Submission Text Full Submission Page
Objectives of this movie :
  • Collect/find 100% Treasures
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses deaths to save time
  • Uses no passwords
I used Gens 9.5b for this run, with I think no particular options that would change the sync. There's also an AVI file I madehere.
"Gods" is a pretty unknown and pretty hard game made by Mindscape, and is really unique in how it merge simple yet interesting puzzles within the platform-action gameplay it has. Another great thing is how the stages are elaborated and often rather large, yet well-made because they are never complicated or confusing at all. The goal of our char is to get past the puzzles and monsters of the three stages of each level and to beat the four end Guardians to attain the rank of "God" (like Zeus and others, which are in the highscores at first play) and reach immortality (as well as finding keys and resolving puzzles to get many treasures).
In this game, monsters aren't already in place but instead most of them appear as you walk along the ground and in an activator. This gameplay makes you need to be quick and on your guards pretty much all the time, but at the same time when you are at a puzzle-phase and cleared the room, you can take the time to try the levers and understand what you have to do to advance in the game. Some items I use in the game are, the starbust (the blue skull head) which sends stars flying all around and clears up the room of monsters, the invulnerability (the little red-cross in a blue circle) which gives me 16 seconds of invincibility, the big/little health regain (a big or little dark orange heart), and the weapons I buy or which are given to me in a level. At the shopkeepers I often buy an invulnerability shield and/or some health plus new and more powerful weapons when available.
In this TAS, I use all the features I have or get (like the items I talked about a bit earlier) to make it the fastest possible and beat it like the best player would. And it really goes well with this game. If it's faster and doesn't take away too much health, I try to take the missiles the monsters often throw at me instead of ducking under them, or even to collide with a monster because it will kill him no matter what, at the price of rather much health. I can also intentionally lose a live by monster-colliding, and use that to reappear nearly at the same exact place but with all my health and a very practical short temporary invulnerability. With ladders I found a nice glitch, which makes me able to grab them when I'm just at the side of it, saving some time but a few times it doesn't work. And at the score screens, putting the attack button on autofire makes the score adding itself really fast. There are also many treasures to find in the game, and my goal was to find and collect all of them, showing how many hidden things this game may reveal to you.
I think you will understand what I'm doing better if you have already played the game (even not far), and I hope seeing this "not enough known" game TASed will make people appreciate it because it deserves it, even if it's a hard game, and will entertain you as much as I liked succeeding to make it really quick.
An advantage the Gods Genesis version have over the SNES one is the invulnerability shield time. It lasts twice as long on Gens and it helps a lot at saving time and making the movie quicker. For those who have seen my SNES TASes tries, this run is longer because I discovered new treasures in the game that I didn't know at first, yet it's still faster because I found better strategies/tricks that gained some time.
Also some needed comments stage by stage follow hereafter :
1-1 : I have to reset the two first levers on my way to activate a shortcut and collect a fire gem. I need to kill myself to get past the spikes just after the shortcut teleporting. After that I pull the two levers on my right, middle one first or it doesn't work. The other lever at the far right gives me a nice blue chest, and after dying because of overcrowding, I reset the middle lever to get a fire gem. Another secret is at the stage end door, if you go pull its lever before visiting the treasure room (room just below), from the left wall a platform will come out and help you push the hidden switch above it. It gives another fire gem.
1-2 : Where I get the trap door key, I have to kill the monsters in my way and then push the hidden switch to get a giant jump potion, helping me access the large platforms above me and the many treasures along them. I also press the 3 other hidden switches to open trap-doors, making a gray chest fall at the end of the stage so that I can open it. It's also needed to take the two ceramic pots in the stage to get the world key and a fire gem later on.
1-3 : At the shopkeeper I buy 3 throwing stars for better power, some health and an invulnerability shield (I often buy one at every shop on my way). Two levers are at the left but only the left-up one is needed to put away the spike trap guarding the needed giant jump potion. After finding the treasure key on a late-spawning monster, I reset the trap-door opener so that the lever opening the treasure room will give me an inv. shield nearby as well. I cannot take the lightning bolt weapon (same for the two diamonds after it) because the game reward you with a nice gold chest if you beat the guardian without it.
2-1 : The hidden switch I press at the right side opens a trap-door, behind where are thieves which help me getting the treasure key, and just after are two other chests keys. At the far left after the Ice gem, I have to kill myself and become invincible to explode the serpents nearby. Near the end when I'm at the world door, the giant jump potion hasn't wore off yet and prevents me from jumping up to the ledge at the right for a little time.
