"Stars" represent the highest publication tier
at TASVideos. Starred movies are the premium/popular/unique movies
on this site, of incredibly high quality and entertainment value.
- This is the highest tier with the strictest publication requirements.
- The aim of this tier is to be approximately 5-10% of size of the Moon tier.
- Aims to fulfill the site's goal of exposing as many people as possible to Tool-assisted Speedrun/Superplay movies as an art form.
- Audience engagement is the largest factor (large number of voters, viewers, comments).
- Also requires approval of one or more admin dedicated to maintaining the Star list (starman role).
- The TAS itself must be perceived as of highest quality.
- Shining example of entertaining the audience, being impressive, showing a mastery of TAS techniques, using unexpected/seemingly impossible ideas, expertise of the game.
Game and goal choice
- Game choice is a very large factor. The game must be one that engages the audience easily, and does not depend on prior knowledge of Tool-assisted literature; easily grabs attention. (A natural consequence is that game popularity will play a role here, since familiarity of the game increases audience engagement).
- Game choice must be one that allows for a variety of TAS techniques, strategies, and ideas. In other words, it must be difficult to make an optimized TAS.
- Goal choice must be one that is easily understood and clear to the audience.
- Goal choices must not be too esoteric. It must cater to the average user rather than the TAS experts of the given game.