Submission Text Full Submission Page
One day comrade, the Mushroom Kingdom, was, thwarted, and Toad... and Toad did not have rubles for vodki, and Mario needed to pa-
Markers are placed for all levels.
Releasing the jump button instantly makes you fall instead of in the original Mario where there's momentum, TL:DR; there's no velocity in Mario 3.
There's no sprite change when you get the mushroom or fire flower, but the physics are the same if you get one of those.
This TAS is technically a no pipes run except for one of the levels where you NEED to take a pipe to continue, because beyond that point, there's a pit.
Again about velocity, starting to run and jumping right after results in a slow jump and not gaining more speed, running and jumping a few seconds after causes a normal length jump, and running for longer causes a jump at the same speed you run at.
Enemy physics are broken in which you can touch the corner of an enemy or obstacle and easily die.

Noxxa: Claiming for judgment.
Noxxa: This movie labels itself as "100%" but doesn't come up with much of a sensible definition - all it does is avoid pipes, except for one that's not optional. That does not make a 100% run, especially not when the movie otherwise is practically minimalist with regard of items, only collecting a mushroom when it's necessary, and never collecting a fire flower, even when both would substantially save time. On that note also, this movie loses a minute and a half to a testrun, in part due to aforementioned lack of pipes and items, but also just being generally slower throughout.
Rejecting for being suboptimal and for bad goal choice.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4139)
I have a testrun of this game from a few years ago, which is about a minute and a half faster than this movie, and plays on the hardest difficulty. It only enters 2 more pipes than your movie (most pipes are not worth the time entering), and that's definitely not where the time difference comes from. The biggest time difference appears to be that you don't collect a fire flower at all in the movie, and only get a mushroom at the part where it's required. This is most obvious in stage 3, where you spend multiple seconds waiting for a Koopa that you can't easily bypass without a mushroom/fire flower. This movie definitely could be improved by a lot of time, even without counting the unnecessary "pipeless" goal.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
donnaken15
He/Him
Mothrayas wrote:
I have a testrun of this game from a few years ago, which is about a minute and a half faster than this movie, and plays on the hardest difficulty. It only enters 2 more pipes than your movie (most pipes are not worth the time entering), and that's definitely not where the time difference comes from. The biggest time difference appears to be that you don't collect a fire flower at all in the movie, and only get a mushroom at the part where it's required. This is most obvious in stage 3, where you spend multiple seconds waiting for a Koopa that you can't easily bypass without a mushroom/fire flower. This movie definitely could be improved by a lot of time, even without counting the unnecessary "pipeless" goal.
Because jumping over enemies in a compressed space/height like 3 blocks tall is impossible.
- Wesley
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4139)
donnaken15 wrote:
Because jumping over enemies in a compressed space/height like 3 blocks tall is impossible.
Which is why you get a mushroom and fire flower. See my testrun, which I linked in my previous post.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
I don't have a copy of this ROM to watch the video. I was just reading Mothrayas' comments, and then I noticed the author's name. donnaken: it looks like you've given up on Yars' Revenge and decided to try a different game, but you're not going to have better luck if you don't study the craft of TASing and listen to the advice of judges and experienced players. There are basic things that you have to do to stand a chance at getting published. You have to play on the hardest difficulty level. You have to really understand the game and pick the best strategy. You're being told that collecting a mushroom and fire flower is faster than staying as small Mario. You have to compare your work to existing movies and make sure that no part of your run is slower. When you have the right strategy, you have to be frame-perfect. If anything is improvable, your run will be rejected.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Just watched Mothrayas' run, and the physics look horrible! Nice graphics. It looks like this could have been a decent game if they could have gotten the movement to match the physics in Mario games.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
It’s one of games which I really wanted to TAS, but abandoned the project. Voting No, as I agree this could be faster…
S3&A [Amy amy%] improvement (with Evil_3D & kaan55) — currently in SPZ2 my TAS channel · If I ever come into your dream, I’ll be riding an eggship :)
GoddessMaria
She/Her
Reviewer, Experienced player (848)
hopper wrote:
You have to play on the hardest difficulty level.
That used to be an absolute mandatory criteria. There are some exceptions to this. While playing on the hardest difficulty level is most preferred, there have been some submissions that played on lower difficulty levels which still have been accepted and published on the site. Main ones that easily come to mind are the Super Star Wars movies and the Spiderman movies made by arandomgameTASer.
Current projects: failing at life
Experienced player (543)
Sometimes, hard difficulty is not optimal or is boring. If it just makes a battle longer with no entertainment, then a lower difficulty is the optimal (even the easiest if possible). It is great to play at the hardest difficulty that changes the stages layout like adding more obstacles. Mega Man X5 and X6 are the best to me in this regard.
I still learn more about English. https://www.youtube.com/user/McBobX100
I wrote:
Working is the best way to achieve goals in speedruning. Hardworking is a pain.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech!