(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is an 8 frame improvement of ending input. Basically from my understanding, if you kick while getting hit at the end, the hurtbox of the kick will come back briefly and deal the last blow on the final boss.
I tried to do the other potential improvments mentioned by MUGG in the game thread, such as the butterfly clip in the last level: Forum/Posts/418653 However as expected, the butterflies would not co-oporate and their movement is extremely RNG based, so it's still practically impossible for now.
while this improvement is very small, I figured it was still worth submitting due to improved accuracy on BizHawk. And as per usual, improved accuracy means longer run time.

feos: Rejecting, as described in this post.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6953: MUGG & EZGames69's GB Trip World in 05:14.26
Judge, Skilled player (1288)
Entertaining as always. I'd like to see this console verified.
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: thunderaxe31 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Skilled player (1638)
I used to watch Rodrigo's stream, when he was attempting to get the WR on this game. Very good game for attempting glitches and optimized movements. I'm not sure why I never thought to watch the TAS back then, but I'm glad that I have now. So...for the original part that MUGG did, GG. Very good run and entertaining. As for the 8 frames by EZ...nice find and I look forward to you finding those other improvements discussed. So...Yes vote.
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
While this movie ends input 9 frames earlier if you count from the first jump, it beats the boss 6 frames later, delaying the ending. Probably a cool find, but we don't officially agree that it's enough to get the previous run obsoleted.
Judge Guidelines on Input Length wrote:
There are two basic opinions as to what kind of TAS ending is better:
  • Minimize input length, the game should reach a stage where it completes itself, no matter how long it takes.
  • Game must be brought to a certain completion state as soon as possible, after which no normal game input can prevent the game from completing, even when this lengthens the movie file length considerably.
The author can tweak their movie's ending as a stylistic choice, even after it was accepted (but before it is published). However, a run looking to obsolete a published run needs to do more than just tweak the movie's ending, as we aim to avoid meaningless publications. A run with real improvements is free to use a different ending than previous movies did.
Here's a submission where a similar thing happened 9 years ago: #3313: adelikat's NES Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 16:26.23 I compared every room of this submission and the current publication, and while screen transitions are inconsistent here, leading to level durations looking slightly different, gameplay is 100% identical in both. This means that all this submission has to offer is a slightly tweaked ending. Even then, if it caused the ending to occur faster, I'd have no problem accepting it, but it just uses a different approach to ending input (admittedly with a new trick). Here's an example of the opposite, when entertainment was considered to be much better in the new run that only tweaks the very end of the movie and makes the game end much sooner: #4364: £e_Nécroyeur's Arcade Magician Lord in 07:17.73 With this submission though, we're only talking about 9 and 6 frames of difference, so no one is going to notice that it ends at a different time, and the difference in entertainment is insignificant (though I personally prefer shorter inputs).
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom