This movie aims to complete the odd but difficult NES game Rocket Ranger as fast as possible. Since most people haven't played this game, the entertainment value comes from its ability to make viewers say "what in the heck did I just watch?!" Therefore, I recommend that you watch the movie BEFORE reading the rest of the description...
- Played with FCEU 0.98.12
- Aims for fastest time possible
- Takes no damage
- Manipulates luck to prevent the enemy from attacking or defending himself in the fistfight sequences, and for the placement of the rocket labs
- Abuses programming errors (namely, the 1-hit kill glitch for the final boss)
Since this movie is a strange slideshow of random scenes flashing across the screen, I'll try to describe it as best as possible. The game is a strange mix of many different game elements. The storyline goes as follows:
You are Rocket Ranger, an elite soldier with a rocket pack. One day, an alien moon surrounded by a force field appears in the sky and the aliens invade earth, creating their own country. They then go for global domination, and you're the only one who can stop them.
To stop the "Lunarians" you must build a rocket which can fly through their force field. To build the rocket, you must use the 5 CIA agents assigned to you to investigate the countries of the world, locate the 5 rocket labs, fly to each one with your rocket pack, and defeat the (increasingly difficult) guard of each one in a fist fight. You must also fill the rocket with 200 units of the special fuel "Lunarium" (which your rocket pack also uses). When these conditions are met, you can fly to the moon to finish the final two battles and rescue your girlfriend.
But it's not an easy game. There are NUMEROUS ways to screw up- For example, if you take too long to build the rocket, the lunarians take over the white house. If you spend too much time in the war room (say, waiting for your agents to send you fuel) the president arrests you for being a coward. (I had to restart this run 2 times because I couldn't avoid getting arrested)
Here's the breakdown of what I did in the movie:
- First I go to the war room and make a few months pass (select button) so the agent in Venezuela finds the fuel depot. I then assign him to send fuel back to me every month. I go back to the base, and make a few more months pass so that he sends me some gas (I just barely didn't get arrested)
- I then load up my rocket pack with the exact amount of fuel needed for the trip (128) and I go to the 5 rocket labs (which are conveniently positioned in a diagonal line- Brazil, Chilie, USSR, Yugoslavia, and Italy). I didn't need the agents to find them for me, obviously. They are placed depending on the frame that the start button is hit at the beginning of the game.
- For the 4th and 5th rocket lab soldiers- their reflexes are so fast, it's faster to punch them to make them block you and begin your attack the moment they drop their guard.
- After I got all the rocket parts, I send a SOS (because I'm out of fuel) and get taken back to base. There, I hop into the war room to make a few months pass to give me all the fuel I need for the rocket. I then transfer the fuel to the rocket, hop in, and go to the moon.
- I fought the lunarians dressed up as women. The gun is very hard to aim (the bullet travels a set distance before it disappears, and you miss if it's not on top of the target when it disappears) and it reloads very slowly.
- I defeated the final boss with a glitch that kills him if you're ducking at the bottom of the screen when one of his eyes are shot.
That should be all. I hope this movie made you laugh, or at least wonder what the heck kind of a game it was.