Recorded frame at a time using FCEU.
Took about a week to finish, mainly because I was restarting from scratch on a daily basis. This is the third Metal Gear recording I've finished, and the only one that hasn't been deleted.
- Aims for fastest time
- Uses no passwords
- Abuses programming errors in the game
- Manipulates luck
- Takes damage to save time
- Uses death as a shortcut
- Gas/electricity/water causes no damage if the game is paused for the frame it would usually do so.
- Items reappear if you use the Tranceiver after collecting them.
- Tank has no hit detection when at the very top of the screen, and can be walked straight through without taking damage.
- Floor traps can be frozen by entering any of the menus.
- The Super Computer can be skipped by holding right as you enter the room.
- The first death is used to jump straight back to the ground floor of Building #1. This saves ~40 seconds.
- The second death puts me back at the rear of Building #1, where three trucks can be used in sequence to reach the last building. This makes the Compass unnecessary, and skips some backtracking after defeating Coward Duck
15 Prisoners saved:
- Card #1, Card #2, Grenade Launcher, Card #3, B.B. Suit, Uniform, Card #4, Ammunition, Ammunition, Card #5, Card #6, Rocket Launcher, Ammunition, Card #7, Card #8
- As far as I am aware, this is the absolute minimum required to complete the game.
- These are required to obtain the Rocket Launcher. 16 prisoners are accessible before this point. Grey Fox talks too much so I left him there.
- Bulldozer, Arnold, Coward Duck, Big Boss. The others were either evaded or skipped.
- Some screens take longer to load than others. This is also true when exiting the menus. Whenever it was necessary to equip something, I did so wherever the load time was shortest (The best places are inside a truck, an elevator, or a small one-doored room).
- I tried to take this damage in the places where it saves the most time, and measured it so that I had minimal health before each death and at the end of the game.