2-2 : Here I take the 3 chalices (gold/silver/iron) they talk about in a hint, and gets a treasure key as a reward, plus a gray chest if I take the chalices out before going out of the "world key" room. I didn't need the room key or teleport key, there was a faster way. Near the end I let myself fall a long way down and lose a life/gain invulnerability, again to explode the serpents nearby (as well as saving time).
2-3 : In this stage pieces of a mosaic must be found to repair it and permits advancing further in the stage. At first I take out my inv. shield to be abIe to use it later, because my inventory will be full soon with the 3 mosaic pieces I need to get first. I collide with some monsters on the way to lower my health, so that I can take the globe for the 3rd piece and teleport-dying just after. Makes for a shorter way of completing the mosaic puzzle. Before this trick, at the crypt, I need to jump to the ladder so that it prevents the firing monster from appearing, and permits me to get the mosaic piece here more easily. After resolving the mosaic puzzle, I take the inv. shield I took out earlier and put it to good use. And just after at the trap-doors place, I return the 3 levers to make spikes disappear later in, opening the way for taking the cross which I need for getting the treasure key. I also take the candle at the right side here to make the world key appear in the study later on. and just after I have to backtrack, and fall on the trap in the middle of the ground, to get a blue key then go dying to teleport much nearer to the room corresponding this blue key. At the shopkeeper after the guardian here, I buy inv. shield and health but also the big shield for a nice added protection (around 2 times less damage).
3-1 : As soon as I'm in the stage, I take out my inv. shield and run to the right, getting a water gem, and after that opening the shortcut up-right above thanks to the fact I got near the ladder in less than 50 seconds. I keep running right up to a ladder I fall in and get two fire gems, then I open the door and fire to the left to break a ceiling with my maces, which lets a fire gem fall down to me. Then I arrive to the treasure room and fire maces to break a ceiling, giving me a starbust and the world key.
3-2 : There is the stage where I must find 3 tiny gems (fire/water/ice) to make the world door open itself. In the shop I buy 3 axes, as they will help me killing the guardian and the monsters in this level much faster. When I get to the little health heart, I'm not sure how but I've been able to prevent the very annoying "stealing the tiny fire gem" thief from spawning at all. After that there's a lever I have to activate, to the far right after the tiny fire gem, because it gives you a trap-door key when you get up all the way by the ladder and doesn't lose health, key which is useful to give you some quite nice treasures and an inv. shield. Which one will then be very useful at the next tiny gem place to bypass the very resistant satyrs and thieves with ease.
3-3 : It's needed to have the two first levers in the down position to get an inv. shield later with another lever in a higher place. I also need to take the two flask/pot to gain a key later in this stage. The treasure key is easy to get as it's on your way, and the treasure room is behind the door to the left of the trap-doors. In the shop after the guardian I buy some usual stuff, then buy a mace to sell back the axes and gain much money, this way I have enough to buy a hunter as well.
4-1 : I begin by getting the power potion which puts my hunters and maces up to 3, then use my inv. shield which will be of use for nearly all it's time. Then I get two fire gems as "special bonuses rewards", then destroy the blocks and also use the starbust on the way, and goes down to the ladder to take a fire gem now, because this way I can die just when I'm up before the ladder again, and it teleports me near the keys I need to take higher above.
4-2 : At this shopkeeper I buy a second big shield (now damage are around 4 times less, how nice) plus an inv. shield and an "intense arc" which will help much for the treasure room I do first in this stage. I go search the room key and just after, even if I'm at full health, I go for dying on the rotating trap because it gets me to the room door faster. In this room I have to destroy many blocks, and when I go down there's a starbust I have to delay using, because I need to wait for the flying monsters to approach me more. That is because they drop a nice blue chest. At the first room where there is an alchemist tool, I found that if you jump and try to fire just before hitting the ledge completely, you will arrive less far on the ledge, which helped me preventing the monsters that should appear from spawning at all (the moving ones). After that is the treasure room with many breakable blocks, I tried all I could find out and I think it's well-optimized. Same thing is true for the room with the lamp. At the end of this stage I'm at very low health, but I need to not lose my last life because I will use it in the next stage.
