A new Zelda II TAS with a new route!
- Emulator used: FCEUX 2.20.0
- Heavy glitch abuse
- Luck manipulation
- Uses a game restart sequence
- Takes damage to save time
- Uses deaths to save time
About this run
The original goal of my project was to optimize the old route. I ended up saving 8 frames by heavy optimization, then Inzult reminded me of a time saver, of which I watched a video but forgot it when I worked on the run, in the island maze which saved 89 frames addionally. Even with zero encounters on the swamp this run would only be ~180 frames faster than the current published
movie. This run however is 389 frames faster, cause of a new route of which previously was thought to be slower. Inzult did some testing and found out this route is faster, so I redid all of my work and now here it is.
Glitches used in this run
- Speed glitch
- Whenever left+right is pressed simultaneously, Links top speed will break and is set to 127 or -128, depending on the direction Link travels. In case the value overflows/underflows Link will quickly change his direction of movement.
- Healer glitch
- The healer lady has a timer which counts down to zero, when she moves towards the entrance of the house. When Link talks to her one frame before she goes inside the house and the timer reaches zero, she will change her direction and goes into a wrong entrance. Then Link can then go into the healer house which sends him to a wrong location called Glitch Town.
- Screen lock
- The screen can be locked when Link enters the first house of Glitch Town several time. This sets wrong exits of screens and made it possible to literally warp around from one side to the other side of Hyrule.
- Fairy glitch
- Using the fairy spell when Link is on a ceiling, he will fall down to the screen below.
- Wall climbing
- The speed glitch is requires to go inside a wall. Doing this repetivly while jumping Link can get to places normally unreachable for him.
- Split Link
- After left+right is pressed at the same time, not left or right afterwards, the animation when Link does an attack will have a funny side effect. Normally it is not the case that left+right is pressed and then nothing, to actually press this button combination it is required to press down on the same frame too. It is also used to change the facing direction of Link. This glitch only moves his sprite not his hixbox and therefore is only used for entertainment.
Getting the hammer
On the first segment until the first restart sequence, Link travels straight to the hammer. The screen scroll glitch can't be applied now, because Link will fall into a pit in the beginning of a cave and dies.
Getting the fairy spell
The battle is needed to get the fairy spell.
To Great Palace
Same as the old route, but this route includes getting a magic bottle.
The fairy glitch is used to skip the gloves and downward stab.