(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page

Game objectives

  • Emulator used: BizHawk 2.8
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Luck manipulation
  • Glitch abuse
  • Wrong Warps

Comments

Here's an improved Journey To Silius TAS. I managed to save 4603 frames (roughly 74 seconds) thanks to the wrong warps which were discovered by BadBrakes and Chambers_N has made some videos on them which helped me greatly.

Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 5

These stages remain unchanged, I tried to improve them but it wasn't worth the hassle, those stages are solid already.

Stage 3 & Stage 4

Here's where all the time saves are. Around 5 years ago it was discovered that you could trick the game into thinking you went past a certain screen, thus triggering a checkpoint. By making the player walk very slowly at the end of an elevator you can make the current screen value (017E) increment if the X micro frame value (0031) is greater than zero, for each increment the X micro frame value will decrement. Using this trick and some damage boosts to get killed right after the manipulation I was able to save roughly 75 seconds.

Stage 5's First Boss

Due to the player placement right after the second wrong warp I had to use some extra ammo to beat the last enemy before stage 4's boss fight. Which meant that the game would automatically switch me back to the default weapon. So I had to lose 100 frames there.

Useful memory addresses

  • 0506 - X Position (Cam) ; Unsigned 1 bit
  • 0500 - X Position ; Unsigned 1 bit
  • 0501 - X Position (Sub) ; Unsigned 1 bit
  • 0507 - Y Position (Cam) ; Unsigned 1 bit
  • 0504 - X-Speed ; Signed 1 bit
  • 001F - Boss HP ; Unsigned 1 bit
  • 00B0 - Player HP ; Unsigned 1 bit
  • 00B1 - Player Ammo ; Unsigned 1 bit

Thanks to:

  • Zakem66 for his TAS which this is based off, other than not having the wrong warps it is perfect.
  • BadBrakes for first reporting on this discovery.
  • Chambers_N for the videos he's made about this trick.

feos: Claiming for judging.

EZGames69: Processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Experienced Forum User, Moderator
Joined: 8/3/2004
Posts: 12750
Location: 127.0.0.1
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #7639: Riyan & Zakem66's NES Journey to Silius in 07:36.27
MrTASer
He/Him
Experienced Forum User, Player (151)
Joined: 7/3/2021
Posts: 122
Location: Udaipur, Rajasthan, India, God'sBeautifulWorld
Wow ! What a good mix of platforming and shooting... YES Vote
Experienced Forum User, Skilled player (1594)
Joined: 9/17/2009
Posts: 4886
Location: ̶C̶a̶n̶a̶d̶a̶ "Kanatah"
GBA TASer of 2010
I remember TASing this. I never expected 74 seconds saved to be even possible. Nice work! Any other ideas for potential saves? No way to warp in stage 2?
Riyan
He/Him
Experienced Forum User, Player (53)
Joined: 7/31/2019
Posts: 9
Location: Western Europe
jlun2 wrote:
I remember TASing this. I never expected 74 seconds saved to be even possible. Nice work! Any other ideas for potential saves? No way to warp in stage 2?
Thing is you only get three lives, so even if it was possible you wouldn't save as much time compared to the next two stages.
Challenger
He/Him
Experienced Forum User, Skilled player (1679)
Joined: 2/23/2016
Posts: 963
Sega TASer of 2017TASer of 2017NES TAS of 2017
These new skips are insane! Great work ;)
My homepage --Currently not much motived for TASing as before...-- But I'm still working.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 6/30/2010
Posts: 1061
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
This is a great looking NES TAS and a very impressive improvement, "yes" vote!
Current project: Gex 3 any% Paused: Gex 64 any% There are no N64 emulators. Just SM64 emulators with hacky support for all the other games.
J.Y
Experienced Forum User, Experienced player (975)
Joined: 5/24/2008
Posts: 80
Wow! What an awesome submission. A yes vote from me!
Experienced Forum User, Player (227)
Joined: 8/10/2008
Posts: 96
Very nice, great to see an improvement that uses the latest discoveries in this game.
Riyan wrote:
Thing is you only get three lives, so even if it was possible you wouldn't save as much time compared to the next two stages.
I assume there is a reason the RTA-runs only death warp in stages 3 and 4. However, since there are continues in this game, it's not obvious how the number of lives would matter for this decision. It seems like the time it would take e.g. to fall into a pit at the beginning of stage 3 and force a game over could be weighed up by additional skips. Are there no suitable places for death warps in stages 1 and 2? Finally, I'd like to add a few comments about this trick. I think it's correct that Chambers was the person who figured out the game mechanics behind the skips and worked on finding setups for doing them in RTA-runs. However, I believe 'badbrakes' was the first* person to report getting a death warp (https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/journey_to_silius_21.html# ). I'm not familiar with the history between badbrakes' initial discovery and Chambers finding the explanation and setups, but I'm pretty sure it was a "known unknown" among speedrunners of the game, so Chambers knew what he was looking for. Not that this diminishes Chambers' work in any way, but thought it was still worth mentioning. * To my understanding, the requirements for this trick are quite specific, but it's still a trick you can stumble upon by accident when playing normally (I think this is what badbrakes did). So it's not too unlikely to imagine that others have done it in the past too, just never reporting it publically.
Riyan
He/Him
Experienced Forum User, Player (53)
Joined: 7/31/2019
Posts: 9
Location: Western Europe
ktwo wrote:
Very nice, great to see an improvement that uses the latest discoveries in this game.
Riyan wrote:
Thing is you only get three lives, so even if it was possible you wouldn't save as much time compared to the next two stages.
I assume there is a reason the RTA-runs only death warp in stages 3 and 4. However, since there are continues in this game, it's not obvious how the number of lives would matter for this decision. It seems like the time it would take e.g. to fall into a pit at the beginning of stage 3 and force a game over could be weighed up by additional skips. Are there no suitable places for death warps in stages 1 and 2? Finally, I'd like to add a few comments about this trick. I think it's correct that Chambers was the person who figured out the game mechanics behind the skips and worked on finding setups for doing them in RTA-runs. However, I believe 'badbrakes' was the first* person to report getting a death warp (https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/journey_to_silius_21.html# ). I'm not familiar with the history between badbrakes' initial discovery and Chambers finding the explanation and setups, but I'm pretty sure it was a "known unknown" among speedrunners of the game, so Chambers knew what he was looking for. Not that this diminishes Chambers' work in any way, but thought it was still worth mentioning. * To my understanding, the requirements for this trick are quite specific, but it's still a trick you can stumble upon by accident when playing normally (I think this is what badbrakes did). So it's not too unlikely to imagine that others have done it in the past too, just never reporting it publically.
I did some testing and it seems like this trick only works when the screen scrolls to the left, which it never does in the first two stages. Also thanks for clarifying who discovered the trick. I'll go change that in the notes.
Editor, Experienced Forum User, Skilled player (1255)
Joined: 3/31/2010
Posts: 2055
TAS of 2017First edition TAS of 2017PSX TAS of 2017
Very nice improvement, seeing the deathwarps was very cool. Yes vote.
aiqiyou
He/Him
Experienced Forum User, Skilled player (1524)
Joined: 8/4/2018
Posts: 95
Location: China
NES TASer of 2021NES TASer of 2020NES TASer of 2019
I didn't expect this game to improve so much. I was deeply impressed and checked it in the emulator. I saved 2 lag in stage 1, but unable to synchronize in boss battle. I haven't done much research. I guess it is caused by the remnants of the enemy coordinate subpixels or bullet coordinate subpixels. https://tasvideos.org/UserFiles/Info/637970092690059628
Riyan
He/Him
Experienced Forum User, Player (53)
Joined: 7/31/2019
Posts: 9
Location: Western Europe
aiqiyou wrote:
I didn't expect this game to improve so much. I was deeply impressed and checked it in the emulator. I saved 2 lag in stage 1, but unable to synchronize in boss battle. I haven't done much research. I guess it is caused by the remnants of the enemy coordinate subpixels or bullet coordinate subpixels. https://tasvideos.org/UserFiles/Info/637970092690059628
I tried to improve stage 1 as well but gave up for the same reason. And then there's the frame perfect trick during the boss battle which I couldn't get after saving some frames.
Experienced Forum User, Site Admin, Skilled player (1110)
Joined: 4/17/2010
Posts: 10711
Location: RU
NES TAS of 2011
aiqiyou wrote:
I didn't expect this game to improve so much. I was deeply impressed and checked it in the emulator. I saved 2 lag in stage 1, but unable to synchronize in boss battle. I haven't done much research. I guess it is caused by the remnants of the enemy coordinate subpixels or bullet coordinate subpixels. https://tasvideos.org/UserFiles/Info/637970092690059628
Were you planning to look for further improvements or is this run safe to judge?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting. If TASing is meta-play, TASVideos Movie Rules are meta-meta-play!
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Experienced Forum User, Moderator
Joined: 8/3/2004
Posts: 12750
Location: 127.0.0.1
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [4826] NES Journey to Silius by Riyan & Zakem66 in 07:36.27