4-3 : For first action I kill myself and use the invincibility to pass through the monsters and advance to the ladder. Then I have to wait for the thief to steal the treasure key and pull the lever to make a ceiling appear and open the door. Behind the door I go the way right and fall, and the game in it's niceness gives me a life as a "help bonus". I go right some more and in the next room I have to lose a life to regain all my health. Just after this I activate levers and take the trap-door key that will be used to get the axes you might have seen before. Then I'm teleported to a room literally full of treasures and gems, and I go use the hidden switch with the trap-door key to gain the axes by breaking the blocks under them. I really need 3 axes to beat the last guardian the fastest way, as he his already quite long to beat when fully-armed. For that I go take the power potion, since it's only two axes which dropped and I need 3 of them. Then comes the last guardian, well it's a long and rather uneventful part, so you might want to skip right to the game ending. Watch the ending and the credits will come a while after the message ended. It's a nice ending scene.

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. I'm not sure I got the right ROM though. (I tried Gods (U) [!].gen, which was the closest match to what you wrote.) Well, here goes! Feel free to clean up the list.

adelikat: Rejecting. Reasons are posted in the discussion forum.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Experienced Forum User, Moderator
Joined: 8/3/2004
Posts: 12253
Location: 127.0.0.1
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1892: VolcanoStormWind's Genesis Gods in 20:16.42
upthorn
He/Him
Active player, Emulator Coder, Experienced Forum User (473)
Joined: 3/24/2006
Posts: 1802
Sega TAS of 2011Sega TAS of 2010Sega TAS of 2008Sega TASer of 2007
I definitely enjoyed watching and listening to this version, and, though I am a bit confused about the dancing in place at the start of 2-1, it looks pretty optimized so I'm voting yes. However, as a user of the TASvideos IRC channel, I emplore you to write your notes all at once, and add them in as a single edit because, well... let me show you
[2008-03-21 01:39:25] <NesVideoAgent> Post edited by VolcanoStormWind (WorkB: #1892: VolcanoStormWind's Genesis Gods in 20:16.42): http://tasvideos.org/forum/p/161738#161738
[2008-03-21 01:41:06] * PJBoy (n=PJBoy@78.150.60.234) has joined #nesvideos
[2008-03-21 01:41:11] <NesVideoAgent> Post edited by VolcanoStormWind (WorkB: #1892: VolcanoStormWind's Genesis Gods in 20:16.42): http://tasvideos.org/forum/p/161738#161738
[2008-03-21 01:43:00] <NesVideoAgent> New reply by VolcanoStormWind (Old: #1884: VolcanoStormWind's SNES Gods in 19:50.7): http://tasvideos.org/forum/p/161739#161739
[2008-03-21 01:54:58] <erokky> .seen mushadv
[2008-03-21 01:55:11] <BisqBot> mushadv joined #nesvideos 5d 1h 44min ago.
[2008-03-21 01:56:04] <NesVideoAgent> Post edited by VolcanoStormWind (WorkB: #1892: VolcanoStormWind's Genesis Gods in 20:16.42): http://tasvideos.org/forum/p/161738#161738
[2008-03-21 01:57:34] <erokky> anyone here good with adobe photoshop?
[2008-03-21 02:05:07] <NesVideoAgent> Post edited by VolcanoStormWind (WorkB: #1892: VolcanoStormWind's Genesis Gods in 20:16.42): http://tasvideos.org/forum/p/161738#161738
[2008-03-21 02:06:26] <NesVideoAgent> Post edited by VolcanoStormWind (WorkB: #1892: VolcanoStormWind's Genesis Gods in 20:16.42): http://tasvideos.org/forum/p/161738#161738
[2008-03-21 02:07:31] <Sifl> holy shit
[2008-03-21 02:07:36] <Sifl> edit edit revolution
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
Editor, Experienced Forum User, Expert player (2339)
Joined: 4/8/2005
Posts: 1573
Location: Gone for a year, just for varietyyyyyyyyy!!
Sega TASer of 2008Lucky TAS of 2008
You lose many frames even before the game has started. You should use frame advance to find the first possible frame to press start. After the beginning, it can only get worse. I still think that even though this movie aims for "showing all of the game", it fails at that. How can you say you aim for 100% treasure, when you did not collect the gems behind the lightning bolt? What is the point of collecting some of them, if you don't get them all? I know that the treasure chest won't appear after the boss, if you take the lightning bolt, but these kind of problems in the game contradict your goals and after that the movie is uninteresting to watch. I don't know what the goals should be, but these are not the best possible ones, even if the movements were more precise. Sorry, voting "no". Edit: There also exists a "super secret" huge treasure chest in the final level. You did not collect it.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 4/29/2005
Posts: 1212
Well. I for one love Gods. And I am voting yes on this one. Even though there are frames missed, and not every single piece of treasure is collected, this is still rather entertaining to me. :3
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 11/13/2005
Posts: 1587
Kitsune wrote:
Even though there are frames missed, and not every single piece of treasure is collected, this is still rather entertaining to me. :3
But should it really be published if it fails to meet its goals? I think not, but I won't vote no just because I haven't seen it (This conclusion is based on Aqfaq's post which I trust because Aqfaq is the official Gods know-it-all guy).
