Post subject: BizHawk 1.0.5 Released
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
BizHawk 1.0.5 Released. Some big changes in this release. NESHawk has a TON more mapper support, greatly increasing its game compatiblity. In addition a ton of sound emulation issues were fixed. For Lua, I built an interesting new forms library. With these functions you can create your own custom tool dialogs and assign lua functions to button events! This should be very helpful for making UI for your lua scripts. I also added several more lua functions for controlling anything related to emulation speed, to facilitate Lua botting. *IMPORTANT* Now for the very important part. I broke all of pre-existing NES savestates (as well as TI-83 if anyone cares ^_^). However, there is a fix for this. Any savestate you wish to restore, open it up in any text editor (such as notepad++), at the top you should see entries for frame and lag. Somewhere up there add a new line: IsLag false and save the file. Your savestate will be fixed. Sorry for breaking savestates, I try not to, but I felt this was an important piece of data that was left out of savestates up until now (helpful for TASers at least). Note: this feature was added to all cores, but due to the nature of how savestates were built on these cores, they aren't as flexible to new parameters.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Jungon
He/Him
Player (40)
Just found one bug on this new version, I guess. .... it's written 1.0.4a on the About screen yet.. xP
*Jungon*/*Johnnyz* smilie weirdo =P ^^ o.o @__@ +D
adelikat
He/Him
Yeah, I forgot to update that /o\ Since then I've automated it better so I won't forget. If that is the only bug you can find, then I must be doing something right :)
Apricot
Any
I think the emulator is amost perfect, but there are still something which can be improved. My computer is very old, and it struggles when I use this emulator to play NES games, and the game is very slow. I think "Skip Frame" could be designed better. I would rather skip frames than be slower.
Post subject: BizHawk 1.1.0 Released!
adelikat
He/Him
BizHawk 1.1.0 Released! In this release we have imported bsnes (v87) for a SNES core, as well as Gambatte (r344) for GB and GBC cores! I assume everyone is familiar with bsnes and is accuracy reputation. Gambatte is the most accurate open source GB/GBC core we could find, as evidenced by the GB Accuracy Tests In addition there is a massive list of features and fixes. Too many to summarize in this post, so see the Release Notes
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2284)
adelikat wrote:
Spikestuff wrote:
Question: Will it be updated to support WonderSwan? I hope it does Mednafen isn't very helpful due to small screen size and not completely user friendly. (Sorry to the creator of Mednafen if you are reading this.)
This one may not be likely anytime soon.
Damn, guess I'll try and figure out that WonderSwan emulator then. Must, memorize, buttons.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Post subject: Re: BizHawk 1.1.0 Released!
YoungJ1997lol
He/Him
Player (53)
adelikat wrote:
BizHawk 1.1.0 Released! In this release we have imported bsnes (v87) for a SNES core, as well as Gambatte (r344) for GB and GBC cores! I assume everyone is familiar with bsnes and is accuracy reputation. Gambatte is the most accurate open source GB/GBC core we could find, as evidenced by the GB Accuracy Tests In addition there is a massive list of features and fixes. Too many to summarize in this post, so see the Release Notes
SNES Core? GB/GBC Core? Are you sayan that we can play SNES games on BizHawk now? :D
So yea, how's it going? Currently TASing: Nothing
Post subject: Re: BizHawk 1.1.0 Released!
Editor, Emulator Coder, Site Developer
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
SNES Core? GB/GBC Core? Are you sayan that we can play SNES games on BizHawk now? :D
http://www.amazon.com/Jaffee-Snappy-Answers-Stupid-Questions/dp/0446350567
Experienced player (508)
Moreso does this mean that there is no reason for lsnes now?
adelikat
He/Him
lsnes would still be needed for linux most likely. Currently it is the only alternative for Mac users as well (but sappharad is working on trying to get the bsnes core working on mac). For Windows, I would recommend BizHawk over lsnes. Also, lsnes will allow subframe input, where BizHawk doesn't yet do this (it is on the todo list though!). So in the case of Chrono Trigger glitched, lsnes is the only alternative.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Wow! Gambatte and bsnes cores too? Now I have to download this emulator! Congratulations to the developers for getting that working, as well as the experimental Genesis core. Does motion sensing work in GBHawk (i.e. Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble)?
Skilled player (1706)
The "Journey to Silius" TAS seems to sync (for the first stage, at least) so, thanks for the fix! :) Edit: Desyncs on the second stage, with the previous TAS desync at the first. Oh well, nothings perfect, but at least it beat the first stage. :P
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
I noticed a bug (tested in both BizSNES and BizGB) where, after pressing a controller button, sometimes it remains held down even when I release it. Then again, BizSNES runs 10-15fps for me (half lsnes speed) and BizGB also 10-15fps. So it is probably my fault and not any fault of the emulator.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
Finally a proper GameBoy (Color) emulator that works with TASing! Excellent work! (Sorry VBA...) Is it on the TODO list to update the bsnes core to v91? While most of the changes since v87 are GUI stuff there has been some minor accuracy improvements if I remember correctly.
adelikat
He/Him
FractalFusion wrote:
I noticed a bug (tested in both BizSNES and BizGB) where, after pressing a controller button, sometimes it remains held down even when I release it. Then again, BizSNES runs 10-15fps for me (half lsnes speed) and BizGB also 10-15fps. So it is probably my fault and not any fault of the emulator.
