Submission Text Full Submission Page
  • Video: Jabos Direct 3D8
  • Input: Jabos Direct Input 7 1.6
  • Sound: Jabos Direct Sound 1.6
  • RSP emulation plugin
Hello, this is my first tas i submit to TASvideos.
I love the Zelda games and thought this game needs a TAS after all these new discoveries. My goal was a near perfect run but Oot ruined it. I had over 20desyncs while doing it and it was pain to redo half of the game. It's a known problem of oot and heres my solution: just wait some frames after entering a new area or closing the inventory. If u move to early, it desyncs. I think the movie is ok for my first tas and the whole desync problems with it. The worst part of the game is the forest escape: i know the one nut hover trick and i performed it once (it took ages), then i was shocked that the file descyncs and the jump wasnt saved :(. I wasn't feeling like redoing it so i took the easy way (sry for my lazyness). There is a big problem with all the savewarps in the demonstration run. Mupen cannot softreset so i needed to do it in one file. after i received the master sword i jumped through the hall of time wall so i can save after my death,restart and escape the hall of time room.
I hope it will be accepted but if not its ok, I was just to lazy.
JNX

adelikat: Fixed ROM and Game name (and fixed up the text/formatting a bit).

adelikat: According to the Guidelines: If you are aiming for speed and you fail to beat existing speed records, your movie will be rejected.
It has been established that Groobo's movie does complete the game faster even after factoring timing differences and save warping. Therefore, I am rejecting this submission.

jnx
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 5/3/2008
Posts: 14
note that this is my first tas and i was to lazy to play every parts 10 times perfect until the poor emulator saves it. get this desync bug fixed and i will bring a more optimized run and stop saying that i did everything wrong :o
Experienced Forum User, Player (170)
Joined: 7/7/2006
Posts: 797
Location: US
JNX, I would like to voice that I appreciate the effort you put into this run. I did watch the whole run, and I enjoyed it. Unfortunately there are many people on this site who have done extensive route planning and enough movement optimization to successfully do this run noticeably faster. They are waiting on the emulator upgrade before they take on the task, as they plan to spend a significant amount of time on it to make it as fast as possible. I pretty much agree with what AKA posted. Frustration with the emulator and laziness are no reason for sub par execution at times. As alden stated, the entertainment of the run already suffers from the amount of cut scenes and walking. I was left to look forward to some of the more notable glitches, and unfortunately the Temple of Time skip and the Gerudo Valley bridge trick were both poorly executed. This site expects that you submit the best possible time using all known tricks and flawless execution. Unfortunately this run doesn't really meet those standards. Vote: Did you like watching this movie? - Yes However, I have to vote no on publication.
Experienced Forum User, Moderator
Joined: 8/4/2005
Posts: 5745
Location: Moscow, Russia
jnx wrote:
get this desync bug fixed and i will bring a more optimized run
That's actually very cool of you. In the best possible sense.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 6/9/2006
Posts: 614
Location: Mettmann
Kirkq wrote:
Unfortunately there are many people on this site who have done extensive route planning and enough movement optimization to successfully do this run noticeably faster.
but they never will do a full run etc bla bla *cry* they will just vote no on those runs and wait for someone doing as they want :P edit: nice video nice! voted yes
Bp_
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 11/30/2005
Posts: 81
Location: Quebec
I voted yes. Even if its maybe not the best optimized run, its still a BIG step of improvement from the last one.
jnx
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 5/3/2008
Posts: 14
youtube link : http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=mSVUIGCnn9M rapidshare.de: http://rapidshare.de/files/39724525/sr_jnx_ocarinaoftime_h264.AVI.html and yes i think its better done than p.dot's run
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 10/6/2007
Posts: 330
Location: B.C Canada
So... that's it? Is that seriously the new route for the game? That sucks. I don't mean your run in particular JNX, I mean that's a hidiously stupid boring route in general. You can't possibly tell me that even an optimized run of that route would obsolete the current run right? It was boring, uneventful, and it made no sense what so ever. Again, I don't mean your run in particular. I mean ANY run with that route would suck. Even if a perfectly optimized run with that route was made, I still think it shouldn't be published. MAYBE if it had a seperate category. Call me an arrogant jerk if you want, but it just wasn't fun to watch. (which I DID watch the whole thing) A solid absolutely not vote from me.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 1/17/2006
Posts: 775
Location: Deign
Hey Pekopon, you're an arrogant jerk!
Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign aqfaq Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 10/6/2007
Posts: 330
Location: B.C Canada
jimsfriend wrote:
Hey Pekopon, you're an arrogant jerk!
Indeed I am an arrogant jerk. It still doesn't change my opinion. I have high standards when it comes to things I enjoy, and this run didn't meet them. And I'm sure when I submit a new run some day of whatever game, I'll hear all about this comment and the one above. As a side note, I probably sounded even more of an arrogant jerk because of the way people read on the internet. When someone is being rude, people always read it as if the person is yelling. Notice the lack of exclamation points? Despite it being rude and obnoxious, I'm not throwing a huge rage or anything over it. That's just how I explain things. Blunt, and straight to the point. Though that method has gotten me into trouble many times before. People are always saying that you have to be honest, so why is it that you can only be perfectly honest if it's something positive?
Active player, Experienced Forum User (353)
Joined: 9/27/2004
Posts: 650
Location: Canada
NES TAS of 2021
Well, I liked it. Even though I wasn't sure what was going on.
Experienced Forum User, Experienced player (850)
Joined: 11/18/2006
Posts: 2426
Location: Back where I belong
GBx TAS of 2008
Pekopon wrote:
Call me an arrogant jerk if you want, but it just wasn't fun to watch. (which I DID watch the whole thing)
jimsfriend wrote:
Hey Pekopon, you're an arrogant jerk!
If you missed the connection here, it's hilarious. If you realized the connection, and then decided to go on another rant, just for emphasis, it's freakin' hilarious.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 10/6/2007
Posts: 330
Location: B.C Canada
mmbossman wrote:
Pekopon wrote:
Call me an arrogant jerk if you want, but it just wasn't fun to watch. (which I DID watch the whole thing)
jimsfriend wrote:
Hey Pekopon, you're an arrogant jerk!
If you missed the connection here, it's hilarious. If you realized the connection, and then decided to go on another rant, just for emphasis, it's freakin' hilarious.
Yep. I noticed the connection. I'm just a hilarious kinda guy that way I guess. Many a time I've made people laugh by my poor planning in arguments.
Experienced Forum User, Skilled player (1465)
Joined: 7/15/2007
Posts: 1468
Location: Sweden
SNES TASer of 2009Rookie of 2008SNES TASer of 2008
Pekopon wrote:
So... that's it? Is that seriously the new route for the game?...You can't possibly tell me that even an optimized run of that route would obsolete the current run right?
The way I see it is that it is faster which mean it is less of the boringness OoT brings (to watch, it's a great game. But not for speerunning or TASing, not that I don't want people breakig it further). And really the only pleasure I found in the old run (besides JXQ's oscar worthy commentary) where seeing it so completely demolished. And this new route does that*1000, so all the better. The only other category I could find viable for this game is either a 100% run or a all temples run. Maybe both if the all tempels run still where allowed to completely break the tempels (not that I would watch them anyay...).
Agare Bagare Kopparslagare
Experienced Forum User, Experienced player (850)
Joined: 11/18/2006
Posts: 2426
Location: Back where I belong
GBx TAS of 2008
Ok, after some careful consideration (and I really mean that), I vote yes for an obsoletion. My reasons: 1) To a non-OoT nerd (such as myself), there weren't any large, punch in the face errors. I could tell that there were some small optimization problems, but there wasn't anything that absolutely made me cringe. 2) To anyone on the internet who has happened to hear that the Temple of Time can be skipped, our currently published run immediately becomes laughable for how long it is. To anyone a little more informed (but still below OoT guru), it has been outdated for even longer than that. The longer the current OoT run remains published, the bigger of an embarrassment it becomes to the site in whole. 3) There is no planned update immediately in the works. There is always a run coming "sometime", but I have yet to see that day, and doubt that it will come in the very near future (by the end of 2008). If MupenPlus was a) functional and b) accepted on the site, I'd probably say we could wait a little more. But as it sits right now, I don't even consider there to be another run in the works. 4) To those complaining about lack of optimization, I can only point out that even if a new movie could cut off 12 minutes from this submission, this movie improves the published movie by 10 times that amount! And when it comes to improvements on publications, an hour and twenty minutes is far from a inconsequential amount. I do, however, share in the feeling that I'm disappointed in the runner for submitting something that he knows has major mistakes. To me, it shows lack of pride in his work (although pride is disdainful around here, I've heard). In any case, I refuse to let my desire for perfection be projected onto someone who may not share the same goals, especially for an improvement this large. **Major credz to adelikat for arguing back and forth with me about this on IRC, and for coming up with some of these reasons.**
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 10/6/2007
Posts: 330
Location: B.C Canada
to watch, it's a great game. But not for speerunning or TASing
I agree that OoT isn't really a speed running game. Either it's too long when you play everything, or it's too dull when too much is skipped. I suppose the main problem I had with this run was that with this route, there are only a couple of really cool tricks. The dungeons provide all sorts of other awesome tricks that are left out in this. I find in some cases that a longer run is better since there can be more tricks to show off and be impressed by. With a short run that skips everything, there's not a whole lot that can impress people. There is the wow factor of skipping something crucial like the door of time, but there are some other hard to do, non crucial things that can be equally impressive when skipped. I guess my priority for a run isn't quite what the site is all about. I'm more of the "entertainment" kind of watcher, where the site is generally more "speed" oriented. I suppose that's why "Kirby's Dream Course" is my favourite TAS of all time.
Experienced Forum User, Experienced player (850)
Joined: 11/18/2006
Posts: 2426
Location: Back where I belong
GBx TAS of 2008
Pekopon wrote:
I agree that OoT isn't really a speed running game. Either it's too long when you play everything, or it's too dull when too much is skipped. I suppose the main problem I had with this run was that with this route, there are only a couple of really cool tricks. The dungeons provide all sorts of other awesome tricks that are left out in this. I find in some cases that a longer run is better since there can be more tricks to show off and be impressed by. With a short run that skips everything, there's not a whole lot that can impress people. There is the wow factor of skipping something crucial like the door of time, but there are some other hard to do, non crucial things that can be equally impressive when skipped.
Ironically, the only OoT run in the works is a 100% gems/trials run that Bloobiblah is working on, which he doesn't intend to submit. It sounds like you might enjoy that one more (it still skips a fair amount of stuff, AFAIK).
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Experienced Forum User, Skilled player (1638)
Joined: 11/15/2004
Posts: 2200
Location: Killjoy
Arcade TASer of 2010PCE TASer of 2010Arcade TAS of 2010Lucky TAS of 2009Lucky TAS of 2007
adelikat wrote:
Oot people will probably vote no and talk about how unoptimized it is. .... .
And that is reason enough for me to break the popcorn out! This thread should be epic!
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 10/24/2005
Posts: 1080
Location: San Jose
Didn't groobo beat this? He was trying to show what an optimal single segment speedrun run would be. It was for testing purposes, anyways. If this is the case this movie should be instantly rejected, and groobo's should be submitted, and judged. And then rejected. groobo got approximately 1 hr. http://uk.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=FC756D90096DE947 From here: http://speeddemosarchive.com/forum/index.php/topic,5097.4395.html He even said his run was shit in irc, iirc.
<agill> banana banana banana terracotta pie! <Shinryuu> ho-la terracotta barba-ra anal-o~
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 8/10/2004
Posts: 173
Location: Bethel, VT
I honestly think that if a new run is faster than an old run, publish it. Let the risk of being outdated be reason enough to optimize your run the first time.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 4/30/2007
Posts: 151
DK64_MASTER wrote:
Didn't groobo beat this? He was trying to show what an optimal single segment speedrun run would be. It was for testing purposes, anyways. If this is the case this movie should be instantly rejected, and groobo's should be submitted, and judged. And then rejected. groobo got approximately 1 hr. http://uk.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=FC756D90096DE947 From here: http://speeddemosarchive.com/forum/index.php/topic,5097.4395.html He even said his run was shit in irc, iirc.
funniest thing i have ever read on this often dull forum you, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 10/24/2005
Posts: 1080
Location: San Jose
Actually, I need to verify if he used TAS timing, or SDA timing. Either way, after consulting with mike uyama, it would only be a 4 minute difference, which would still beat this submission. In the meantime, I'm trying to get groobo to see if he can find his m64. Chances are he deleted it, but you never know.
<agill> banana banana banana terracotta pie! <Shinryuu> ho-la terracotta barba-ra anal-o~
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 10/6/2007
Posts: 330
Location: B.C Canada
mmbossman wrote:
Pekopon wrote:
I agree that OoT isn't really a speed running game. Either it's too long when you play everything, or it's too dull when too much is skipped. I suppose the main problem I had with this run was that with this route, there are only a couple of really cool tricks. The dungeons provide all sorts of other awesome tricks that are left out in this. I find in some cases that a longer run is better since there can be more tricks to show off and be impressed by. With a short run that skips everything, there's not a whole lot that can impress people. There is the wow factor of skipping something crucial like the door of time, but there are some other hard to do, non crucial things that can be equally impressive when skipped.
Ironically, the only OoT run in the works is a 100% gems/trials run that Bloobiblah is working on, which he doesn't intend to submit. It sounds like you might enjoy that one more (it still skips a fair amount of stuff, AFAIK).
That sounds more my style. 100% runs are my favourites, which is why I've been anxiously waiting for a Majora's Mask 100% TAS, or an improved Mario 64 120 star run. My only problem is that no matter how many zillion times I try to set up Mupen on my computer, no matter what plug-ins I use, It won't function properly. I'm thinking that maybe my computer isn't powerful enough to get it to work. The only way I can see N64 WIPs is if they are put on youtube :(
Experienced Forum User, Player (22)
Joined: 5/30/2008
Posts: 15
mmbossman wrote:
4) To those complaining about lack of optimization, I can only point out that even if a new movie could cut off 12 minutes from this submission, this movie improves the published movie by 10 times that amount! And when it comes to improvements on publications, an hour and twenty minutes is far from a inconsequential amount.
I'd just like to point out that 10 * 12 minutes is not an hour and 20 minutes; maybe I found that funnier than it should be. *Stands back
Experienced Forum User, Experienced player (850)
Joined: 11/18/2006
Posts: 2426
Location: Back where I belong
GBx TAS of 2008
Explosion Pills wrote:
mmbossman wrote:
4) To those complaining about lack of optimization, I can only point out that even if a new movie could cut off 12 minutes from this submission, this movie improves the published movie by 10 times that amount! And when it comes to improvements on publications, an hour and twenty minutes is far from a inconsequential amount.
I'd just like to point out that 10 * 12 minutes is not an hour and 20 minutes; maybe I found that funnier than it should be. *Stands back
:D My own crappy math skills never cease to amaze me. Let's call it 7 times* instead *Bold added to emphasize amount of dumbass
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 8/20/2005
Posts: 643
Location: Mikkeli,Finland
I liked it and if there is no better version coming soon so this should be published =) Yes vote.
Current Projects: ???