Submission Text Full Submission Page
Banishing Racer is a quirky Game Boy platformer released in 1991 by Jaleco. I don't know the story, but my guess is you're a broken car in the junkyard who gets put back into shape by some angel, and then you go across the world to celebrate. I don't know.
  • Uses VBA rerecording v22
  • Does stuff

Tricks and other crap

• one hit kills you aaaggh
  • When you press B you get a small boost, but you can't get boosts consequitevly. you have to autofire B in order to retain most of your boost speed.
  • In the autoscroller levels, when you reach the end, it's best to be as far left as possible to avoid your car moving to the left.
I'll add more stuff here later.
Suggested Screenshot [dead link removed]

DarkKobold: I'll judge this.

DarkKobold: This game makes for a pretty bland TAS. This isn't the authors fault, I doubt much could have been done to increase the fun factor. Coupled with many negative comments, and very few positive comments, thus I'm rejecting this.
NitroGenesis: Cancelling. There are some big improvements. But because of the vault, I'll make a new one.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3121: NitroGenesis's GB Banishing Racer in 14:16.20
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4139)
Voting meh. Game choice isn't good imo: the action varies between slow and even slower, and overall the run is just very dull to watch.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Editor
The camera moves at three seconds per screen. It's slow.
Lex
What about those who have actually played this game? I found this run more entertaining than either http://tasvideos.org/1436M.html or http://tasvideos.org/1403M.html (both also games I haven't played).
Skilled player (1637)
Had to vote meh, the game is pretty slow and bland, and I couldn't make it past the five minute mark.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Editor, Experienced player (894)
The concept of a renegade anthropomorphic automobile driving around and running over everything is always interesting, and the game's poignant music, with moods ranging from sickly sweet to ominous, and with levels based on real-world locations, makes it seem like a memorable road trip... (great, I don't have to visit America now after seeing this run!) The platforming sections had some nice tricks in them, and mostly made up for the relative slowness of the auto-scroller sections. I think there was enough action here to warrant at least one watching of the run, so here's a small yes vote.
Editor, Experienced player (852)
Sincerly, I don't know how you managed to use 6217 rerecords on this run. To my eyes, all you do is go right and jump. No other route, no glitch, no special technique... The action is slow. Very few of this run made it look tool-assisted. I wasn't entertained. No vote.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I found this fairly amusing, though nothing too special. I'm a bit concerned about the optimality of the boosts though. You mention that you used autofire to get the boosting right; did you manage to figure out how many frames of cooldown there are between boosts? Was there a memory address for this? Also, why did you get stuck in the corner in 5-1? It seemed like a speed-entertainment tradeoff to me, because it was sort of funny. At this point, I'd like to hear a little more about the technical aspects of this run before I vote. EDIT: Alright, I'll vote Yes. Thanks for the comments.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
To mklip2001 The boost in this game operates on sort of a fuel mechanic. When you are standing still you have 100 boost fuel, when you boost, it decreases rapidly. If you autofire, the fuel will decrease slower and slower. The boost will last the same time, but you keep most of your speed from the last boost end time. Getting stuck in the corner? I had to wait for an enemy to move (One hit kills you), so I decided that that was the funniest way to wait.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
What a quirky game. While it's a bit on the slow side, it still had enough in it for me to vote yes.
Player (208)
Unfortunately there is nothing particularly notable when watching this game. As far as I can tell, you are just optimizing boosts, moving to the right, and avoiding enemies. My first thought was to compare it with this rejected submission: http://tasvideos.org/2571S.html I have not watched the runs Lex posted for comparison though. My vote on this is Meh leaning towards No. I think the site has a precedent of rejecting submissions with no particularly notable TAS qualities, but some have slipped through in the past. This is the case where we question whether every game should have a run. Is there much worth watching for an average viewer? No not particularly. Is there much worth watching for someone who has played the game? Maybe to a small extent.
Lex
Now that I've gone back and watched both TASes back to back (well, for as long as I could stand; ~10 minutes for the Rayman TAS), I think the GBC Rayman TAS is much more interesting and entertaining than this. I think it's just the bad music and low visibility I didn't like in GBC Rayman. The TAS is quite technically sound. Some parts of this Banishing Racer TAS seemed unoptimized to my haven't-played-this-game eye. There were times when you delayed boosting for no apparent reason, like at 1:25. It seemed like you could have boosted much earlier and then jumped mid-boost. Boosting didn't seem to affect when you could jump anywhere else, so why delay there? Also, in the autoscrolling flying level with spikes, you played really lazily. Sometimes you just let the screen push you instead of doing anything, for example. It seemed like there was a lot more cool-timing and close-call stuff you could have done with the spikes. Actually, that seems to hold true throughout the whole run. You stayed in the same spot for a really long time in the first flying section and lazily killed the birds as they flew by instead of playing with them. That seemed really weak to me. I think if played with more fervor, a TAS of this game could look really cool.
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
at first I found it funny but then I noticed there really is nothing that tells me "TAS", it looks like a human could accomplish a very similar run… voted no, bad game choice
NitroGenesis
He/Him
To Lex at 1:25, I could not boost or else I would have to jump and bounce of the enemy. This would kill me.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, bitter!
NitroGenesis
He/Him
I promise my next one will be better ;)
YoungJ1997lol wrote: