Editor, Active player (296)
Can you avoid the game lag near the stairs with the small spikecars? I think it lagged for Linnom too, but I'd like to hear if you've tried to eliminate the lag. Anyway, you have the green light! I'm eager to see more progress updates.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
it cant be removed because of the amount of cars on the screen, if i shoot it's gonna be just another object on the screen which makes for more lag, so the only way to do it would be killing the first one with punches, but it's kinda out of range for that. the lag doubles the frames (what it seems to do is to repeat the frame untill NES knows how to draw the next frame), i havent seem a lag on batman that draws the same frame 3 times, and on the stairs the total amount of doubled frames might not be more than 10, while a single punch takes 20 frames to be performed. level 2-1 had many jumping minor improvements and now my movie is 174 frames ahead of limnom's. but i need to consider getting ammo, i have only 20 at start of level 2-2. edit: end of level 2-3 total improvement = 362 frames (6 seconds) and i could get some ammo now i have 60 ammo units to be able to fight the boss, let's see what i can come up with :)
How is this project progressing, FODA?
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
i reached level 3, but i'm concerned with battletoads for now. its my next thing after that.
Ok, good to hear you haven't forgot it. :)
Former player
Here are my thought. I dont have a idea about how to describe it. If I have something wrong, please be generous point it out. -If you can corss though the enemy, dont stand up kick it down. -If you can run, dont jump. If you need jump, jump as high as possible. -If you need use weapon, dont use too much. Choose a good strage to take care of the enemy efficiently. When you use weapon, dont forget combine with jump skill. -The enemy in each stage will slowdown the game speed. You will lost many time if you skip them. The more enemy, the more times. - Use weapon to save time ? I am not sure. Too many enemy will has a lag, but too many weapons also slowdown your speed. So make a choice to find a optimal solution without stop running is very hard for me. Right now, these are coming on my mind. Glad to see you.
Mr. and Mrs. Rerecord: Why do we fall ? So that we might better learn to pick ourselves up.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
i compared my last version and i am impressed that your movie beats my first level by 99 frames!
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (969)
So where and how are they gained?
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
must have something to do with jumping as high as possible, which i really didnt test. i think i went up the shaft too slowly too. even on my speedrun that part seems faster :S i remember that on the timeattack i was worried about pressing A 1 pixel away from the wall, but that is not what matters there.
Former player
Jump high, wall jump , kill enemies or not ,...etc. More advance the timeing you jump high, the timing you wall jump, the timing you shoot them all, the angle you walkthough the enemies. Though these are not right completely, I always test them. Because there may exist invisible frame(1~2) for some long term journey. Edit There are more high advance I want to say but I think you may lose your mind.
Mr. and Mrs. Rerecord: Why do we fall ? So that we might better learn to pick ourselves up.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Former player
Okey (I'm not good at english, if there is grammar problem, you can mercilessly point it out, please.) Here are my thought - Weapon (batarang, gun, 3-way shoot) For example, Batarang is the middle distance weapon. When you throw it to the enemy, CPU will start calculate its moving path and check if there is enemy at its position. When it move one distance(1 frame ? maybe or maybe not), CPU check it once. So at weapon time, CPU will have an extra "weapon hit" calculation in the normal subroutine. Of course, when batarang hit enemy, CPU takes some clock cycles minus 1 hp from enemy. More hit then more -1, others same. Because it's the middle distance weapon, CPU will have less time to calculate it. If gun, ya that's right. It's very far away distance depending on your move to affect it to out of screen. So gun will active CPU more time(clock) to process. Next 3-way shoot. Including all above, it has wide rang need to process. Not only in the straight way but also the the measure of area. So 3-way shoot is the most Time-consuming usage. - Jump When jump then jump high. When you are on the rise, game will process how long you press the jump, then determine your height. When you are down, just like normal movement but the thing when back to the groud. So after such difference, you should jump high. But sometimes if you are in the large room, you will active the enemy upper stair. So try a good way, jump high or not. It depend on the next motion you need to do. .● /█\ . /\ AB ──┐ G ......└── B is the edge of road. one step more you will drop. A is the previous step than B. Same logic, if no other cases I may choose A as my start to jump. Sometimes G has different plateform such as stage 2-3 chain road. small jump on it is a good idea. .● /█\ C.......... E ./\ ┌─┐D ┌─┐ F . ─┘. └─┘.. └─ Next when you move to F, which one you'll choose ? C then F or D then F, I have no idea, sorry. Though there are the same 2 jumps need. Above they are hardly to detect difference in a short term. When you combine jump and shoot, the lower position will be a good idea. About the wall jump and the maximun particles we should avoid, that's a trouble for me. ---- Not correct completely. You can test it. ^.^
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
I tested the jumping, i jumped by holding A for 1 frame on a flat surface, against holding A as much as possible on the same surface, and it saved 3 frames. I still dont really understand why though. To me, that is crazy, maybe punch as much as possible could do something too? Or maybe jump holding left+right, i have no idea why these things happen. edit: tested further, on a flat surface, after you hold A in the air (while rising from the jump) for 7 frames, that is enough already. no other visible frame is saved by holding longer (unless its a part of frame, like 1/2)
FODA wrote:
I tested the jumping, i jumped by holding A for 1 frame on a flat surface, against holding A as much as possible on the same surface, and it saved 3 frames.
Apparently, jecy has found a flaw in the Guidelines!
Active player (278)
Yes, it's good to test EVERY jumping method anyway.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Former player
To FODA: Thanks for the testing, FODA. :) I just guess the logic how the game(other game may also) is working. Have more pressed key combination then may produce more timing. That's why I call it invisible frames. As for "unless its a part of frame, like 1/2", right, that's the thing I really want you to feel. To Master Bisqwit: Thanks, I'm just lucky to find it. To Bag of Magic Food: Yes, you can say that again ! BTW, I found something about enemy, that blue car(aka. spinning gear). It may has the most time-consuming. Take care of them maybe a good idea. Edit: BATMAN WIPs, level 1 finished(23 fr. ahead). Anyone would like to continue ?
Active player (278)
I'd like it to be continued...
Former player
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
I'd like it to be continued...
Wow, Bag of Magic Food, I post it in silence and hope not to be seen so quickly. How did you know that so soon? You are magic player! Back to topic. I worried about the slight lag around 3010 fr., though I had reduced 1 fr. lag. Due to the quality of the game, this time I should be serious doing this run. There is a rule(to me) for the big lag, no allow successive 3 double frames. Or pay some frames(8 or so) to eliminate them. Well, deep thinking...(I'm pickier) Beside, FCEU maybe change from 0.98.12 to 0.98.13. That's attractive. So may I stop for a while ? edit: hmm, thx for the guidance, Webmaster. ^.^;
jecy wrote:
Wow, Bag of Magic Food, I post it in silence and hope not to be seen so quickly. How did you know that so soon? You are magic player!
We have a spy, called NesVideoAgent. :) He lurks at our IRC channel and announces every time someone posts or edits a post.
Former player
Hi~ I found Macbee's Batman Hacks on the Zophar's site. That is a graphics hack of Batman making his build and costume look more like the Batman in the movie. Is it cool ? Snapshot http://fast.filespace.org/Jecy/Batman-hack.png Original http://fast.filespace.org/Jecy/Batman.png
Active player (278)
Yeah... Makes you wonder why he had to be so BLUE.
Former player
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
Yeah... Makes you wonder why he had to be so BLUE.
I have no idea. The hack looks like not bad. ---- BLUE has another meaning: in bad mood.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
they only wanted to make batman stand out against the black background of the levels. so they either put batman black and all backgrounds blue, or they should do the way they did. his blue color was chosen in favor of gameplay.
Former player
BATMANwip 4-2 If anyone has a idea about it, please let me know. If not unexpected, next time my update will be the final ver.. I'm afraid that I wont do it again after finishing it(going nearly mad...), thanks. ----- [Stage 1] 1-1: 02fr. 1-2: 23fr. Boss: 0fr. :( [Stage 2] 2-1: 29fr. 2-2: 36fr. 2-3: 51fr. Boss: 70fr. [Stage 3] 3-1: 30fr. 3-2: 26fr. 3-3: 09fr. Boss: 0fr. :( [Stage 4] 4-1: 46fr. 4-2: 01fr. -> total so far 321fr.
jecy wrote:
total so far 321fr.
O_O You are incredible. Edit: I noticed you used less weapons than the last time. Also, you manipulated enemies to disappear as soon as possible. I couldn't find flaws.