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 4/3/2007
Posts: 27
I really do not know what treasures I could have missed in that game, I searched everywhere for guides, founded some new things and did them ; please tell me anyone if you see one missed thing I did not explained. @Aqfaq : About the fact I can't collect the two diamonds near lightning bolt, that is how the game works and you have to accept it, really. It's quite nice that the game rewards you for not taking a super-weapon. In all of my guides, none ever talked of a "super-secret" in the final level. So I do not know where it is. Also can you please tell me how did I "really" lost any time, is it like 2 frames here and there or what ? @Upthorn : Yes I'm sorry about the so many edits I'm making, but don't worry I will be finished in little time and then won't touch the submission text again. And big thanks for your yes vote. But there should be 3 yes votes, so either Kitsune or you forgot to put it in.
Experienced Forum User, Experienced player (849)
Joined: 11/18/2006
Posts: 2426
Location: Back where I belong
GBx TAS of 2008
Or...... use this As for the actual movie, I think it's a somewhat interesting game, but Aqfaq makes some very good points. First of all, you're 3 frames slower than his published movie, just getting to the first frame of action (377 vs 374). Also, I'm not a big fan of fuzzy goals, unless the movie is very entertaining, and specifically aims for entertainment, as opposed to completing the objectives as fast as possible. Fuzzy goals are frowned upon because it makes judging harder, and discourages future obsoletion attempts. If a future submission decides to go for the treasures that you didn't collect, should the two runs be comparable, even though they collect different things? I'm sorry, but in your objectives you aim for 100% treasures, but fail to do that, so I have to vote no. If you manage to find a glitch that allows you to collect the ones you needed to skip over, and get the "super secret" treasure Aqfaq mentioned, I'll certainly reconsider. But as it stands right now, you didn't complete your stated objectives, and "showing all the game" is a poor goal for any game.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 4/3/2007
Posts: 27
Man I put myself much in a movie and you really aren't recognizing it. Why can't you tell me what did I missed ? Or someone else. I watched my movie like 3 times in detail and I didn't see what did I miss.
Experienced Forum User, Experienced player (849)
Joined: 11/18/2006
Posts: 2426
Location: Back where I belong
GBx TAS of 2008
VolcanoStormWind wrote:
@upthorn : Man I put myself much in a movie and you really aren't recognizing it. Why can't you tell me what did I missed ? Or someone else. I watched my movie like 3 times in detail and I didn't see what did I miss.
mmbossman wrote:
you're 3 frames slower than his published movie, just getting to the first frame of action (377 vs 374)
Self Quote FTW. Also, this site is not about rewarding hard work, or publishing something just because someone put a lot of work into it. It's about making entertaining movies with clear goals. While you may have A, you do not have B. So until you work out some of the problems you have with unclear goals and precision difficulties, I don't see this being publish-worthy. Also, on a personal note, even if you cleared up the above problems, I'd probably end up voting "meh". The game is kinda long and somewhat repetitive for my tastes, although I can see how someone may enjoy it.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 4/3/2007
Posts: 27
Kitsune wrote:
Well. I for one love Gods. And I am voting yes on this one. Even though there are frames missed, and not every single piece of treasure is collected, this is still rather entertaining to me. :3
Quite some thanks to you Kitsune, it's nice to see someone liking this game as much as I like it. I'd just like to be sure you did put your yes vote, because there should be 3 yes votes now. Or maybe it's Upthorn who forgot it.
Editor, Experienced Forum User, Expert player (2339)
Joined: 4/8/2005
Posts: 1573
Location: Gone for a year, just for varietyyyyyyyyy!!
Sega TASer of 2008Lucky TAS of 2008
VolcanoStormWind wrote:
And none of my guides ever talked of a "super-secret" in the final level.
There it is, but at the moment I can't remember how to get it actually. :) (The screenshot is from the Amiga version, but I think the giant chest exists in the Genesis version too.) By the way, game guides are usually written by average gamers who just want to write guides, so they often tell you misleading stuff. It is sometimes a good idea to read them, but I almost never believe what they say. I bet you, VolcanoStormWind, already know more about Gods than most of the guys who wrote the guides you've read.
