(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
Contra: Hard Corps is the only game of the Contra series released on the Genesis / Mega Drive console. In this game, you get to choose between four characters, each with different abilities and weapons.
This game has four completely different final stages, each with a different ending, depending on the choices you make earlier.
The Japanese version was chosen because, for some reason, it gives the players a health bar, allowing them to take some damage without dying.
I took 4 months to do this run. And I have finished it now! And you will have fun in this run.
This time I do the 2 players run. Because someone want to watch 2 players run. And I want to do this.
And one of the players is Fang, too. Because of his strongest D weapon. And the other player, I choose Browny. He was chosen in [97] Genesis Contra: Hard Corps "1 player" by Gigafrost in 15:50.70. Because his C weapon is the 2nd strong weapon of all 4 players weapons.
But this run is slower than one player run.([1755] Genesis Contra: Hard Corps "best ending" by Soig in 17:36.97) It is because that the power of weapons in 2P Mode is weaker than 1P Mode. What a pity.
Emulator used: Gens 11b.

Truncated: Claimed!
feos: Delivered encode!

Truncated: This is a sucky decision to have to make, but this movie will not be published. Sucky, because it's a well-made movie. We have three published movies of this game, and all of them use Fang. This movie does not offer that much new content. It uses Fang, and gets the same ending as the published "Best ending" movie, with the only difference being Browny and slightly slower boss fights.
I am not in a position to tell anyone which movies to make, but two-player movies with any combination excluding Fang and getting any ending except the best ending (including the other published "Worst ending") would have a good chance of getting published.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
I enjoyed this immensely. Getting to see a different route than the 1P run was very nice as well. A few questions, though. * While you're fighting the boss after the boat ride, during his second form, it looks as if you stop firing well before he becomes invulnerable to transform into his third form, and again right before he's destroyed. Does he become invulnerable that early? * Any particular reason you don't kill everything in sight? Games like this look a lot better when your characters are mass murderers, IMO. Those two criticisms aren't enough that I won't vote Yes, however. Because of the different route, I would say that this should be published alongside the 1P run instead of obsoleting it, or if something MUST be obsoleted, the Secret Ending run should be the one.
Previous Name: boct1584
Soig
He/Him
Skilled player (1477)
boct1584 wrote:
* While you're fighting the boss after the boat ride, during his second form, it looks as if you stop firing well before he becomes invulnerable to transform into his third form, and again right before he's destroyed. Does he become invulnerable that early? * Any particular reason you don't kill everything in sight? Games like this look a lot better when your characters are mass murderers, IMO.
No.1: When I stop fighting the boss during his 2nd form, he is dying in fact. If I go on fighting him, it is no use. So I stop fighting. No.2: I'll pay attention to it next time.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Encoding. Soig, can you try a dual-run for Contra+SuperContra?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
I'm gonna vote meh. While the run is nice, it didn't really stand out too much. It felt like the best ending run with Browny stamped on. Using Fang is my main problem, actually. There's too much of him in the runs published. I think it would be better to show off what either Ray or Sheena can do instead.
Jungon
He/Him
Player (40)
I voted Yes but I double Satoryu's opinion .. wanna see a Ray and Sheena run \o/ You don't wanna see a sadder electrode face, right.. xP
*Jungon*/*Johnnyz* smilie weirdo =P ^^ o.o @__@ +D
Soig
He/Him
Skilled player (1477)
feos wrote:
Soig, can you try a dual-run for Contra+SuperContra?
Sorry, I don't want to do it. Because I don't know how to run 2 games at the same time.
Jungon wrote:
I voted Yes but I double Satoryu's opinion .. wanna see a Ray and Sheena run \o/ You don't wanna see a sadder electrode face, right.. xP
Yeah, I really want to see this run. But I wanna try other games now. So maybe there will be some people to do Ray and Sheena run in future.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Suggested screenshot
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Skilled player (1470)
陈立杰? Good target. I like multiplayer run better. I like this one.I don't care whether it is longer than 1p-run. Because I feel it is shorter. I want to see the co-op but not only pure speed. Yes
Do the work.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
I would like some more opinions on this. In my opinion, it's a very well made run. However, this game has 4 different standard endings, and 4 different playable characters. This run gets the same ending as the 1-player run and uses the same character, with Browny added in. Perhaps a different route and two different characters would have been better?
I'm a bit tired, so I only watched the first third or so of the run...here's my thoughts, based on that: * There was minimal playing around during waiting times. 2P runs are usually a great opportunity to have interaction between the two players, but here they mostly just did the same action in opposite directions. * We have enough Fang action already. There's no need to pick the optimal characters, especially since the 2P run can't match the 1P run for speed anyway due to the weapon damage reduction. Two new characters is preferable. * In general, when there's multiple runs of a game on the site, each one should offer as distinct of an experience as possible. That should extend to taking different routes and achieving different endings. Voting meh; what I saw looked technically proficient but not very novel.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Enjoyable. Voting yes. Well executed and fun enough.
Has never colored a dinosaur.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Nice work with this run, Soig! However, I'm not sure what to say about this run exactly. I agree with Satoryu in that this run offers less variety than I was hoping for. The playing was a little subpar, but this is more entertaining than the current 1p best ending run. My suggestion would be to publish this and obsolete the 1p best ending run. After all, if you're going to go for a longer ending, you're already not aiming for fastest time, so a run which accomplishes more secondary objectives (entertainment, variety, etc.) should be preferred.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... want more!