Table of contents [expand all
] [collapse all
We use special emulators that support tools such as savestate and frame advance, and generate movie files from them. These movie files are nothing more than a recording of input. They do not contain images or video. All movie format specifications can be found here.
: The majority of rerecording emulators are third-party modifications of existing open-source emulators. In most cases, only these rerecording emulators can play and make TASes, and not the official emulator.
We do not by any means claim that using any of these emulators will guarantee "correct" results. There may be bugs in these emulators which have gone unnoticed due to lack of testing.
You should read DesyncHelpTAS
before making any serious projects. All movies are highly dependent on the timing and the slightest difference may cause a desync
. We cannot
help you if you lose work due to desync problems. You must also read the Movie Rules
if you plan to submit your work to this site.
For a comprehensive list of supported Platforms and their emulators, see the Platforms
Accepted but Not Preferred Emulators
Deprecated Emulators (Obsoleted/Not Recommended)
Not accepted at all
| System|| Emulator|| Movie Format|
| DOOM demo|| (various)|| LMP|
See also: Other Emulators
- Using: Instructions on how to perform common tasks on different emulators. For more specifications, see each emulator's Google Code page.
- Encoding Guide: Instructions on how to encode movies into high quality multimedia files suitable for easy viewing. (You do not need this for submitting movies.)
- Recent emulator updates: Recent changes to the rerecording emulators.
- Recent emulator bug reports: Recent bug reports to the rerecording emulators.
- Desired features: Lists emulator features wished by users, and compares the features of different emulators.
- Development: List information about source code projects, how to compile, and how to contribute to emulator development.
- Grrl: A project for a Linux version of Gens.
- Potential emulators: List of ideas for developers. Lists non-approved open source emulators with links and status of their development.
- TASVideos Requirements: Lists emulator features required by this site.
- Emulator task list: open development tasks for emulators in use on the site.