VolcanoStormWind wrote:
Also can you please tell me how did I "really" lost any time, is it like 2 frames here and there or what ?
Here are some of the things I remember from the movie: - All boss fights can be done faster by timing the shots better and being in a better position. - Sometimes you could have started walking earlier, like in the beginning of the game and in the beginning of world 2-2. - The shop cursor is not moved as fast as possible. - You sometimes stop to shoot enemies which you could have killed in a faster manner, like the enemy near the first switch in world 1-1. - In world 2-3, you jump for no reason in the "crypt" room. - Some items could have been picked up faster. - The invulnerability was not used as effectively as possible. - I bet there are better strategies for what to buy from the shops. - Sometimes you could have taken damage differently to die faster.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 4/3/2007
Posts: 27
Well this treasure room looks very nice, but I think it's not in the Genesis version, because I read somewhere that when you get immortality you get like 20 lives, so this place should be in a way or another, accessible just after you beat the last guardian. The guides I found and read were already all quite complete, but you are right there are a few things I know that's written nowhere. That's the advantage of TAS-making, you have all the time to test things and find everything :). In the crypt room I jumped for a very good reason : it prevents the firing monster from spawning ! Otherwise how would I take the mosaic piece that early and with no damage ;) I added it to the submission text now.
Editor, Experienced Forum User, Expert player (2339)
Joined: 4/8/2005
Posts: 1573
Location: Gone for a year, just for varietyyyyyyyyy!!
Sega TASer of 2008Lucky TAS of 2008
VolcanoStormWind wrote:
In the crypt room I jumped for a very good reason : it prevents the firing monster from spawning ! Otherwise how would I take the mosaic piece that early and with no damage ;)
There exists a faster solution, which can be seen in the current published Gods movie: http://tasvideos.org/812M.html
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 4/3/2007
Posts: 27
What I saw is that you had to destroy the firing monster, and I thought that not having to do it would necessarily be faster ; are you really sure your way was faster ? That's true it was fast, but if it's the fastest it's not really obvious. Edit : I looked at it more closely and it does seem to be faster/speedier. Good point then.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 4/3/2007
Posts: 27
I'm sorry everyone, but my connexion will be out in a few hours because I'm moving elsewhere, meaning I won't be able to see your posts until something like one or two months, the time I get my connexion back. So post everything you might want to say, but know I'll read/answer it in one or two months from now.
Editor, Experienced Forum User, Expert player (2339)
Joined: 4/8/2005
Posts: 1573
Location: Gone for a year, just for varietyyyyyyyyy!!
Sega TASer of 2008Lucky TAS of 2008
VolcanoStormWind wrote:
Well this treasure room looks very nice, but I think it's not in the Genesis version, because I read somewhere that when you get immortality you get like 20 lives, so this place should be in a way or another, accessible just after you beat the last guardian.
Even if the secret is triggered only with a huge number of lives, that is not a problem in the Genesis version, because you can get about 25 extra lives with the health bonus score overflow glitch (by dying simultaneously with level completion).
Post subject: Rejecting
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Expert player, Site Developer, Site Owner (3579)
Joined: 11/3/2004
Posts: 4682
Location: Tennessee
TASer of 2010NES TASer of 2010DS TASer of 2010Arcade TAS of 2010NES TASer of 2008NES TAS of 2008Funny TAS of 2008TASer of 2007NES TASer of 2007Funny TAS of 2007
Problem 1): Unclear goal choice. I have nothing to add to what aqfaq & mmbossman said about this. Problem 2): Not meeting goal choice. Though we haven't confirmed that extra treasure is in the genesis version, I'd like to see some proof it isn't. At the very least, it sounds like more research is needed into this game Problem 3): Not very entertaining. Gods isn't really all that interesting. The published movie is nice, and is a good length for what the game is. This is too much, and drags badly after about 10 minutes. I don't think a 100% treasures run any chance of entertaining enough of the audience. Problem 4): Improvable. In the guidelines it says "beat all known records": Always view existing runs (speedruns, TAS, any) before and while doing yours. Always compare your run to the current best run. If you are aiming for speed and you fail to beat existing speed records, your movie will be rejected. The published "any%" run counts here. It should be equally fast (or faster ^^) in all comparable spots. As it has been pointed out, this is not the case. All of these problems add up to a rejection. Good luck on future endeavours though.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects