(Link to video)

Raccoon Forest, july 1998, Stars Alpha Team, a police elite unit is doing a reckon after a serie of unresolved murders.
Join Jill and Chris to uncover the root events of Raccon City. Welcome in the prelude to the horror.

Summary

• Use Suboptimal Character
  • Abuse Programming Error
  • Takes Damage To Save Time
  • Manipulates Luck
  • Emulator used: psxjin (2.0.2)
  • Length:57:42 Frames:207757 Re-records:32208
  • Doors Opened : 172
  • Zombies Killed : 1

About this movie

Ive been contacted on irc last month by Uroboros who did a Hunk run for Resident Evil2, I was pleased by the quality of the run (especially for a begginer) and convinced him that first it would be better to do the main game, we decided to co-op and do the 4 A/B movies (outch!).
Soon afterward Ajax decided to submit his run, while at first look the movie looked great I figured it was missing precision when looking closer to the input file, we decided then with Uroboros to optimize this movie before going further with RE2.
This is 03:41.85 faster than the canceled movie (note that the canceled movie end 63 seconds too late, if the movie ending doesnt fit audiance/judges this can be changed easly). Id like to give Ajax proper credits for doing a good draft/test run, it wasnt very hard to optimize our movie with that reference, yet no input was kept so I dont put him as a co-author. We use original mode because it is faster.
Thanks also to Spider-Waffle for pointing out the glitch with the plant to get the armor key without chemical, i dont know with precision how much this saved but its over a minute, and this is the main twist compared to Ajax's movie. It might be possible to optimize further the skip and damage itself, but thats the best we nailed down so far.
The difference route wise with canceled movie is that you dont have to get the chemical so it avoid the whole right wing exploration of the mansion in the begin, but this also prevent the meeting with barry (giving acid rounds), this switch the set of cutscenes, forcing you to listen to barry behind 002's door, note that if you get the key before listening to that dialogue, then you can open door and get an extra cutscene with barry, leading also to barry not saving you at the plant boss.
If it wasnt for that trick we would still been about a minute faster, while following the older route we did save ~20seconds for reaching the serum room trought various optimizations. To be totally frank the canceled movie was poor technically (but still pretty good on route), just on the main menu we could save over 100 frames, you can even notice real time the intro starting after menus.
Im not going to be a lot verbose on the technical aspect of this movie, I dont think this is "perfect" but I think we did quite a good job and explored many strategies, the menu "trick" that Ajax did use prooved to be slower in most cases, Im not even sure it save anything for real time speedrunners because the time it take to go menu is higher than the time it take for Jill finishing her animation (and yeah the time in menus is counted for final time), this is usefull for snake basicly it save a few frames because you are forced to switch guns, if you press menu too fast then damage doesnt register.
We founded a few tricks, but you can hardly call them "tricks", for exemple when you USE an item, instead of letting the menu disapear by itself, you can press start after waiting one frame and remove about 6/7 frames from the fade out, rapid shooting works like in RE3 (turbo the R1 key and hold X), Jill doesnt run faster with a one handed weapon in this game.
The snake boss required some luck manipulation to register full damage with grenades, but otherwise we arent really needing to manipulate luck, the ammount of rooms affect by rng is very small (4 or 5 by memory), it affect usually the AI of the zombies, otherwise the game is flat deterministic and its one of the most syncable game I tased so far, probably due to the fact this game is a nest of frame rules (cameras, menu, doors ect...).
The range for further optimization depend of the ammount of route change involved, if the route is stricly the same i dont except more than 5-10 seconds to be saved, unless we did some errors that we are not aware off. The complexity of the cutscenes sets may allow for route based time savers, but it require long and tedious testings, maybe avoiding the bazooka could save time but thats probably tight.
Now one more question you guys will want to know about is why PSX and not NDS, well, im all for having the 2 versions published, the games are quite differents with the cutscene removal and extra movements ect... Yet, i dont feel like the screen split would make the NDS version prefered _over_ PSX, if I had to choose only one then I would go for original PSX full screen and cheesy acting.
Then finally why Jill and not Chris, I believe both should be published, Best ending would require several more minutes not sure if its worth to do it, we went for Jill first simply to reuse the draft from Ajax, we are now going to do Chris before going further into RE2.

Uroboros Comments

This is my first TAS submission, first of all sorry for my poor english, i need to use translator sometimes.
Well, i decided to start re1 with arukAdo for being much simple than re2, first for not needing the "RE2/3 fix," and second for reusing a draft from AjAX, by the way i have an undone project of re2 which i really hope to finish after we're done with re1 stuff.
About the spider boss, (not sure if already quoted) i believe its the second easier boss in the game because we don't need to kill it, the first one is the plant boss because his hp isn't random Original mode, it always will be defeated with 3 grenades in this mode.
we needed to use a slightly different method in spider as well, shooting grenades in front of the door or else the spider throw us venom, even this way we saved a few frames.
I don't have much things to say here because arukAdo already tells everything you need to know about the movie.

Enjoy !

sgrunt: Replaced the submission file with one that has the correct frame count of the header.
Mukki: Judging...
Mukki: Accepting as an obsoletion of the currently published run of Resident Evil Deadly Silence. Full opinion...

GabCM: It's been a while since I've published something.

I vote yes since I already liked Ajax's run and this is quite nice improvement to that one. Am I weird, since those door transitions aren't bothering me. Seeing and playing this game since I was 10 years old might have something to do with it. But anyway, there goes my vote.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
sgrunt wrote:
arukAdo wrote:
abyrvalg wrote:
Is it possible to make a doorless encode?
I dont think this will be allowed for a publication
Not for the primary encode, but if there's demand for such a thing I'm sure someone will be willing to work on one as a secondary encode (in the spirit of, say, the Sonic Advance camhack encode).
Another example is this movie where the publication text has a link to an encode that has loading screens removed. Anyway, it looks like it took a lot of work to finish this, so good job! I agree that this version should obsolete the DS version (this one looks better and is the original). Yes vote.
Skilled player (1090)
mklip2001 wrote:
I found this pretty interesting, though I do wonder if it makes sense to have both this and the DS remake included on the site. I would probably suggest that this obsolete the DS version, as it is the original, and the route in this run is also better.
CoolKirby wrote:
I agree that this version should obsolete the DS version (this one looks better and is the original). Yes vote.
Thank you for the comments. I'll hold off on judging this for a couple of days in order to get more feedback on the potential obsoletion. If any of you have a spare moment to provide an opinion on this that would be great. Are the DS and PSX versions of this game sufficiently different to warrant having both published on the site and why? If not which version should be favoured and why? Discuss.
Skilled player (1706)
Mukki wrote:
Are the DS and PSX versions of this game sufficiently different to warrant having both published on the site and why? If not which version should be favoured and why? Discuss.
Yes, they're different because the DS version doesn't have those annoying door transitions. I'd say, publish both; the DS version for people who only wanted to watch the run, and the PSX for those who want nostalgia.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
As far as I can tell the DS and PSX version are nearly identical. The advantages of the DS run is that it skips cutscenes and door transitions. Despite that I'd personally prefer to see the PSX version on the site. However, the GCN version would need be a seperate category due to the extra content that adds 15-20 mins.
Carcinogen detailed the difference in the NDS thread before it was published and so did I when I wanted to publish my version of this TAS. Carcinogen: -Slightly remixed soundtrack from the original -Classic Mode difficulty on par with Japanese PSX versions. -Arrange Mode nixed in favor of Rebirth mode, which contains the same enemy placement and difficulty (damage tables) as Arrange Mode -Enemy AI is changed slightly, mostly in part to new movement animations for the zombies. Dodging patterns are, as a result, different. One of the most prominent examples is that the zombie on the 2F East Stairway hobbles over. This is different from the PSX version in that you can run around it without getting bit (required for speed), or having to bait it out of the way.
Experienced player (954)
Mitjitsu wrote:
the GCN version would need be a seperate category due to the extra content that adds 15-20 mins.
Its a totally different new game, its not just a new "branch". Pretty much like Castlevania: Chronicles As for Carcinogen post...its linked in the submision already. Personally i also prefer psx, for fullscreen basicly.
Player (70)
I'll give it a yes, but I also would suggest to encode it without all the door transitions, because those really sucks, and take a lot out of the game play action. Cheers!
Skilled player (1090)
