EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3968)
ruadath wrote:
@Memory How is swapping discs hardware tampering? I find arbitrarily resetting the system and corrupting save data to be much more "damaging" to the hardware than swapping discs during gameplay.
save data isn't exactly part of the hardware of the system if that's what you mean. unless it's a system like the Wii where it's stored in the console itself, for PSX and GC (or non disc systems like NES) it would more be damage to the memory cards or in the game cart itself.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Banned User, Former player
ruadath wrote:
I don't understand why disc swapping would be banned when resetting in the middle of saving is.
If it were up to me, both would be banned. But it isn't up to me, nor is it going to ever happen.
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1889)
EZGames69 wrote:
ruadath wrote:
@Memory How is swapping discs hardware tampering? I find arbitrarily resetting the system and corrupting save data to be much more "damaging" to the hardware than swapping discs during gameplay.
save data isn't exactly part of the hardware of the system if that's what you mean. unless it's a system like the Wii where it's stored in the console itself, for PSX and GC (or non disc systems like NES) it would more be damage to the memory cards or in the game cart itself.
That's way too general and I disagree about the degree of damaging. I'm open to include facts with links or elaborated explanations, but not like this. Warp: good.
PhD in TASing 🎓 speedrun enthusiast ❤🚷🔥 white hat hacker ▓ black box tester ░ censorships and rules...
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Not sure if this counts, but... In SMW low-exit-count, we don't allow glitching a cloud into the item box to later glitch out Bowser's AI because the glitch used can also be used to game-end-glitch the run and why wouldn't you just do that instead?
Previous Name: boct1584
Patashu
He/Him
boct1584 wrote:
Not sure if this counts, but... In SMW low-exit-count, we don't allow glitching a cloud into the item box to later glitch out Bowser's AI because the glitch used can also be used to game-end-glitch the run and why wouldn't you just do that instead?
Is the glitch actually banned by tasvideos rules, or is it really just that the TASers who could do this any% route aren't interested because it doesn't make sense from a TASing perspective to use a trick that can trivially be used for ACE instead, whereas in RTA the setups for cloud and ACE are so distinct that they don't overlap?
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
If memory serves, the rules on ACE state that "if a glitch can be used for ACE, the only movies we will accept that use it are game-end-glitch and exhibitions." EDIT: The 11-exit RTA world record (which uses the cloud) is actually about 12 seconds faster than our currently published 11-exit run because getting the cloud would disqualify a run from obsoleting it.
Previous Name: boct1584
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1889)
Hmm... sounds a bit silly. So there is this Star TAS being the 3rd fastest way to beat the game, has 2 awards, but the time savers that would reduce that time can't be used there. Same time savers are not saving enough time to be added in the 1st and 2nd fastest way. I sense some disturb. edit: wait a minute, this isn't the thread I've thought I'm at lol. No, this doesn't count for my list. My list is based on various techniques and tricks that can be employed on various consoles and games. The thing you wrote doesn't use any forbidden technique, it just doesn't comply with the rules in the way as I wrote down there.
PhD in TASing 🎓 speedrun enthusiast ❤🚷🔥 white hat hacker ▓ black box tester ░ censorships and rules...
keylie
He/Him
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2828)
Super Meat Boy is an exemple for how arbitrary framerate and mid-run framerate change can be used. Vsync is turned off using an external program I think. It makes all animations significantly faster. Lowering the framerate is done by holding the Alt key (it doesn't work on Hourglass or libTAS by design), and collisions are only tested at each frame, which makes it possible to go through walls.
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1889)
I'm waiting for the rule being made first so I can list it in the page. Currently arbritrary framerate trick just listed under TODO. But I guess I can add your example already keylie, thanks.
keylie wrote:
Vsync is turned off using an external program I think.
If that's true, my response is "WTF?" I hope it's not any sort of official speedrun record.
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1889)
Warp wrote:
keylie wrote:
If that's true, my response is "WTF?" I hope it's not any sort of official speedrun record.
https://www.speedrun.com/smb#Any_Major_Glitches 1st place The author says
disabling vsync and putting the game in fullscreen mode makes the animations faster
So you can say "WTF?".
MESHUGGAH wrote:
Warp wrote:
keylie wrote:
https://www.speedrun.com/smb#Any_Major_Glitches 1st place The author says
disabling vsync and putting the game in fullscreen mode makes the animations faster
So you can say "WTF?".
But is he using an external program that allows him to enable/disable vsync with the press of a button? That was what I was flabbergasted about.
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1889)
Whatever you are flabbergasting, here's the information you probably wanted. Before you post another thing about this in this thread: no, he probably didn't "using an external program that allows him to enable/disable vsync with the press of a button?" Regarding switching between enabled and disabled vsync with the press of a button, he probably could do it by playing in not fullscreen.
keylie
He/Him
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2828)
Warp wrote:
keylie wrote:
It is considered as a joke category I would say. It is totally unfair as you get significantly better times by having a better computer. Also, you don't need to switch vsync state during the run, just disable it permanently.
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1889)
Okay, I can say I searched for and collected all the possible techniques I wanted to list. That's being said, I'm looking for feedback or any corrections if someone finds on lack of (edit) mentioning a particular technique. The only information relevant TODO for me is check which bizhawk cores has already implemented the subframes/unplug/connectivity -s.
YaLTeR
He/Him
Oh, that's a very interesting page! Regarding a few points: Techniques conflicting with rules/No tampering: - Half-Life DEW: yeah, for that run scripts (.cfg files) were written beforehand as they consist of binds for spamming wait commands and for stopping the individual segments (stop the demo, save the game), etc. - "Source 2 engine games": did you mean Source engine games? There's currently only a handful of games possibly utilizing some parts of Source 2 (e.g. Dota 2). - "Manipulating files to make more optimized to the game engine, shortening game load without changing the process of the gameplay": there's actually a nice example of this: older versions of Source engine games (like Half-Life 2, Portal) were distributed with their game files in .gcf archives, but you could extract the archives into the game directory and the game would then load everything from the filesystem directly. Turns out this was also faster than for the game to look through the .gcf archives so it shortened load times. Didn't affect the RTA timing because loads aren't timed.
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1889)
(Will add your informations to the page later, thanks for the notes!) YaLTeR: - Source 2 engine mentioned because Half-Life is present in both GoldSrc and Source 1, just wanted to list it as another example. Obviously there's a lot more engines with low-level operations and game changing stuffs. I guess I should remove the number 2. - Aah .gcf, well it does much better example than my Doom 3 zip tinkering! I could also mention those "preload" or "precache" files in some goldsrc steam games where it lists the order of loading game files in txt file.