Submission Text Full Submission Page
Heheh, it's me again :P
This is an improvement of my last run, saved 23980 frames (~400 seconds), and ingame-timer now is 00:14:25.40
Thank to X-Ray Scope, the old route is obsoleted, and the new route has come (which is beginning after Varia Suit)
Preview: [dead link removed]
Enjoy :3
Further improvement:
  • "This means that it is also possible to surpass a speed of 7.0 pixels/frame; holding dash for only one frame while sparking into slopes allows you to keep the speed of the spark, up to a maximum of 16 pixels/frame iirc."
  • Thank Kriole for this suggestion :D I will apply it on my further run of this hack!
Suggested screenshot: (Frame 40157)
Special thanks:
  • Tub: For some reason :D:D:D
  • es2xx: for demonstrating the routes :) this can't be done without seeing your run!
Thanks again:
  • SB: for creating this hack (thank mklip2001 for show me his name :)
  • Super Metroid's team: for releasing the Super Metroid Tricks page
  • TASvideos.org: for creating a place for me to submit this run :)
  • Audiences: for watching this run :D

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3204: Hoandjzj's SNES Metroid Super ZeroMission in 24:55.73
Active player (276)
Nice improvement. Yes vote from me.
Experienced player (859)
Hello Hoandjzj! Solid and entertaining run as always, well done indeed. Apparently the speedbooster works the same way in this game as it does in redesign. This means that it is also possible to surpass a speed of 7.0 pixels/frame; holding dash for only one frame while sparking into slopes allows you to keep the speed of the spark, up to a maximum of 16 pixels/frame iirc. (Saturn used this to no end in his Redesign any%). This should save some time should you choose to ever do a new run. Sorry for not mentioning this earlier, but I thought the creator would have somehow fixed this bug.
Tub
You've skipped the charge beam. Wow. Good to see that the route turned out to be faster with your additions. Could you avoid the detour for Varia by picking up more e-tanks? Getting the tank in brinstar instead of the one near varia would leave you with two, getting the one below the lava makes three on your way back. You'll need at least one more for the lava runs, probably two considering all the heated rooms, and I can't even remember one tank that could be aquired without a larger detour. Have you looked into this already? The grapple-shortcut out of the Speed Booster room isn't possible in the other direction? Too bad that almost all of the bosses are skipped this time. They'd make the run more interesting. I'll be looking over the route again when I have more time. It'll be a yes vote in any case.
m00
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
Kriole wrote:
Apparently the speedbooster works the same way in this game as it does in redesign. This means that it is also possible to surpass a speed of 7.0 pixels/frame; holding dash for only one frame while sparking into slopes allows you to keep the speed of the spark, up to a maximum of 16 pixels/frame iirc. (Saturn used this to no end in his Redesign any%). This should save some time should you choose to ever do a new run. Sorry for not mentioning this earlier, but I thought the creator would have somehow fixed this bug.
I wish you had mentioned this earlier!!! :D Yeah, I tried after read you comment, and find that really faster :D:D:D that means for each "re-run after dash" I lose 4~5 frames, or even more depends on the distance! My bad :P:P:P But I was tired from TASing all days :P (improving this o.O) I hope there will be someone will improve this :D
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
Tub wrote:
Could you avoid the detour for Varia by picking up more e-tanks? Getting the tank in brinstar instead of the one near varia would leave you with two, getting the one below the lava makes three on your way back. You'll need at least one more for the lava runs, probably two considering all the heated rooms, and I can't even remember one tank that could be aquired without a larger detour. Have you looked into this already?
That means I have to acquire so many E-Tanks :D and have the hell-run in Norfair (I doubt if I can survive :|) let's check the map... oh well, on the way to 1st Power Bomb, there are 3 E-Recharges, but on the way back, there's none! Varia Suit half the damage I take, so without it I will need 3 more E-Tanks, and refill it at least 2 in Norfair XD this is difficult for me!
Tub wrote:
The grapple-shortcut out of the Speed Booster room isn't possible in the other direction?
No, the grapple is possible but the bomb-block is not, it can only be destroyed from the left (bomb-block connected with solid-block :)
Tub wrote:
Too bad that almost all of the bosses are skipped this time. They'd make the run more interesting.
:D yeah the bosses are not useful in this hack!!!
