This site depends on the contributions of its audience. Without you, there would be no TASVideos! Everybody has something they can contribute!
This list is broken down into types of contributing depending on the experience and resources of the user.
Just watching and giving your opinions can greatly help the site.
Voting for submissions
- If you have logged in, you can rate movies. This helps improve the quality of the current ratings. The more opinions the better.
- Registered users at the forums can become a test audience and vote on submissions, based on whether they liked it or not.
- It helps the judges in deciding whether the submission should be published to become part of the site's material, or rejected because it does not have enough entertainment and/or perfection in it.
- Note: Voting does not become available immediately. One needs to spend some effort in getting known by fellow posters before the voting becomes available.
(Advice on rating/voting is available at Voting Guidelines
Watch our movies on our Streaming media accounts
- Every publication has a link to the movie on Viddler, YouTube and/or Dailymotion. Watching movies here increases our views which indirectly helps contribute the site.
All our publications come with a high quality video file (normally MKV or MP4 for new publications) available to users via BitTorrent.
Seed is a client who has a full copy of the file. When BitTorrent says "Download complete", you are a seed. Seeds are very helpful
and in fact urgently needed,
because without them, MKV/MP4 downloading doesn't work. Even a small 5 kb/s is welcome.
To become a seed, just start downloading a movie and when
it asks where to save it, select your existing fully
downloaded movie. This makes you a seed, which only uploads.
Without uploaders, nobody can download!
It is possible to seed multiple files simultaneously.
has written a script called
which automatically juggles the torrent files so that
the files which most urgently need seeding are being shared.
If you're a Windows user,
see the how to run Btfriend in Windows
Urgent seed requests
Here's an automatically generated list of files that most urgently need seeding right now (updated every 5 minutes):
There are 51 torrents in need of seeding. Displaying maximum of 10.
How to read the priority:
Priorities over 10000 are when the file has no seeds at all. This is most important. Without seeds, it's likely that people can not complete their download at all.
Priorities over 0.5 are when the file has a suboptimal number of seeds when compared to the number of downloaders. The higher the priority, the bigger the number of downloaders compared to the number of seeds.
The goal of the site is to share high quality Tool-assisted Speedrun/Superplay (abbreviated TAS) movies to the world. Therefore, our most important contribution are TAS movies themselves!
Making a TAS movie requires a rerecording capable emulator
Be sure to read our TASing Guide
before attempting a TAS. This page includes some instructional videos on TAS making as well.
Also be sure to read the Movie Rules
a TAS movie.
- Do you think you know a game you can make an entertaining TAS of?
- Do you think you could improve some existing movie?
You are more than welcome to try!
This site is a Wiki. Almost anyone can become an editor
upon request. To do so, contact an admin assistant or site admin
. Please mention if there is anything in particular you are hoping to contribute. Editors can edit the pages of this site and create new pages.
Check out the custom markup
before you start.
Needed editing contributions
- Adding descriptions to published movies.
- Creating screenshots for publications that need them. Read Screenshots first.
- Adding TAS techniques to pages in the Game Resources. We are always desiring a greater body of knowledge of gaming techniques.
- Combing the forum wishlists and adding them to the ListOfIdeas as well as adding your own requests. It is important to keep this page up to date with good TAS ideas.
- Helping with the TODO.
- Writing a good TAS tutorial. Our site needs good instructional tutorials on how to get started making a TAS. Any TAS tutorial should be linked in the Guidelines.
People with coding experience are urgently needed.
Helping emulator development
This site depends on emulators capable of rerecording, most of which are open source. We are always in need of help from coders for maintaining and developing these emulators. Anyone interested in rerecording emulator development should consult Emulator Resources/Development
. A list of specific open tasks can be found at Emulator Task List
want new good rerecording emulators. People often over estimate the amount of experience needed to make useful coding contributions. Many times, unimplemented features, or bugs are the result of lack of time, not difficulty in coding. If you have any experience in C, C++, or C# and are curious about helping, please contact adelikat
We greatly hope people will help improve emulators to meet our site requirements
. Interested in adding rerecording tools but don't know of a particular emulator? See our list of potential emulators
Coding for the site
Help is needed in expanding the capabilities of the site itself. Help is urgently needed by coders with modest experience in PHP and SQL.
The site is founded on publishing encoded movies. Without these, we have no site. Therefore, we are always looking for people capable of making good encodes.
Making quick encodes of submissions
These encodes aren't as demanding as our Encoder Guidelines
. We like it when our submissions
are encoded and put on a streaming media
site. Contact a publisher
for more information.
Making encodes for publication
Accepted movies need to be published, meaning they require high quality multimedia files meeting strict requirements
to be created; the Encoding Guide
has suggestions for how to get started.
In addition, we have many historical movies requiring encodes suitable for streaming on YouTube
Becoming a publisher
If you have encodes published on the site and feel you can contribute to the publication process, contact a senior publisher or administrator
about becoming a publisher.