Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is a playthrough of The Adventures of Dino Riki, for the NES. It's an autoscrolling shoot 'em up, so the main optimization for speed is in the boss fights. In the main levels, the focus is on dodging enemies and shots rather than killing enemies, aiming for a high entertainment factor.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: FCEUX 2.2.3
  • Beat the game as quickly as possible
  • Take no damage

Comments

This is a (hopefully) much improved play of Dino Riki. The boss fights have been optimized much better in this movie, and I have focused on trying to make the levels as entertaining as possible by showing lots of dodging and running around like crazy, rather than just standing and shooting at enemies. I think that the boomerangs, the weapon I use in this run, provide the fastest possible boss fights. The torch weapon (the next level up) only gives the advantage of letting you have one more shot on screen at a time, but those shots fire in a wide arc, with the direction of each shot not directly under the player's control. And since you can stand just a few pixels in front of the boss, the added projectiles aren't really helpful.

Stage by stage comments

Stage 1:

The first stage starts a little slow, since not a lot of dodging is possible until you pick up a few speed upgrades. At the beginning of the level, I jump around a lot, since the movement speed in the air is a flat 2 pixels per frame (independent of speed upgrades), while you start moving 1 pixel per frame on the ground (which increases with boots). The max speed is 4 pixels per frame, after 3 speed upgrades, which I get up to relatively quickly. Near the middle of the stage, there's a "platforming" section where you have to jump across a lot of lily pads. The game doesn't give you enemies to dodge while you do that, so Riki gets a little bored and starts singing along to the theme music. You should sing with him - he'll even count out your entrance (1...2...1,2,3,4!) In the second jumping section, I use a set of wings to fly over the water, so the game sends some enemies to dodge. (Downside is that you're back to that 2 pixels per frame in the air, so the dodging is a bit slower than usual.) You may notice I bounce off the water once at the beginning and end of the flight with the wings - for some reason if you have wings, the game lets you rejump the frame you hit the water or ground, when it reads you as not in the air anymore, but also not dying in the water yet - more on that later. Finally, this first boss fight I think might actually be frame perfect. I have 5 shots in the air as the boss is coming on screen - they all hit the boss, starting from his first frame of vulnerability. Then I fire a shot every other frame (starting as soon as the first shot hits) and they all hit the boss - the last one hits on the frame the shot comes out. (There's some trickiness to doing consistent damage to the boss, there are a few frames where he overlaps with the terrain in back, but if Riki is up against the terrain in a certain spot, you can still hit the boss - I think it registers the collision with the boss first and counts as a hit, even though the shot spawns in the terrain - somehow it works.) So I think that's as fast as it can go unless there is a way to control the torch weapon better and have 6 shots in the air as the boss is coming in that all manage to hit him.

Stage 2

Not a whole lot to say about this one. There are some new types of enemies, which create some new possibilities for dodging patterns. The hitboxes of the flames from the fire-breathing lion things are pretty weird, which I play around with a little. The boss here is pretty optimized - the issue is that he shoots flames from his mouth that block his shots, so I think just button-mashing through them is just about optimal. I do the same trick of having 5 shots in the air as the boss appears, and then just button mash through the rest. It might be possible to do some fancy dodging of the boss's shots and save a couple of frames, but probably not many.

Stage 3

This level introduces one of the most annoying enemies in the game - there's a ring of black spheres that circle around you and close in on you until you kill them. They're not too hard to kill with a decent weapon, but they're annoying since they simply can't be dodged (AFAIK). The third boss I am more confident is optimized - similarly to boss 2, he shoots flames that you have to shoot through to get to him. He shoots 5 shots in the time it takes to kill him, so only 10 frames are lost to those shots. Again, there's an outside chance that fancy dodging can let you avoid a flame rather than killing it, but that's AT MOST 10 frames that could be saved.