Considering that the GB core gets about 1500fps for me, I'd say yeah, you are doing something wrong! Did you run the prereq installer? One of the things it installs is directx. Without it, bizhawk will still run but uses GDI which is slower (granted, like 10% slower, not 1000000% slower....)
adelikat
He/Him
BizHawk 1.1.0a hotfix Released! If you recorded a movie with the SNES or GB cores yesterday, kill your movie savestates. They are missing the frame count which can cause issues with save/loadstating during a movie! There's also a few other goodies in this release, see the Release Notes
Active player (324)
I have a question about BizHawk. I noticed that it has built-in support for rewinding which works with any system. However, I am wondering if it works the same way as the "Braidulator" script from FCEUX, or if it is optimized or implemented differently in any way. I ask this because there was a problem with the Braidulator script in FCEUX; when recording TASes that got lengthy, such as around 45 minutes long, loading the Braidulator would cause huge slowdowns because the Braidulator script would save a savestate every frame, and each savestate would have a full copy of the movie file in it. Has this issue been addressed in BizHawk? Or will it be necessary to disable Rewind for very long TASes to keep this from happening?
adelikat
He/Him
Rewind has a limit of how many frames back it goes. The limit is rather high though. And it minimizes resources by doing delta compression. Also, the rewind feature is actually intended to be a casual gamer's tool not a TAS tool. But it does come in handy for TASing too.
Tompa
Any
Editor, Expert player (2141)
I'm unable to change the controller settings for Autofire Joypads for the SNES. First an error message, then everything is blank. Having a hotkey option for Autofire (Such as it is for Autohold right now) would be prefered to me anyway. Even though both wouldn't hurt I suppose =).
adelikat
He/Him
Tompa wrote:
I'm unable to change the controller settings for Autofire Joypads for the SNES. First an error message, then everything is blank.
That would be because I neglected to hook them up! (oops)
Expert player (2581)
I asked elsewhere, but it seems that there was not the right place, sorry. Is there any way to assign hotkeys to an Xbox360 controller without causing conflict with the in-game controls? (When you save and load a couple hundred times a day you tend to search for more comfortable ways to do so...) I like to use the D pad to save\load and the right analogue stick to control player 2, but those are "hard coded" to control player's 1 movements. Is there a way to clear these assignments for good? Or am I doomed to use the keyboard from now on?
I am old enough to know better, but not enough to do it.
adelikat
He/Him
I don't have a 360 controller so I can't say for sure here. But I know that the analog (left) pad is hard coded to the ...uhh, non-analog pad, on purpose. That purpose was because vec likes it that way and we never fixed it, but that can be changed. Is this the problem you are experiencing? Or are you saying that the right analog pad (is there one? I only know ps2 style pads!) also hard-coded to the left analog?
When I first heard of BizHawk a few days ago and tried it out it blew me away! It is actually the standard emulator for all the supported systems for me now, and I'm talking here as an old-school gamer and not TASer, and it's all about the Hotkey-mapped Rewind feature :) I got a few questions tho: a) Is it imaginable for BizHawk to support the possibility to switch between cores for a system, for example bsnes core and snes9x core for SNES? The reason I ask is, gamers on less powerful hardware could still take advantage of BizHawk even if they choose a less accurate core. b) Are there plans to improve the input support, for example MultiTap/Super MultiTap for SNES or 6-Button Genesis Gamepads? c) Are there plans to support HLSL shader effects? d) Is it OK to feature BizHawk and its next versions on my website www.emulation-evolved.net ? I know, some of these would be on a very low priority ;) Thanks for this great Emulator -- MK2k
adelikat
He/Him
MK2k wrote:
When I first heard of BizHawk a few days ago and tried it out it blew me away! It is actually the standard emulator for all the supported systems for me now, and I'm talking here as an old-school gamer and not TASer, and it's all about the Hotkey-mapped Rewind feature :)
Thanks! And for regular gaming, I agree the rewind is the coolest feature :) 2nd on my list is the double-click = fulscreen without changing screen resolutions and goofing up my other monitors like every other emulator.
a) Is it imaginable for BizHawk to support the possibility to switch between cores for a system, for example bsnes core and snes9x core for SNES? The reason I ask is, gamers on less powerful hardware could still take advantage of BizHawk even if they choose a less accurate core.
Porting a core is non-trivial. Gambatte and BNES were freebies basically, since they were already built to compile to a core dll (just like bizhawk cores). The time it would take to import snes9x is the same time it would take to port in a GBA emulator, or N64. Surely those should take priority. I also think that speedhacks would be preferrable to poorly coded emulators for supporting slow CPUs.
b) Are there plans to improve the input support, for example MultiTap/Super MultiTap for SNES or 6-Button Genesis Gamepads?
By the time of an official GenesisHawk, there will most definiately be 6-button genesis pads. As for the "plans", my personal mission is to emulate everything ever, with every feature ever, better than every emulator ever. Controllers fall under the category of everything. Now, that goal might have a few impracticalities to it, so I guess the real question is if such features are on a reasonable timline. Right now peripheral support is only for basic buttons, but we will need to overhaul the system to support analog & mouseinput fairly soon. At which point, any odd peripheral would be easy to build.
c) Are there plans to support HLSL shader effects?
The backend for shaders is there I guess, we have a few of them. But nobody currently helping with the project has these things anywhere on their priority list. (Translation: need more coders!)
d) Is it OK to feature BizHawk and its next versions on my website www.emulation-evolved.net ?
Most definitely!
Expert player (2581)
adelikat wrote:
are you saying that the right analog pad is also hard-coded to the left analog?
Yes, the D pad, left analog stick and right analog stick all do the same function, regardless if I assign hotkeys to them; they all controls player 1. Being able to assign those hotkeys to any controller key is the only thing that is keeping me tied to the Snes9x.
I am old enough to know better, but not enough to do it.