This submittion is my third run.
Possibly I may like broken RPGs.
I cannot write so many sentences, because I'm very weak in English.
If there is some wrong point, please show me it.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: FCEU 0.98.28
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Uses Warp
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Manipulates luck
  • Uses Japanese version

About this version

The thing which there is only in this version.

A map as the item, bread crumb glitch.

The thing which there is not in this version.

B-Dash, instant map, button setting, mysterious cave to the last battle.

Luck manipulation

You can evade a battle by showing a menu right before an enemy appears. When a level advances, you can control the increase of the value by a timing to push the A button. Five values are decided at the same time, and the increase of HP and PP are decided in an individual timing.
There is not this glitch on prototype version and GBA version. Individual cannot have many bread crumbs, and cannot too give it, because it records a using bread position to character information. However, the bread crumb which Pippi made is returned to boy after she withdrew in Pippi's house. You can warp to zero-zero position if boy has never used bread. The unused area has a tileset upset. You can restore a right position and tileset by using bread in the broken world. Unfortunately you can't restore right data by using map.
Addition: There is not this glitch in GBA and prototype version.

About the run

In my home

First two fight's RNG was not good. But it was not shortened even if I manipulate luck more than it. I get a plastic bat for a sale purpose. There is the map in the my home's basement, but there is not the bread.

Helps Pippi

I rescue Pippi and answer her question in order of "NO" and "YES" to get a Franklin Badge. I drop in at the department store before going to the mayor's office. I sell off a plastic bat for $40 and withdraw $50. I purchase three loaves of bread for $30x3 in the fourth floor, and Pippi uses one loaf. You will lose 16 frames if you stayed having stopped when you repeat the opening and shutting of the menu. I get $100 from the mayor and say goodbye to Pippi and meet her again in her house and have a boy return her bread crumb. You can go to the broken world by using this bread crumb.

Meets the girl

You can meet Giegue by using bread in front position of the Giegue's cave. You must increase levels to defeat Giegue, but must increase levels in the outside because this version does not have a mysterious cave. I increase friends to perform the both. I warp from the broken world to the clifftop near girl's house, and use bread again there. I go to Reindeer Station to get her hat. I purchase three loaves of bread again in the middle. I return by the bread crumb after get a hat. I use bread again on the cliff and return after add her to a party member. In the case of other tile sets, the outside is filled up with tree and cliff, but can walk in Snowman outside endlessly.

Go to the Mt. Itoi.

The boy gives a girl bread and a Franklin Badge in the middle toward the Giegue's cave. Each of him and her uses bread and makes a bread crumb. I warp in the suitable place and fight the LastStarmen. The girl reflects PK Beam Gamma by Franklin Badge's effect and wins for this battle, but the boy dies. I manipulate luck so that fight values do not increase to shorten it. I reduce the opportunity when HP and PP increase and aim at huge increase. Finally she learns only PSI Shield Alpha and gets a PSI stone. I restore HP in Life-Up Beta, and PP is restored with three times of PSI Stones, too. And I warp to the front of the cave and, with the bread crumb which I prepared, fight against Giegue.

The Final battle

I manipulate luck and take the precedence and use PSI Shield Alpha. I use guard and Life-Up Beta till I get possible to sing. I manipulate luck and reduce damage and use sing and Life-Up Beta in turn and I sing nine times and defeat Giegue.

To Be Continued

I had to push the A button last to witness To Be Continued.

Special Thanks

MON: He devised the model of the method to meet with Giegue directly.
And thank you for reading this submission, enjoy the run!