Apologies for the time it took to reach a decision on this, but there were many things to consider. Unlike other submissions there were three outstanding issues to resolve in judging this. Firstly, whether this run is of sufficient quality to be published. Secondly, if the game is sufficiently different from Resident Evil Deadly Silence to be published alongside it. Thirdly, which version should be preferred if this is not the case. It should be noted that I do not necessarily intend this judgment to set a precedent for original version vs. remakes. I believe these issues should be resolved on a case by case basis by considering the comparative merits of each version for tool-assisted speedrunning. The first issue is relatively straight forward. The run was entertaining, the play was precise and the route was fast. This run is certainly of publishable quality. Next. On to the second issue. If an original title and a remake are to be published alongside each other the differences between them must be considerable. There is little point in publishing two virtually identical TASes. On this particular issue I don't find differences in graphics and music to be a compelling reason to have an extra publication. I see no reason to publish a run of game X and then a run of game X remade with different graphics/music. There will naturally be differences between different versions, but in my opinion considerable differences in gameplay (and, as a result, the actual substance of the TAS) would be required to have both the original and the remake published on the site. This may take the form of a commonly occurring glitch or a vastly different route with new challenges. The gameplay of Deadly Silence is different to the PSX version in a few respects, however, one cannot ignore that a Resident Evil TAS is composed largely, if not mainly, of running through corridors. That one run avoids zombies in a slightly different way to the other run is not a large enough difference when considering what these TASes actually involve. Some of you considered the ability to skip cutscenes as a large difference. I find cutscenes to be a difference in the aesthetic viewing experience, rather than something separate about the substance of the TAS itself. This point will be considered in respect of the final issue. I see no reason to publish two TASes that are virtually identical in substance, where the only difference is that one run has cutscenes and the other does not. Anyway, to summarise, while these games have some differences I didn't find that any of them affected the TAS itself in a large enough way to merit separate publications. Therefore, one version will be favoured over the other. Because both games allow for virtually identical runs it is on the game aesthetics that one shall be favoured. As to the sound I noticed no difference between sound quality of the two games beyond the superficial. Also, the DS version has a slightly modified soundtrack, whether one prefers this or the original is purely subjective and not a good enough reason to distinguish between these games. Now to consider the cutscenes. I strongly dislike judging runs on reasons extraneous to the submitted input file and on this rationale the DS version clearly has an advantage. However, I think that one must be realistic and consider the issue holistically in this case. It is completely feasible that an accompanying encode can be published along with the PSX version that removes the cutscenes and door transitions. There are many version differences that cannot be easily dealt with (sound, graphics, gameplay etc.), but I don't believe that cutscenes are one of them. It would be irrational to favour the DS version for this reason as the unique appeal of the cutscene skip can, and probably will, be included along with a PSX publication. Furthermore, the absence of cutscenes and door transitions can also be seen as a negative aspect. Having played the original and the Gamecube remake the suspense of the door transitions is something I enjoy and find it integral part of the playing experience. I found that this translated well into the TAS. The same applies for the questionable voice acting. The point is that some people love it and some people hate it, but at least the PSX version has the potential to satisfy everyone whereas only the haters are served by the DS run. Therefore, I find the cutscenes to be to the advantage of the PSX version as opposed to the contrary. While I found the difference in sfx to be comparatively superficial, the difference in gfx is quite substantial in my opinion. The graphics of the DS version are rather bland by comparison to the PSX version throughout, and some parts of the DS version are particularly bad. For example, the U-shaped corridor on the second floor of the mansion looks horrible in the DS version as does the room to the east that leads the player down to the Tiger statue. I found that areas where the colour brown clashes with bad lighting tended to look reddish and unappealing. Towards the end the laboratory looks far worse and the boiler room with the chimeras suffers from the same brown/lighting problem. Furthermore, one needs only to look at the 'blood' of Wesker in the DS version to see which version is more true to the franchise. Therefore I am of the opinion that the PSX version of Resident Evil is to