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
Kriole is so awesome :D he analyses my run and immediately solves the problem :D:D:D Then, should I cancel this or... wait for more ideas ;)
Great run again, Hoandjzj! Congratulations! Well, it seems you want to go for another one... I think this game is too new, and maybe there's somethings to be found. Did Kriole give you any other ideas or is it just the higher speed stuff? If you see the run can be improved even more, maybe it would be better to wait for a couple of weeks and see if anybody else have some ideas. It could help if you post some wips and wait for some response while going through the run, so if any idea happens while you are speedrunning, you don't need to redo the entire run. While you wait, you could give another game a shot, maybe one that it's already known... anyway, that's up to you to choose. Btw, it's amazing how you can speedrun a game that fast. I wish i had this talent to speedrun, but i'm too lazy to even try.
Tub
Oh, I forgot that e-tanks only give 50E in this hack, not 100. Anyway, I reviewed the E-tanks that can be acquired without SB/PB, and I couldn't find any in Chozodia or western norfair. If you have to backtrack to Brinstar anyway, you may as well grab Varia. But even without a suitless lava run and boss fights, this run is great!
m00
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
Eye Of The Beholder wrote:
Great run again, Hoandjzj! Congratulations! Well, it seems you want to go for another one... I think this game is too new, and maybe there's somethings to be found. Did Kriole give you any other ideas or is it just the higher speed stuff? If you see the run can be improved even more, maybe it would be better to wait for a couple of weeks and see if anybody else have some ideas. It could help if you post some wips and wait for some response while going through the run, so if any idea happens while you are speedrunning, you don't need to redo the entire run. While you wait, you could give another game a shot, maybe one that it's already known... anyway, that's up to you to choose. Btw, it's amazing how you can speedrun a game that fast. I wish i had this talent to speedrun, but i'm too lazy to even try.
The higher speed that Kriole mentioned, I've not known it yet :P but I think it alone will improve the run by few seconds :D Yeah, nothing can be perfect at the 1st try (this is the 2nd try :P) and this is a new game and many things haven't found out yet, especially the route! Is there any faster route?!
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
@Kingfisher: I don't know why I can't PM you, the message hasn't been sent! If you want the patched rom, I posted the link on the description of my video at Youtube :)
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Hoandjzj: Very impressive! You TAS quite quickly. I wouldn't worry right now about fixing up the speed booster parts right away... would it be possible to hex-edit in improvements with the speed booster? Also, this is an amazing hack. The gameplay is just good, and it really has similar depth to the original game. I'd say that, by far, this is the best SM hack I've seen. In fact, from seeing how different your two runs have been, I'd say the hack has enough variety to make a 100% items run interesting and publishable alongside an any% run as well! Oh, and by the way, according to the link provided for the hack, the author of the hack is SB.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
jaysmad
Other
Experienced player (834)
I must say, this hack looks very cool. Probably the only one i liked, so far. I just watched the tube but it seems very well done. Nice work Hoandjzj!! Yes vote!
Active player (432)
I voted no. Sorry, I found this hack to be pretty boring compared with your previous hack.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
AngerFist wrote:
I voted no. Sorry, I found this hack to be pretty boring compared with your previous hack.
:D Yeah those bosses in this hack seem to be useless, but put that aside, this hack is pretty awesome ^^ (No boss fights seem to be less entertainment ^^! but that make the run quickly!)
I loved it! Way faster then the 100%, but in a non boring way. The fact you had notations popping up was DEFINITELY a bonus! It made things a lot more clear as to what you were doing, and that's an additional bonus for those who are not as familiar with Super Metroid in general, let alone this phenomenal hack. Yes Vote! Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Active player (405)
Abstained from voting. I think if I'd played this hack before and knew the layout, this run might be more entertaining, but because I don't know it, it's impossible for me to follow. I don't know what you're doing most of the time and it's hard for me to tell when you're following the correct route and when you're taking clever shortcuts.
When he's taking the correct route: basically never. The game goes off the rails as soon as he uses the morph trick to go through one of the Wrecked Ship robots and doesn't ever recover. In fact it'd be amusing to catalog all of the sequence breaks, since there's so bloody many of them.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
I take back my words :P the method Kriole showed me will improve the run so much!!! It's really speed up XD Thanks again, Kriole! And Cpadolf is improving this any% run here Due to these I should cancel this submission XD (and make something better!!!)
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... juicy!