Stage 4

Stage 4 revisits all the environments of the first 3 stages, and makes you fight all the bosses again. 4-1 has more flying going on - this time I went ahead to show off the maximal weirdness of the wings. I actually just jump my way across the second stretch of water, skimming across the water with every jump, which only works if you have wings (even though at the end, I still have the wings!). The 4-1 boss is exactly the same as the first - I'm pretty sure it can't be improved. 4-3 has another brief musical section - this time Riki's tossing the boomerang sound effect into the mix, which kinda sounds like a hi-hat...if you're not picky. The final boss of the game feels like it could be improved. When he overlaps with the terrain in back, there are some frames where I could not figure out how to register a hit on him - this is when I back up and get 5 shots in the air for when he's vulnerable again - I just couldn't find a way around these frames.

Other comments

There are a few points in the run where I fire an extra shot - I was going to edit them out of the movie, but I stupidly planned to do it at the very end, and then changing the first level screwed up the later RNG somehow. So please forgive a stray shot or two, and enjoy!

feos: Judging...
feos: Submission replaced with the one that has the final boss fight. Also trimmed the trailing empty frames.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5419: coolpapa's NES Adventures of Dino Riki in 18:51.90
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
The Spiking is as light as a kite: User movie #37798150783748850 Round 2. I see, but I'm more sceptical this time around... I'll get back whenever I do.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
What's with this run's ending?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
*headdesk* I'm not quite sure what happened - the movie must have somehow gotten back to a savestate right at the beginning of the final boss fight. And I think that in renaming files and moving them around, I lost my recorded savestates for the fight itself. I'm really angry at myself right now. Should I just rerecord and update the file somehow? I have no idea what the procedure is.
Record the final inputs and upload the movie to userfiles. I'll replace the submission.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Whew, ok. Turns out re-doing a boss fight is way easier when you have all your notes about it already. The updated file is here: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/37853505367705836 Thank you for catching that and helping me out.
Any opinions on this run's entertainment value, people? I personally voted Meh, because while the run does cool stuff, it's all the same conceptually throughout the movie, so it gets old fast.
feos wrote:
Any opinions on this run's entertainment value, people?
Seems like the vote totals are answering that question. :) I would appreciate if anyone has thoughts on improvements. At this point I feel like I just don't know how to turn this game into an entertaining TAS. Is this game maybe just not TAS-worthy? Edit: And just to add to my frustration, I figured out a way to save about a minute to a minute-and-a-half (over the whole run) in the autoscrolling parts by dying at the right spot in the level and abusing the game's "halfway point" markers. Not much fun to watch, though.... :)
Patashu
He/Him
coolpapa wrote:
Edit: And just to add to my frustration, I figured out a way to save about a minute to a minute-and-a-half (over the whole run) in the autoscrolling parts by dying at the right spot in the level and abusing the game's "halfway point" markers. Not much fun to watch, though.... :)
Well, if optimizing the game's clear time is now non-trivial, you can aim for Vault... ;)
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Patashu wrote:
Well, if optimizing the game's clear time is now non-trivial, you can aim for Vault... ;)
Good thought, although I'm not sure how non-trivial the route is. It really is just dying as soon as the game marks you as being past a checkpoint. Then it respawns you a little bit ahead of that (1000-ish frames worth of autoscrolling time), and so even with the wasted time for the death animation, you save 500 frames or so. You can in theory do this 9 times over the course of the game, but I'm not sure if you can earn enough lives to take all those deaths. I haven't worked it all out yet. Maybe I'm not done with this game yet....
This run won't go to Moons in its current form it seems. However when you have no limits on speeding this up, death abuse is welcome. But when you apply it, I suggest you this: before you die play pacifist, then when you sacrifice yourself, get mad and kill everything you possibly can. In the next level where you need to die do the same switching. This will add variety and density. Also, with such a huge improvement possibility, I don't think I can accept it to the Vault right now, even though the whole run will have to be redone.
feos wrote:
This run won't go to Moons in its current form it seems. However when you have no limits on speeding this up, death abuse is welcome. But when you apply it, I suggest you this: before you die play pacifist, then when you sacrifice yourself, get mad and kill everything you possibly can. In the next level where you need to die do the same switching. This will add variety and density. Also, with such a huge improvement possibility, I don't think I can accept it to the Vault right now, even though the whole run will have to be redone.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the advice!
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... minty!