Post subject: PSX emulator to function like VBA and FCE Ultra?
Banned User
I seek a PlayStation emulator that would carry the exact same features as FCE Ultra and Visual Boy Advance, where it is possible to make small movie files while emulating PlayStation ISO's/BIN's. I'm talking re-records and even AVI recording. And what I mean by this is that there are quite a few pretty good PSX ISO's/BIN's to TAS off of. But the question is do we have a perfect emulator (and a combination of BIOS images and drivers) that would get the job done? I doubt that a PSX emulator as good as FCE Ultra and VBA exists, but I look forward to obtaining this in the future. Until I see another PSX emulator, I stick with ePSXe. Thanx for understanding.
Post subject: Re: PSX emulator to function like VBA and FCE Ultra?
Editor, Active player (296)
Wait, and you shall have. Probably. According to my sources, re-recording movie support is being developed to pSX. And according to my experiences, pSX is pretty good.
Question from someone who has never used a PSX emulator: are the isos/bins in the hundreds of megs range? Or are they smaller then that?
Has never colored a dinosaur.
Twelvepack wrote:
Question from someone who has never used a PSX emulator: are the isos/bins in the hundreds of megs range? Or are they smaller then that?
I think you can reasonably expect them to be in the 400-600 MB range.
Experienced player (822)
Twelvepack wrote:
Lets just say that the Final Fantasy VII folder I have is 2.07 GB.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
ugh.... reason I many never watch any PSX tas. =P
Has never colored a dinosaur.
Can't you run PSX games from the disk drive, so you dont have to put them on your hard drive?
dartht33bagger wrote:
Can't you run PSX games from the disk drive, so you dont have to put them on your hard drive?
Theres that, but wouldn't different CD drives and speeds effect synchronisation? That and if the speedrun author uses an iso, things could be drastically different.
<adelikat> I am annoyed at my irc statements ending up in forums & sigs
Banned User, Former player
Raiscan wrote:
dartht33bagger wrote:
Theres that, but wouldn't different CD drives and speeds effect synchronisation? That and if the speedrun author uses an iso, things could be drastically different.
Just as different speed hard-drives tend to make no difference, thsi should not either (for a well-coded emulator) The solution is just to use ISOs regardless.
Perma-banned
I don't think it matters which media the ISO is read from -- a CD drive, a harddrive or a network share. I use the latter. The emulator is supposed to handle timings, not the host. Even if your media is slow, that's no different from running mupen64 on a slow computer. The timings in the emulation are still created with the emulated system's rules, not the host's rules; i.e. AVIs made from movies will play as if they were created on the authentic system.
Tub
well, they should be if rerecording is supposed to work, but not every emulator does it that way. for example pcsx2 is multithreaded and does not have full synchronisation (for speed reasons), UAE offers a disk mode that'll pass the data as fast as possible (because no Amiga program should expect certain disk speeds anyway, it's a heterogeneous platform) etc. so while rerecording requires the emulator to be completely deterministic and not affected by host-based timings, that can't be taken for granted. There are valid different design decisions when writing an emulator.
m00
according to my experience, pSX isn't good at all. it says it can't find libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0, even after i installed it. the windows version just crashes in wine.
Experienced player (822)
Bob A wrote:
according to my experience, pSX isn't good at all. it says it can't find libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0, even after i installed it. the windows version just crashes in wine.
Funny, it's worked perfectly for me, and I haven't had to configure any damn plugins either.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Bob A wrote:
Quoth the README:
http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/readme.txt wrote:
Under Linux pSX requires the following shared libraries/packages : OpenGL ALSA GTK GTKGLEXT libxml2
Are you sure you installed that library? Not its source code? Not to some other system? Not some other version? Not some development headers only? Was the file it complains about placed in /usr/lib/ ? Or did it start complaining about some other library after you installed that one? Do not try to run it under Wine. That's just stupid.
yes; i installed the 1.2.0-0ubuntu1 version of libgtkglext1, libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0 is sitting in my /usr/lib, and that's the file it's complaining doesn't exist. i tried running it under wine because i usually get better results running emulators in wine.
Bob A wrote:
yes; i installed the 1.2.0-0ubuntu1 version of libgtkglext1, libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0 is sitting in my /usr/lib, and that's the file it's complaining doesn't exist.
Oh. well, there ends my ability to provide support. If it were my system, next I'd check where it tries to locate that lib (use strace), whether the lib directory is include in ld.so.conf (curiously, it isn't on mine), etc., but instructing those over messages is too hasslesome.
Active player (308)
If you love me... I mean if you really love me, discuss in this thread. -> http://psxemulator.proboards54.com/index.cgi?board=feedback&action=display&thread=1200275207 That may be our only chance to get a decent re-recording psx emulator. And I said DISCUSS, not TROLL (that's my job)...
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
Skilled player (1637)
I highly doubt that PSX will be the emulator of choice for TASes in the long term. PsXauthor seems very distant from his community. His source is sealed. Note that the best emulators here have large contributors in the community, so that they work seemlessly for TASing. With closed source and limited access, it will be banging against a brick wall of frustration. Seriously, the admins do the talking for him like he is some kind of Japanese emperor.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
I would usually like to post more optimistic messages in this thread, but now I'm feeling like venting to the original recipient did not help my mood enough. So I'll post it here as well. (For reference, this was the third time I sent a message with an identical subject and the first two lines within last month, with no reply.)
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 22:01:51 +0300 (EEST) From: Joel Yliluoma <email> To: pSXAuthor <email> Subject: Rerecording movie support status inquiry Hi, what is the status at implementing the rerecording movie support in pSX? Anything I can help with? PS: Why do you always become deadlocked when I offer to help you? WHY IS HELPING SUCH A <expletive> TABOO TO YOU? If you still insist[1] on claiming that you're completely capable of doing things entirely by yourself, then 1) why does that justify you treating me like I'm not a person worth talking to, and 2) WAKE UP: TASing has usually been added into emulators in rather a short time - on the order of few weeks since the beginning of the project. You have taken three months since my first contacting you, and you've yet to show any results. To me, that looks like you AREN'T doing fine without any help. And you cannot claim that responding to my emails has been taking your time either, because, well, you haven't replied to them. -- Joel Yliluoma http://iki.fi/bisqwit/
Perhaphs he just does not know who you are and thinks you are one of those "gimme gimme gimme new version now" guys ^_^
zefiris wrote:
Perhaphs he just does not know who you are and thinks you are one of those "gimme gimme gimme new version now" guys ^_^
Well, I did introduce myself when I first contacted him, like so:
Hello, pSXAuthor. I recently installed pSX and used it to play through Chrono Cross -- it worked almost perfectly and was the first and only psx emulator actually that I managed to install and to run without a hitch. I use Linux. But the reason I'm contacting you... I am the author of the TASVideos website, which concentrates on tool-assisted superplay movies: movies of games being played with superb performance using emulation tools to improve player's precision. I would like to have movie support, and especially rerecording movie support, into pSX. I would be glad to discuss this idea with you. I am also a software designer; I've contributed to SNES9x and ZSNES, as well as written tons of free software applications myself. I would like to contribute by coding -- even as far as try to add the movie code entirely myself, if only pSX were open source... Please get back to me when you have time.
This message he did respond to. Which got my hopes up.
That's sad then... :(
emu
Active player (380)
No matter what the result is, many thanks for contacting him and your efforts to get a rerecording psx emulator, bisqwit.
Skilled player (1405)
The only logical step: Look towards a different emulator. Unfortunately, I know not of any others. :(
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Active player (278)
Or we could keep badgering the author until his will cracks! Who's with me?
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude