About

• Aims for fastest time for no dia
  • Genre:puzzle
  • Emulator FCEU 0.98.26 also can sync on fceux
  • Manipulate luck
  • Bad Ending

The Game

Rainbow Islands (レインボーアイランド) is a 1987 arcade game developed and published by Taito. The game is subtitled "The Story of Bubble Bobble 2" and is the sequel to Taito's hit game Bubble Bobble from the previous year. It is the second of four arcade games in the Bubble Bobble series (followed by Bubble Symphony and Bubble Memories, but itself has two direct sequels: Parasol Stars and Bubble Bobble Part 2). The game was ported for numerous home computers and game consoles.
The basic premise of the game is that each level is an island which is slowly sinking into the sea. The player must therefore get to the top of each level, by jumping on platforms and making use of the game's most distinctive feature: the ability to produce solid rainbows, which are used both as platforms to stand on, and as a weapon.
One of the features which sets this game apart from many others (and has no doubt been responsible for the game's popularity) is its 'hidden depths'. While initially appearing to be quite a simple game, Rainbow Islands in fact has a vast number of secrets for the player to discover, including secret levels, secret power-ups and riddles. Because of these elements, completing the game properly requires a large amount of dedication from the player. The scoring system also has secrets, which allow vastly higher scores to be achieved than normal.

Summary

This is an American version,this version cannot jump at the start of each stage. Japanese version can jump.I choose this rom for the music I like better.
The item dropping is related to the number of enemies that have been killed.

Look

The time that turn to black screen are different.This is not a regular time. And the time for roll the map to the end can change this randomly. For example,if you finish a map 1 frames faster,that may cost 10 more frames for the black screen. So this is one thing that I consider. And also,I must say thanks for Deign's insperation.

At last

If this is acceptable,I will complete the 100% version soon.

DarkKobold: Claimed.

DarkKobold: The audience reaction to this was generally negative, and I have to agree. The run was extremely repetitive. The Rainbow movement basically allows for all levels to be completed in the exact same fashion, and after a few levels, becomes boring. I am rejecting this for poor game choice.

adelikat: Unrejecting this submission for consideration into the Vault tier

adelikat: Accepting for publication to the Vault
natt: processing

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
x2poet, you are my new favorite person for running this game. Unfortunately, I can't run my emulators now, so I need an encode to watch this. I look forward to seeing this though! Also, 100% would be awesome. Isn't it just one more stage that you unlock by getting the 7 color diamonds in each stage? It wouldn't be a lot longer than this run, and it would be interesting to see the power-up manipulation.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
fceu-0.98.26 I couldn't watch that for all 14:52.53. I mean the game is not for me. No, because of that game's monotony.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Banned User, Player (142)
feos wrote:
fceu-0.98.26
Fine, I'll encode in HD
[18:51] <scrimpy> Oh, nothing [18:51] <mmarks> oh [18:51] <Nach> I think scrimpy is just jealous of you mmarks
Skilled player (1469)
mklip2001 wrote:
Also, 100% would be awesome. Isn't it just one more stage that you unlock by getting the 7 color diamonds in each stage? It wouldn't be a lot longer than this run, and it would be interesting to see the power-up manipulation.
Yes,it is in my planation.That will cost about 19 minutes.
mmarks wrote:
feos wrote:
fceu-0.98.26
Fine, I'll encode in HD
I have converted it to fm2.
Do the work.
What a coincidence, I was just about to start TASing the Arcade version of Rainbow Islands (and play the hidden levels too), and you come out with this ) I can't watch it right now, but I'll make sure to watch it later because this is one of my favourite games of all times.
Player (70)
Can't you end the movie a bit earlier? I mean.. As soon as you land the last hit on the final boss, you could stop the movie. However, this version of the movie is good for the encoders I suppose? The outcome of the movie won't change though.
Skilled player (1469)
Noob Irdoh wrote:
What a coincidence, I was just about to start TASing the Arcade version of Rainbow Islands (and play the hidden levels too), and you come out with this :)
I am in winter vacation now,so I have a lot of time to TAS.My computer is an old mechine,it cannot work for playing any good games.So this is the only one thing that I entertain.
Highness wrote:
Can't you end the movie a bit earlier? I mean.. As soon as you land the last hit on the final boss, you could stop the movie. However, this version of the movie is good for the encoders I suppose?
That will not appear the game over? Is it necessary to show "the end" or "game over" for finishing a movie? Chip & Dale 1 is the right example.
Do the work.
I remember how this game used to be ridiculously hard after a while... well done! But something is troubling me, I've alway thought that you should avoided the "double rainbow item" and just get the "fast-spawning rainbow item"(someking of orange jar) to jump faster.
Skilled player (1469)
There is no difference for jumping between using the double pot or not.Only some walls which I cannot go through it may cost 3 frames for dropping on the rainbow.That is the same by not use the double rainbow without the flying book. Somewhere just like stage 4,double pot can make walking smoothly.And it has widely influence for the rainbow's dropping in boss battle. Without the flying book and the fairy,I think double pot is necessary.
Do the work.
Skilled player (1469)
I don't know why the last 3 bosses disappeared though it is not any problem to complete it.
Do the work.
I never realized how utterly triptastic this game is. Voting yes for Darius. And for my brain. Let me know if you find it. I am looking forward both to a 100% run, and to the submission text for said 100% run.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I managed to watch this yesterday after all. Unfortunately, this wasn't nearly as much fun as I hoped. When you can jump up the rainbows that quickly (I don't remember what makes you bounce on a rainbow instead of breaking it), you end up treating most levels the same without caring about level structure. In addition, the boss fights were amazingly fast too, but then they don't get to show off any of their attacks. At the speed you complete the stages, the cutscenes actually take a lot of time in proportion. All in all, this run is much more monotonous than I'd hoped. I'm sorry, but this any% speedrun removed most of what I found fun about playing the game: the enemy dodging while carefully building platforms. I still found this enjoyable enough to vote Meh. I think a 100% run would be much more interesting with careful bonus management. Random question: What's the theme for Stage 6 supposed to be? I vaguely recall a Super NES game with that look, but I don't know what it's called.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Here's a rough encode for those who can't watch in an emulator. I mostly just made it to play with my new rig and couldn't be arsed to make a logo. http://radiokj.com/movies/rainbowislands-x2poet-145253.html
Post subject: youtube and lossless encode
Banned User
Skilled player (1469)
mklip2001 wrote:
I'm sorry, but this any% speedrun removed most of what I found fun about playing the game: the enemy dodging while carefully building platforms. I still found this enjoyable enough to vote Meh. I think a 100% run would be much more interesting with careful bonus management. Random question: What's the theme for Stage 6 supposed to be? I vaguely recall a Super NES game with that look, but I don't know what it's called.
100% run would be not much more entertainment than this.Only the luck that drop the diamond that would be controled.And the time find RAINBOW will appear a vision of system error. The stage 6,boss's name is Sayo Chan(サヨちゃん).I hope I can use Japanese languege to show this.The game is called "KiKi KaiKai"(奇奇怪界) presented by TAITO in 1986. Designer Hisaya Yabusaki(久弥薮崎). It is an arcade game supported on MAME.I don't know whether it is released on SNES.
Do the work.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Well played, but unfortunately this game is crappy game design that they attempt to disguise with a game mechanic. Unfortunately it doesn't work. At least the Wiimake looks prettier. Outside of the Arkanoid Stage 5, it really wasn't that impressive of a game. Voting NO on game choice.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
X2poet wrote:
mmarks wrote:
feos wrote:
fceu-0.98.26
Fine, I'll encode in HD
I have converted it to fm2.
ahhhgg, I have than start again
[18:51] <scrimpy> Oh, nothing [18:51] <mmarks> oh [18:51] <Nach> I think scrimpy is just jealous of you mmarks
Cute game, a bit of monotony in gameplay but the design of the levels made it fun and it's not THAT long so it's OK. I'd vote Yes.
Skilled player (1636)
I thought it was pretty boring, voted no. Also, what is "No Dia?"
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
It bores me and I enjoy at a time. But I will vote No, sorry
Expert player (2581)
I kinda liked your run, but I think you should try the arcade version as it is way better. I'm voting Meh.
DarkKobold wrote:
Also, what is "No Dia?"
No Diamonds, maybe?
I am old enough to know better, but not enough to do it.
Skilled player (1469)
In the cutscene,There shows a BIG DIAMOND.The Japanese version called it BIG DIA.So I was used to calling it DIA.Sorry,I will edit it.
Dooty wrote:
I kinda liked your run, but I think you should try the arcade version as it is way better. I'm voting Meh.
DarkKobold wrote:
Also, what is "No Dia?"
No Diamonds, maybe?
I prefer FCEU to FBA,and also prefer fc version to arcade version. The movement is slower than this one,but the cutscene is short.
Do the work.
No Diamond??!!!! Dammit, again I will have than start again
Skilled player (1705)
I thought this run was ok. The game may not be great, but at least it wasn't horrible. I voted yes.