First off, I'd like to thank Hanzou, for finding a better strategy at Pro B. After shooting two enemies in pro B, the lag is virtually killed, and Hanzou's tactic shows that is actually 40 frames faster.
Of course I also knew about the lag, and the fact that it was stopped by shooting two enemies... but the route I had was pretty good, and first shooting 2 enemies would result in having to walk more squares. Also, the first two enemies would regenerate faster, causing trouble later on... these 2 things kept me from actually testing it. Fortunately Hanzou did, and he came to an improvement of 40 frames.
I changed Hanzou's route a little, by shooting the first 2 enemies in a different order, and picking up the hearts faster. I also had to change the route in the upper part of the level a bit to luck manipulate the enemies movement. At the end, my final version of Pro B is 17 frames faster than Hanzou's, so the total improvement is 57 frames. All other levels are played equally fast as before.
(THE REST OF THE SUBMISSION TEXT IS A DIRECT COPY FROM MY PREVIOUS SUBMISSION)
- Uses passwords (It's the only way to play the pro levels)
- Aims for fastest time
- Manipulates luck (enemy movement)
This movie plays the 4 pro levels in Lolo2 as fast as possible. The pro levels can be accesed by entering "PROA", "PROB", "PROC" or "PROD".
After Randils Adventures of Lolo 2 run, he made a test movie of the pro levels. Hanzou pointed out a level that could be improved, which gave Randil the motivation to really make a pro levels run. Ever since Randil made his test movie I wanted to make a pro level run sometime, and Randils pro level run made me decide to start it.
Both Randil and Hanzou continuously found improvements on the levels today, which gave me even more motivation. So I need to thank Randil and Hanzou, or I wouldn't have finished this movie today.
As for the actual strategy (and I don't want to sound selfish), I found out about everything myself. The movie improves:
- 8 frames on selecting PROA
- 723 frames on PROA, you probably need to know this level to understand what's going on (also read what Randil wrote in his submission text about this level).
- 4 frames on selecting PROB
- 408 frames on PROB, when I was working on this level, Randil posted a strategy that had the same idea as my strategy. Later Hanzou improved Randils strategy, but the version I had already finished was even a little faster than Hanzou's.
- 6 frames on selecting PROC
- 31 frames on PROC
- 4 frames on selecting PROD
- 1605 frames on PROD, today, Hanzou improved Randils stategy on PROD significantly. After that, Randil made an even better improvement, and then Hanzou saved a few squares on that version. I knew a small improvement at the beginning, but after having done that small change, I realized the entire enemy movement and such were different. So basically, Randil's and Hanzou's tactics were very good, but useless to me, since the whole level had to be played different. At the end, I managed to save a whopping 1605 frames on this level alone, making this level about 300 frames faster than the latest version Hanzou posted.
At first the levels seemed very bad for speedrunning, but now, there is almost no waiting time, and in this short movie various tricks are displayed.