Submission Text Full Submission Page
For those who are not familiar with this game. You controll a guy, who kills penguins and other enemies with boomerangs and stone-axes and drives skateboard in snow :), throught 20 levels, on each fourth level is a boss.
Some tricks in this run:
Falling over a stone cost 3 enery-points - a good time saver, because in the end of each level the energy-points are counted. On vertikal levels the guy often jumps with a normal jump to low, but with a high-jump (Down+A) he jumps to high, but you can stop the jumping animation by throwing a boomerang or a stone-axe. You can exactly land on the next platform.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3150: TASeditor's SNES Super Adventure Island in 17:11.13
Editor, Skilled player (1505)
Please wait for my youtube encoding [Edit]: Youtube Upload Link to video
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
In the canceled run by guacho80 he grabbed the first level's orb at frame 3565. You grab it at about frame 3660. That is a 97 frame improvement. Explanation?
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
NitroGenesis wrote:
In the canceled run by guacho80 he grabbed the first level's orb at frame 3565. You grab it at about frame 3660. That is a 97 frame improvement. Explanation?
3660 - 3565 = 97? Maybe I'm just stupid...
I'm not a girl, not yet a woman.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
lol, 95. I feel stupid now. maybe cuz I am
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Ain't it 35? Or am I missing some sarcasm here and/or not understanding frame rules?
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Not understanding frame rules, lol
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
speed is lower without skateboard, but falling over a stone costs 3 energy points = 3*20 frames less in the levelend counting thing
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
I was entertained, yes vote. Quick question: Why did you throw hammers down into the flames against the last boss? Now, if I can only find somewhere to learn about frame rules so I don't have to make an ass out of myself...
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Edmund: I think the hammers on the last boss were just to demonstrate the "tink" sound of hitting the invulnerable boss. That boss isn't random, so the hammers weren't luck manipulation, I think. TASeditor: Unfortunately, if you lose 95 frames from slower movement, gaining 60 frames on the score counting isn't worth it. Unless there's something else I'm missing? Anyway, pretty nice job with this. I played this game, and it's definitely easier than the NES Adventure Island games, but I hate the music of this game. There's also a lot less variety in this game. If I learned how to make TASes, I would run this game. ---- Here are some level comments I thought might help: 1-1: You seem like you run up a hill briefly. Doesn't this slow you down? 1-2: You look like you create lag at the last waterfall by shooting boomerangs. 2-1: This level is nice. Good job killing a flying bird with a boomerang behind you. 2-3: It might have been more interesting to shoot vertically and try to kill two enemies with one shot in the beginning. Letting the enemy go looked bad. 3-1: That was a fun climb! If only more levels were like this... 3-3: The exit from the mine cart seems like it should be faster... that looks pretty good though. 3-Boss: Nice job getting inside the dragon! I didn't know that was possible! 4-2: Even better than 3-1! It was funny to see you hit the rocks. 4-3: You could definitely kill the enemies you missed if you did a vertical shot. I'm pretty sure it's possible underwater (hopefully it doesn't produce lag). You grabbed too much fruit in this stage. 4-Boss: Nice strategy! 5-2: Nice job slightly falling into the spike pits. 5-3: Pretty nice! 5-Boss: Nice job with the first form! For the second form, though, it looks like you should've been able to kill it two jumps sooner if you jump across the pit as it leaps. ---- Thanks for the run and the encode! I'm not yet sure what to vote, though, since this game is pretty slow. It does get better near the end.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
mklip2001 wrote:
Edmund: I think the hammers on the last boss were just to demonstrate the "tink" sound of hitting the invulnerable boss. That boss isn't random, so the hammers weren't luck manipulation, I think.
No wonder it didn't make any sense to me, I watched it without sound...
Lex
I also noticed the hill-running at 0:36 in the encode. Is there some penalty for jumping up that hill instead of being slowed by it? I stopped the video after the first level to see what your response on that is.
Expert player (2582)
Oh man, your last boss fight was horrible, watch guacho80's boss fight to know what I mean. I'll refrain from voting until you improve it. edit: I'm sorry, I know that I was rude to say that your boss battle was horrible, but you can improve it, just manipulate the boss better.
I am old enough to know better, but not enough to do it.
Another Tiny Toon Adventures case? Where's x2poet? Or will be Dooty this time? Just kidding, folks.
Skilled player (1470)
I'm here.I'll watch this. TASeditor,I have been regarding it as a robot. Do you mean I will improve this one,EOTB? Get desync at first,what emulator used? Edit:I played it in 1.43,also a slow paced game. This one cannot play in 1.43,and I download 1.53,getting desync. Then I downloaded 1.51,it also cannot read. Is it recorded in 1.52? The submission text did not make me convenient for watching,and it has nothing about every stages' management.I will vote no on this but I really like Adventure Island. This game is called "SUPER" Advanture Island,it's only because of SUPER Nintendo,but the character is not SUPER Hudson or Takahashi Meijin,and NES version has faster pace. I experieced it,and jumping can make it accelarate.So,I don't want to vote this one.I think improvement is needed,but It's not me,because I want to complete my plans soon.
Do the work.
I give bonus amusement points for the shoryuken on the skeleton.
X2poet wrote:
Do you mean I will improve this one,EOTB?
Not exactly. I just felt, by the comments, that this case is similar to Tiny Toons Adventures where there was improvements to be made and you did it. In this case it could be TASeditor, but if he is not going to do it, maybe another taser could give it a shot.
Skilled player (1470)
Eye Of The Beholder wrote:
X2poet wrote:
Not exactly. I just felt, by the comments, that this case is similar to Tiny Toons Adventures where there was improvements to be made and you did it. In this case it could be TASeditor, but if he is not going to do it, maybe another taser could give it a shot.
No it's not similar.Yunshui is my friend.He only care about whether the game's movie could be published but not who did. So he supported me improve it. I don't like obseleting others' run except for my favorite games.And if TASeditor want my improvement,I would be glad to accept this project.
Do the work.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
X2poet wrote:
Eye Of The Beholder wrote:
X2poet wrote:
No it's not similar.Yunshui is my friend.He only care about whether the game's movie could be published but not who did. So he supported me improve it. I don't like obseleting others' run except for my favorite games.And if TASeditor want my improvement,I would be glad to accept this project.
Very honorable, x2poet. I think this information should probably be placed in the thread for Tiny Toons Adventures, if it isn't there already. It may make your intentions clearer. As for this run, TASEditor, do you think you could update the final boss fight to use fewer phases? I think that's the biggest concern I have.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Moderator, Senior Ambassador, Experienced player (898)
I also ended up voting Meh due to the slower boss battle at the end. The run as a whole was good but it looks like there's still some room for improvements here. Good luck! A.C. ******
I was laid off in May 2023 and could use support via Patreon or onetime donations as I work on TASBot Re: and TASBot HD. I'm dwangoAC, part of the senior staff of TASVideos as the Senior Ambassador and BDFL of the TASBot community; I post TAS content on YouTube.com/dwangoAC based on livestreams from Twitch.tv/dwangoAC.
Former player
Gonna vote meh, I don't find anything wrong with the TAS, but the game scrolls too slowly. It's not like other adventure island games where you could gain momentum using the skateboard. Was kinda boring to watch, literally put me to sleep last night.
I think.....therefore I am not Barry Burton
Yayyyyyy! My Internet works after 3 weeks again. I will start improve my mistakes in the run, after I had watched guachos80's run. I tried to improve the last boss, but didn't knew how I should do it. So I start a whole new run, to save about 1-5 seconds.
Lex
By the looks of this thread, you can save a lot more than that. What are you secretly denying? I'm genuinely interested.
Skilled player (1470)
TASeditor wrote:
Yayyyyyy! My Internet works after 3 weeks again. I will start improve my mistakes in the run, after I had watched guachos80's run. I tried to improve the last boss, but didn't knew how I should do it. So I start a whole new run, to save about 1-5 seconds.
You can save more if you take it careful. Some memory address you must find. SPEED ~~.In the real play,it looks like jumping can acceralate. So with this data,you can do experiment in frame advance. And try to find some glitches that can go through some troubles. Compared with guachos80's run,you can save more time. I supported you do this improvement,I give a yes for your comments.
Do the work.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... 'twas dry