickly, although he'd be way behind in speed.
Blaise wrote:
Peco could be useful, as he has the second highest def and highest HP off all the characters and a reprisal rate of 50%! If you can manipulate enemies to hit him, that could help quite a bit in dealing damage. Apprenticing him under Fahl makes him a really tough little critter. These might be of some use: http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/breath_of_fire_iii_stat_gains.txt and http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/breath_of_fire_iii_hidden.txt
Active player (278)
:( if only i had completed BOF 2 more quickly... good luck!
Would Chain formation be worth the time it takes to get it? You're missing out on stat increases, there's either the missing time spent re-assigning the master or the lost EXP if re-assigning is avoided by making Nina learn it, and there's backtracking and additional stops to visit the kids.
Working on a mod of an old favorite in my spare time. PM for updates!
Former player
Not worth the time at all IMO. Takes far too long to get and isn't worth the benefits when you can manipulate critical's and instant death attacks.
I think.....therefore I am not Barry Burton
Active player (278)
since no one wants to do it... http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/350480733/movie.pxm The beginning, I'm up to the first village. I even found a (real-time) speedrun guide, whi9ch should be very helful. Although, for the first run, I did pick up a few more items, jsut in case...
If you haven't seen it already, you might want to refer to DavidK5's speedrun of the game. http://dk.speedrunwiki.com/BOF3/
Wren
He/Him
*explodes with glee*
<i>A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.</i>
Nice :) Wip now on youtube. Also, I know that your a great turbo button user... so here a script that might help you : autoPress.lua | direct (right click > save to...) edith: Look like you might prefer to use the "Vsync Advance" hotkey instead of "Frame Advance". Apparantly the emulator tend to drop 1-2 frames with the regular "Frame Advance" hotkey.
I believe Janus will be going for the good ending, which means picking everything up, right? I'm not sure if all techniques and whatnot count toward the good ending in this game like they did in the first game...
Mastania
He/Him
Kitsune wrote:
I believe Janus will be going for the good ending, which means picking everything up, right?
No, you just have to choose to fight Teepo in Eden. The speedrun guide on GFAQs is a bit outdated now. If you keep doing it in smallish chunks though I'll be sure to mention anything as it comes up.
Waddle Waggle Wattle
Active player (278)
I believe Janus will be going for the good ending, which means picking everything up, right
not in this game, as far as I can remember. I do hope the warrior gene (my favorite one) isn't too far off. Its fighter ability was my saving before crossing the great ocean as for the turbo : er, I'm not familiar with LUA. how does it work? but thanks for the V synch, I will give it a try
Wren
He/Him
I'm curious if you think it would be possible to take down Balio and Sunder in the Wyndia dungeon? You could get a Broad Sword (not great) and Asbestos Armor (armor not seen again until the Volcano)... not sure how much time would be needed to make them run but living shouldn't be too hard unless you are keeping Ryu level 1 for Bunyan power abuse or something. Sunder can be talked into attacking his brother by using influence and Nina runs away once awakened, which can be done simply by healing her. I think the brothers run away like 2 or 3 turns after that point. No idea if a lot of damage needs to be done to make them drop the items though. Also to prevent confusion I want to make it clear I am in no way talking about the fight in Cedar Woods. It is not a fight you can win and if you claim you did you are a liar.
<i>A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.</i>
Player (244)
Interesting, I knew that this game moved slowly, but I didn't know it was slow enough where you could easily read the dialogue in a TAS. This might actually a plus! Also, I would LOVE to see a maxed fishing score, if only to validate all of the theories I (and others) have laid out here. But also because it would be fun to watch.
Wren
He/Him
Hey, ElectroSpecter, you might be interested in a code I made for BoF3 a few years back. "My codes\Press L1 to catch fish instantly d0145AA4 0400 80144002 003e (if this code doesn't work you might need to do some tweaking. When I made the code its first line was d0145AA3 0400 originally and I know that works fine for PEC but I've been told it will not work on a real system and that's why the line was changed... but when I just tried to use that in PEC it didn't work. I'll probably tweak it later, but for now I'm trying to do something else.) I might be able to verify what you want to know through some sort of code... maybe one to make it so you always catch a big fish or something. If it's like BoF4 each fish has a max limit to its points given so I could probably narrow that value down or something. In BoF4 it was really fairly simple to just use the journal to find that out, maybe BoF3 would work the same way. EDIT: Also, Janus, I made a topic over at GameFAQs calling the vets to come here. It'll be worth taking a look at the topic from time to time. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/196817-breath-of-fire-iii/57517886
Editor, Emulator Coder
LIFE'S A BEACH Y'ALL!!
Player (244)
Wren wrote:
I might be able to verify what you want to know through some sort of code... maybe one to make it so you always catch a big fish or something. If it's like BoF4 each fish has a max limit to its points given so I could probably narrow that value down or something.
Nice code! I guess what I've been wondering is if it really is possible to get a score of 9,999. A fellow named Terence produced the formula for the fish scoring for me a while ago as well as maximum scores for each fish. The formula is:
Points = [[10 * Catch Length / Target Length] * Max Points / 10]
Now, he either derived the max scores for individual fish from that formula or just pulled them directly from the ROM or whatever, but the problem (and I've experienced this personally as well as reading posts from others) is that some fish just seem impossible to catch at max length. There's either something weird going on in the code that prevents you from doing this, or maybe the chances are just incredibly low. Thinking about it now, this may make sense (especially for fish that have longer lengths) if the population of any given type of fish is distributed Normally. Extreme lengths would be very rare. I have caught full length fish though, on console, like a 200 cm barandy (one that many people have had trouble with).
Former player
There's always the option of a powerlevelling fight against lavamen, where you can spend 4-5 turns powering it up with fire attacks until it reaches the exp cap (and abusing the ability to dodge their now superpowered near instant kill attacks), and then just offing it in a quick fashion.
Wren
He/Him
Well after some rummaging around I found out that the size of every fish is decided when you enter a fishing screen (not sure exactly when or why). I located one fishes size at offset 00146e6c. I'm sure somebody more talented than myself could use that address to watch some memory addresses associated with it... I'm really only good at finding code values for simple gameshark codes so aside from brute forcing that specific value higher I can't do much else to it. I screwed around with a huge chunk of the data in that area and never managed to change the jellyfish into anything else but I did locate the fishes position in the water at address 00146e15-16 and 00146e19-1a. Hopefully that will help you in some way and I'm not done rummaging yet so I might find some other things. This info even has a bit of use as far as the TAS goes. Eventually 1 fish must be caught so manipulating its position to be close to the start will be helpful.
Mastania
He/Him
It takes 14 (well, 15, but the difference isn't important) boosts to max out a Lava Man's exp, at 64563. Beating two would be enough to send Ryu straight to ~Lv38, two characters to ~Lv32, or three to ~Lv29. Beating them when they have 999 Def will involve Spirit Blast/Frost or Iceblast/a crit maybe, as well as Fire nulling/absorbing gear. I think inoculations stack with gear, if not it's easily check-able. IMO it would kinda suck a lot of the variety out of the game though, and in a TAS that's going to be around 8 or 9 hours long that's a pretty big deal. It might not even be worth the time it takes, considering it would take multiple minutes to set up, and Ryu in the right dragon form should be hitting 999 Pwr by the end of the game anyway. Because this is a TAS, I think a lot of things might not turn out to be necessary. The ability to crit/dodge on demand means that dragons/masters won't be as big of a deal as they are normally. Meryleep may allow for EX-turns against Gaist, and the passive +10 to dodge% might help with luck forcing, but there will be no reason to get Shadowwalk. Bunyan teaches Super Combo, which could be used to achieve infinite hax in a TAS, but again it would only be awesome to watch the first time. Dragon-wise, outside of a couple of cases, crits will do just as much as using dragon forms to hit elemental weaknesses, and early on the turn it takes to transform for a small Pwr boost could be spent attacking instead. I might actually just go ahead and right up a whole possible route plan, what with this being my favourite game and all. Final note, if a fishing extravaganza is done, I think it should be done as a proof-of-concept example rather than as part of a real run. I don't think it would be particularly interesting to watch, much less to create :/
Waddle Waggle Wattle
Active player (278)
http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/796868485/movie.pxm Took care of the first boss in only 3 rounds! Next time, I suppose I could kill of Rei or Teepo... I will also go for the fishing to get the silver knife.
Janus, Janus, Janus. You're a freak. You only go after long games. Are you trying to establish a record on the site? :p Someone made a topic on the GameFAQs board, and one of the game's veterans gave various thoughts about possible strategies that could be used. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/196817-breath-of-fire-iii/57517886 Not that I have any experience with actual TASing other than watching them, but I believe the Lava Man trick might be the way to go, since you get crazy experience. It takes a while to do it, but you get so many levels, which make every single boss fight shorter afterwards, since you hit for more. Besides, you may get a powerful skill from a master you are training under, such as Shadowwalk, etc. Not sure that would end up faster though. I'm not a veteran of the game anymore, as I haven't played in so many years that I forgot a lot of stuff. I wish you the best of luck. This is promising.
janus wrote:
I do hope the warrior gene (my favorite one) isn't too far off. Its fighter ability was my saving before crossing the great ocean
The Force Gene (which is required for the Warrior form) is found in the underground lab at the plant, which you get access to roughly midway through the game, when Ryu is adult. It's not too far off the beaten path, in a vent.
I lurk, okay?
1 2
7 8