Former player
I have done this too if my memory is correct. But would it be faster? Doesn't that mean you have to go past the hammer and thus stop the run a few frames later? I don't know this but it seems most logical to me.
/Walker Boh
Walker Boh wrote:
I have done this too if my memory is correct. But would it be faster? Doesn't that mean you have to go past the hammer and thus stop the run a few frames later? I don't know this but it seems most logical to me.
I kinda thought that too.. but it's all a matter of where it's stopped... at the very least, it MAY save a few frames per level if this is done on a full game run... I knew it was a long shot when posting, but I figured, every little bit counts. Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Former player
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin wrote:
I knew it was a long shot when posting, but I figured, every little bit counts.
Word.
/Walker Boh
Former player
My 5:03.73 fmv for SMB stops when Mario touches the axe and stops moving.
Former player
I seem to remember Bowser being dead and jumping over the axe many times (simple to pull off) and it's still there when the screen scrolls, but never when he was still alive.
Active player (277)
Oh, that's right... You probably have to kill him with fireballs first.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Post subject: Super Mario Bros warpless
Active player (410)
Now that we have finished doing the short version, we can start doing the full version. Do you have some recommendations?
Former player
I've worked on it not seriously, and the time is easily beatable by several seconds. One of Yy's problems was not pressing left and right to slow down. And it was done with the 30 fps Famtasia. He did that level with the spring at the very end to slow (2-1?), and he missed several coins and enemies. He didn't do the backwards jumping trick at the start. So, a better movie can easily be done. Too bad that none of the glitches just discovered can really be used in the movie (I think) Oh, and are you going for fastest in real time, or fastest in time units?
Active player (410)
For fastest in real time.
Former player
Yy's movie focuses on timeunits, so for a realistic comparison, any new version should, too.
Active player (410)
If the fastest way to complete the game = having the best timeunits, then it's cool but that's not my goal.
Former player
Well, if he matches him in time units in every level, or does it one slower to avoid fireworks, it shouldn't be a problem.
Former player
Doesn't fastest time units sort of automatic means fastest real time? Ok, it could be problems with the fireworks but in other games perhaps?
/Walker Boh
Former player
Well, if it doesn't have something like fireworks (e.g. The 50,000 time unit bonus in Sonic), then that is true.
Active player (410)
I have just finished 1-1 to 1-4. Evidently, I use the beginning of my precedent movie. It can be downloaded there: http://hiddendragon.sytes.net/Super%20Mario%20Bros.%20(JU)%20(PRG0)%20%5b!%5d.zip If there's something wrong, tell me.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
Look into that get hurt by the axe glitch and see if it saves you time. Also consider that shooting bowser can save time.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Active player (410)
Nach wrote:
Look into that get hurt by the axe glitch and see if it saves you time. Also consider that shooting bowser can save time.
I have watched the "Show glitches" run and it seems the animation bridge is there. To become fiery Mario, I must lose 122 frames maybe a little more for animation + the fact I must do some detour to collect Mushroom and Fireflower. I have some doubt it is faster. The problem, I don't know how many frames it saves for killing Bowser that way, if it's the case. Maybe I should test since there's 8 Bowser well 7 since I don't care about the 8th one because I can jump to collect the axe.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
Yes... See how much you save and *7.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Phil wrote:
I have just finished 1-1 to 1-4. Evidently, I use the beginning of my precedent movie. It can be downloaded there: http://hiddendragon.sytes.net/Super%20Mario%20Bros.%20(JU)%20(PRG0)%20%5b!%5d.zip If there's something wrong, tell me.
The link doesn't seem to work...
Active player (410)
The link is supposed to work in 5 minutes or so. Anyway, I will probably redo it to obtain a mushroom and fireflower.
Thanks, I just got the file. ^^
Active player (410)
I have updated my run. It's now 1-1 to 2-4. Let me know if you see something that bother you. http://hiddendragon.sytes.net/Super%20Mario%20Bros.%20(JU)%20(PRG0)%20%5b!%5d.zip Edit: I forgot to mention it's faster to use a Fireflower than just small Mario. Tested and verified. :)
Editor, Active player (296)
Entry to the water pipe in 2-2 looked somewhat clumsier than in the water pipe on 8-4. In 2-3, you missed a few coins that you could have easily took. (Not the 6 coins in row, but everything else.) Otherwise your decisions on that matter looked right.
Active player (410)
Bisqwit wrote:
Entry to the water pipe in 2-2 looked somewhat clumsier than in the water pipe on 8-4. In 2-3, you missed a few coins that you could have easily took. (Not the 6 coins in row, but everything else.) Otherwise your decisions on that matter looked right.
:) I know you, Bisqwit, would say that. When Mario is big, it enters the pipe slower than when it is small. I have tested a lot of things and it was the fastest. For the coins, I thought it will not be necessary to collect them all since they are not so important. Unless you tell me what's entertaining to collect them.
Editor, Active player (296)
Thanks for the explanation regarding the pipe.
Phil wrote:
For the coins, I thought it will not be necessary to collect them all since they are not so important. Unless you tell me what's entertaining to collect them.
I answer with a quote.
Guidelines wrote:
Be interesting. * If you have the choice, try to do things in a more impressive way than the easy way. * * If enemies are hard to kill, kill them. * * If an object is hard to miss, miss it. * * It's better to leave your audience asking "how" rather than "why".
But it's up to you to decide what constitutes as interesting / impressive.