be favoured over the DS version. In short, the gameplay differences are too trivial to have both runs published and the ability to skip cutscenes in the DS version is not a good enough reason to disregard the superior visuals of the PSX version. I am accepting this submission as an obsoletion of the currently published Resident Evil Deadly Silence run. Notes: - I deliberately avoided commenting on the status of the Gamecube version. My intuitive impression is that the a run of the GC version is different enough in style and substance to warrant a separate run, but that is a decision to be made when such a run is submitted. - I also realise that there are three 'Original' PSX Resident Evil games; the Original, Director's Cut and Dual Shock. This judgment does not claim that the Original is the best of the three, only that the Original is superior to Deadly Silence. The others have aspects that may make them faster/more entertaining. I am not necessarily of the opinion that the original is the best version, merely that the DS version is the worst.
Experienced player (954)
I would like to add my 2 cents for the original mode choice, the reason is mainly speed, the arrange mode brakes a crest in 2 smaller parts (that need to be combined afterward), this consequently roll many items placement. Worse, in arrange mode... the only sequence break we use would be totally moot, since behind the tentacles theres no longer the armor key ... :/ Thats the reasons we sticked to orignal, faster completion, and possibility to do the sequence break. Now i dunno if ppl would like to see a 100% run, but we are doing the chris run, and it should be faster (same thing happen for original vs arrange for him as well) Also, plz note that the game is syncable to a crazy extent, this mean i could sync the movie with Dual Shock version, without much many troubles, and 99.9% identical input. We decided not to use it because there is the screen "This game contain violence and gore", 5 seconds lost. Im pretty sure hexing the movie could work in all directions.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1876] PSX Resident Evil "Jill" by arukAdo & Uroboros in 57:42.62
GabCM
He/Him
Now that this movie is published, I have a question for all of you. Do you want an encode that skips all of the door/stairs/ladder transitions?
Skilled player (1090)
It'd certainly be worth making one. Even if it was just another youtube link in the description it'd still serve its purpose.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
I think it would be good as a secondary encode. Some people are annoyed by all the door transitions and cutscenes and more people might watch if they could see just the action instead.
Active player (432)
Mister Epic wrote:
Now that this movie is published, I have a question for all of you. Do you want an encode that skips all of the door/stairs/ladder transitions?
Yes please.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
GabCM
He/Him
Alright, so I'll make an encode with the gameplay only.
2011-09-07 Added [1876] PSX Resident Evil - Director's Cut (USA) by arukAdo & Uroboros in 57:42.62 (pjm,mp4) - obsoletes [1427] DS Resident Evil: Deadly Silence (USA) by Fladdermus in 28:44.68 I'm not sure that's right.
"The guy was fatally injured and wants to be covered by God's tears (rain) before he dies. God is too busy to bother because it wastes frames." Frames 16:26
GabCM
He/Him
xnamkcor wrote:
2011-09-07 Added [1876] PSX Resident Evil - Director's Cut (USA) by arukAdo & Uroboros in 57:42.62 (pjm,mp4) - obsoletes [1427] DS Resident Evil: Deadly Silence (USA) by Fladdermus in 28:44.68 I'm not sure that's right.
It was Mukki's decision.
Mister Epic wrote:
xnamkcor wrote:
It was Mukki's decision.
Ah, I just noticed they were different game names when I posted. I guess I should watch it then. I'm wondering how a 50 minute and a 28 minute TAS are identical enough to think about this. Also, we still have the "obsolete" one's input recording and encode. I guess there's really nothing lost anyway. This just seems to concern the database.
"The guy was fatally injured and wants to be covered by God's tears (rain) before he dies. God is too busy to bother because it wastes frames." Frames 16:26
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
xnamkcor wrote:
Also, we still have the "obsolete" one's input recording and encode. I guess there's really nothing lost anyway. This just seems to concern the database.
Lol, every obsolete run has an input recording and encode.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
NitroGenesis wrote:
xnamkcor wrote:
Also, we still have the "obsolete" one's input recording and encode. I guess there's really nothing lost anyway. This just seems to concern the database.
Lol, every obsolete run has an input recording and encode.
Yes, yes it does. Thanks for reminding everyone. On a similar note, tomorrow is Saturday.
And Sunday comes afterwards.
Active player (432)
You still working on this Mister Epic?
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Banned User, Former player
Is it just me, or does this game have the worst voice acting ever in the history of video games?
Experienced player (954)
Link to video You mean this ? then yes :p "No, Dont go!"