adelikat: Accepting for publication alongside the USA version. For now, it will be called the glitched-any% unless someone has a better suggestion.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2248: pirohiko's NES EarthBound Beginnings in 25:41.67
The Bread crumb glitch confuses me. However, Nice run! Never new you could beat it that fast! Definite yes vote.
Currently working on: -Possibly the Wily Tower (Mega Man the Wily Wars)
Skilled player (1404)
Take a melody, Simple as be, Add a few words And sweet harmony. Raise your voices All day long now, Love grows strong now. Sing a melody of love, O-oh, love. You know, for being as goofy and light-hearted as these games are, they sure do offer some spectacularly creepy final bosses. Nice run, but I will refrain from voting. My reason: I'm not sure if it would be permitted, but the North American prototype includes a run button for non-combat situations, doubling walking speed. If the bread glitch works in it, then that is probably the version that should be used. Keep in mind that it was used in the GBA Japanese rerelease, making it more official. It also has a much more interesting ending than just credits. (of course, that would mean three quarters of the run would be taken up by the final battle and the ending, instead of half...) Still, very nice.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
I'll vote yes when I finish watching the movie. Edit: Just realised it used the (J) ROM rather than the not demiforce hack prototype thingo.
Ferret Warlord wrote:
Nice run, but I will refrain from voting. My reason: I'm not sure if it would be permitted, but the North American prototype includes a run button for non-combat situations, doubling walking speed. If the bread glitch works in it, then that is probably the version that should be used. Keep in mind that it was used in the GBA Japanese rerelease, making it more official. It also has a much more interesting ending than just credits.
It says in the submission text that the glitch is missing from the other two versions.
Skilled player (1404)
Cheezwizz wrote:
It says in the submission text that the glitch is missing from the other two versions.
Well, in that case I'll just click that little button labeled, "Yes." How did I miss that?
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Skilled player (1768)
Ferret Warlord wrote:
Cheezwizz wrote:
Well, in that case I'll just click that little button labeled, "Yes." How did I miss that?
I'm sorry I added an insufficient sentence some time ago.
Active player (277)
Yeah, I thought Pirohiko edited that information in in response to your post, Ferret Warlord.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Former player
Voting yes, about time someone did a run of this game. I'd also like to see a glitchless run. Shame it wasn't the US prototype.
I think.....therefore I am not Barry Burton
gocha
Any
Emulator Coder, Former player
pirohiko has uploaded the video of the run. http://circle.zoome.jp/TAS/media/46/ Walking endlessly is much boring, but the run much breaks the limit of the game, and it somewhat impressed me, anyway. I'll vote yes.
I am usually available on Discord server or Twitter.
Player (58)
They made an EarthBound for the NES? I had no idea!
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Mother 1 was for NES. Mother 2 was SNES (aka Earthbound) Mother 3 was for GBA. This submission is right on time! The Mother series is being marathoned right now at TheSpeedGamers in the name of charity.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Captain Forehead wrote:
They made an EarthBound for the NES? I had no idea!
One more enlightened viewer, YAY! Also, I'm totally in favor of another game being annihilated, and this game is certainly one that deserves it! Broken as it can be, I love it, and I hope it breaks more in the future. YAY!
"If any man is not free, then I too, am a small pie made of chicken"
Okay, it gets a meh from me, however, it is a very 'strong' meh. The extrenuous amount of (slow) walking and lack of entertainment in general is entirely the fault of the game, so technically, you get a yes vote from me. Long story short, games fault for my meh vote.
I expect good things from this run, though I currently lack the time to view it. However, I do have the time to appreciate the number of rerecords. Update: Not too shabby. Interesting to see some of the differences between this and the English-version prototype. I wonder, though, if there's a way to cut down on time by doing something more to increase Ana's HP enough so that it doesn't blink blue every second turn against Giegue? Edited because I suck at names.
Skilled player (1768)
Priam wrote:
I expect good things from this run, though I currently lack the time to view it. However, I do have the time to appreciate the number of rerecords. Update: Not too shabby. Interesting to see some of the differences between this and the English-version prototype. I wonder, though, if there's a way to cut down on time by doing something more to increase Pippi's HP enough so that it doesn't blink blue every second turn against Giegue?
When HP is less than a quarter, a blue bar is displayed. Therefore you must defeat in total 3*2 or 4*2 LastStarmen. It takes time of about around 40 seconds. The maximum to be provided is as follows. 27 + Strength*2 = Maximum Level 10 : 27 + (3 + 09*2) * 2 = 69 Level 13 : 27 + (3 + 12*2) * 2 = 81 Level 14 : 27 + (3 + 13*2) * 2 = 85 However, it takes too much time to manipulate below damage 30 in the battle with Giegue. In any case I do not think that it is fast. And, she is Ana not Pippi :) Addition: I revised a calculation.
Noted. I thought the threshold was further down than 1/4 HP, but that's what I get for not touching the game since 2001. Yes voted.
Player (104)
I voted meh, this run is actually very boring to me...and I like when RPGs are destroyed. I was hoping for 25 minutes of goodness and ended up with....20 minutes of confusion and monotony. I won't vote no cause it is cool to be able to beat this game in such a short time, but you really have to know what's going on with this glitch to be interested.
Soft Blue Dragon
A very interesting run. I assume that you could do a similar glitch when Teddy takes Lloyd's stuff, and when Lloyd takes back Teddy's stuff? What exactly happens if you try this on the other game versions? Does Pippi simply not give you the bread crumbs, or is Ninten's warp-location set to Pippi's? Also, I'm surprised that this glitch hasn't been made more public until now. Given that the developers knew about it and fixed it for the abandoned NES release, it must have been discovered a lot by Japanese gamers (or a developer just a had "wait a minute" moment during translation). Anyways, besides the wow-factor of the glitch, the run was somewhat boring with the slow walking on an endless white field. But, then again, the non-glitched run of this game isn't an action-packed fun-fest, either. Both runs display great technical knowledge, luck-manipulation, and route-planning. They also have different game versions, different party members, and different entertainment-failings (slow walking vs. power-levelling). I vote for both runs to be published. If I had to choose one, the objective side of me says that this run is absolutely the fastest, and makes use of the glitches that TASes are famous for. The subjective side of me says that the other run is more entertaining, and makes more use of the luck-manipulation that TASes are famous for. Neither have much in the way of insane reflexes and acrobatics that TASes are famous for.
Skilled player (1768)
Floogal wrote:
I assume that you could do a similar glitch when Teddy takes Lloyd's stuff, and when Lloyd takes back Teddy's stuff? What exactly happens if you try this on the other game versions? Does Pippi simply not give you the bread crumbs, or is Ninten's warp-location set to Pippi's?
Only Pippi of the first version seems to have been overlooked carelessly. In all other cases to entrust with goods, it is designed so that a bread crumb is lost.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1303] NES EarthBound Beginnings (Japan) "warp glitch" by pirohiko in 25:41.67
Brilliant game screenshot! Beautiful![/sarcasm] May wanna fix that.
Player (120)
Give a suggestion and an editor (me or someone faster) will gladly put it up :)
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
mz
Player (79)
You're just fucking stupid, everyone hates you, sorry to tell you the truth. no one likes you, you're someone pretentious and TASes only to be on speed game, but don't have any hope, you won't get there.
Player (120)
Done, though it may take some time to appear. Thanks mz! edit: cool, i broke it! :S
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs