Submission Text Full Submission Page
(Note to reader: I am French Canadian, therefore English is my second language)
Hi everyone,
My 1st submission and I can tell you that I am already working on something else!
I decided to run this game because it's a childhood favorite and I always wanted to see how fast you can beat it. I picked Jill cause she is my favorite character, I might do Chris TAS soon.
There isn't much to say really so I'll just go into some small details.
-Pause Canceling-
You can slash a zombie, pause and unpause, then the zombie will be stuck in an animation frame where it can't attack you, your 3d model therefore gets a reset, so you can run by it and avoid getting hit. Same goes for when I shoot a grenade round and pause/unpause.
New tricks found: Skipping the zombie guarding the Tiger Statue. (Can also be done real-time)
Pushing the zombie in the basement and run pass it.
Disposing of Black Tiger webs über-fast without getting hit. (Can't be done real-time)
For now it's all I can think of. This game got runned a lot throughout the years so finding new tricks for it was sort of hard.
Most of the time I saved came from proper gameplay (obvious) and triggering doors ASAP.
This TAS took 7 days to make.
TASvideos Details:
Emulator Used: PSXjin v2.0.2 svn0
Emulator settings: Didn't changed much, but here's a picture of my Video and Audio settings. http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/fred_chicoine/PSXjinSettings.png
I also used a PS3 Controller with JoytoKey to trigger frame advance by pressing L1 on the joypad. (I can't play this game with a keyboard)
BIOS: Scph1001.bin
Aim of the movie: Fastest Completion/Take Damage to Save Time (once)
Description: Resident Evil is a Playstation game that span the Survival-Horror genre of gaming, it didn't invent it though, Alone in the Dark did. They just took the ideas and added zombies and so it grabbed the heart of many gamers in the 90's. You play as Either Chris or Jill, Chris being harder because of the handicap of having less inventory spaces, and you are sent in to investigate on bizarre crimes that happened recently in the Arkley Mountains. But what they'll see that night will changes the event of the world...soon.
The making of the movie: I had lots of fun doing this, I'm an ex real-time speed runner so having controls over thing are almost impossible when running in real-time. With the tools provided with the emulator I did what I could with very little that I know about them, I wish I could have use the RAM tools, I tried to understand them and failed miserably, although if someone would like to show me how to use them I'll probably remake this TAS, I could probably save 3-4 seconds in it, mostly if I could find a way to bypass that Elevator zombie. Even though I didn't use the RAM tool, I still made use of Luck Manipulation with the first Snake encounter (Yawn), which I'm proud of :)
I'm pretty sure that Resident Evil fan will appreciate this run, and mostly people who runs this game in real-time, it combines the best actions of a lots of run into one big TAS, all tricks known are used.
There is a TAS hosted here on Nintendo DS, the difference between the two games are ENORMOUS;
-Skipping Cutscenes -180 degrees turn -Different Zombie AI -Graphics
This alone should make it obvious that both runs can't be compared. I.E. NES Super Mario Bros. SNES Super Mario Bros All-stars ver.
Thanks You! I hope you appreciate the effort of my 1st TAS.
Fred
Screenshots: I'll send them later ;) (I got one in mind that would be great)

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3241: AjAX's PSX Resident Evil: Director's Cut in 1:01:24.50
Former player
Did you really make those 40 seconds back by picking up the bazooka? non-tas version goes without
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
This is one of these games that are fun to playthrough and speedrun, but don't translate into a good TAS. 95% of the run is just running from A to B with not much in the way to stop you, and much of the movements look very approximate. I'll vote meh on this one, but I look forward to seeing the GCN version being TASed.
My
AndyD wrote:
Did you really make those 40 seconds back by picking up the bazooka? non-tas version goes without
You realize that not taking the bazooka almost add 3 min of gameplay to the run, right? Also, there is over 10 runs of Resident Evil out there, perhaps the one you watched was a knife-run only. My run goal was fastest completion so I needed this bazooka. :)
Mitjitsu wrote:
This is one of these games that are fun to playthrough and speedrun, but don't translate into a good TAS. 95% of the run is just running from A to B with not much in the way to stop you, and much of the movements look very approximate. I'll vote meh on this one, but I look forward to seeing the GCN version being TASed.
Very approximate? Explain please :) 95% of the run is just running with not much in the way, each zombie has a particular technique to be avoided, some took lots of re-record to get, I run RE in real time settings and you get bitten a lot in them. Also, I planned on making TAS of most survival horror games, and the NGC version is even more running from A to B.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
AjAX wrote:
Mitjitsu wrote:
Very approximate? Explain please :) 95% of the run is just running with not much in the way, each zombie has a particular technique to be avoided, some took lots of re-record to get, I run RE in real time settings and you get bitten a lot in them.
When you're navigating round bends Jill seems act like she trying to steer on ice for much of the run and you seem to make constant corrections to try and get here facing the correct direction. 4353 rerecords dictates that it wasn't hard to dodge zombies when you have savestates on your side. How hard something is to do in real time is of little relevence to the TASing community as a whole. Of course in this instance me and many others have played the game and know how difficult it can be to dodge zombies in tight corridors.
Jungon
He/Him
Player (40)
I'm replying to the topic before watching because it looks a lot like my submission on the 're-record count' category ... I try to be a decent TASer, but fail on the lack of extreme optimization and frame-accurate movements... I'm watching this for the same reason you worked on it, (yeah, childhood favorite / want to see how fast) .. so, I'll have a good opinion on the run as soon as possible .. +D EDIT: you chose standard instead of advanced, that's not picking the hardest mode.. O_o
*Jungon*/*Johnnyz* smilie weirdo =P ^^ o.o @__@ +D
If you remember correctly advanced mode is only replacing items and other camera angles. Arakudo runs has around 56xx rerecords and is 7 minutes longer mine has around 43xx. (not to count how many times he had to re-record because of those dodge input and lots 50% of the run is door transitionning) Doesn't seem that bad to me. The 3d model bends right I admit, I did the best I could, this is my first TAS and blablabla let's get all melo-dramatic about it, fine. Truth is, no frames are lost replacing Jill on the right way (most of the time 2-3 frames replacing turn, It's TANK deplacement) :)
Jungon
He/Him
Player (40)
I'm voting Yes because I didn't know there was a way that you could finish the game without saving Chris nor Barry õ_o and because of the entertainment I had on some parts, .. xP
*Jungon*/*Johnnyz* smilie weirdo =P ^^ o.o @__@ +D
I enjoyed watching this run, it looks quite well executed and planned. Though i tend to agree with what Mitjitsu said - running looks a bit sloppy here and there. Even if yuo don't lose frames doing these little corrections of running directions (which i doubt, since you say you ran everything in realtime), it looks less impressive and catches the eye of the viewer. Still i'd give it a strong yes vote if i could. By the way, how do you skip the final battle with the Tyrant?
Active player (276)
Not rescuing Barry skips the final battle with Tyrant. Skipping Chris is an obvious time saver. Of course, this is the worst ending, but pure speed is the aim here.
Oh, i see, thanks for clarifying. Haven't watched anything but 100% sda runs for this game recently, which completely erased all remainings of knowledge i had about bad endings :)
Experienced player (954)
AjAX wrote:
Arakudo runs has around 56xx rerecords and is 7 minutes longer mine has around 43xx.
Wrong my run was around 80k rerecord (this is in submission so you missed it), my movie was destroyed near the end and while hexing input i lost rerecord, everybody know it took me 3-4 months to produce it (test run+ published run), its on the forum topic. Also more importantly, its not because somebody get low rerecord published it mean you are allowed to make things sloopy, very very very bad argument here (thought i understand it and i think its natural, but remember here we are all about doing godly stuffs lol) Im inclined to vote yes because i believe the ammount of errors will save only a couple of seconds, and not minutes, this isnt whored to death (theres small errors) but i think its well made and should be borderline publishable because theres efforts and obviously the route and tricks are well planned. I can easly understand ppl voting no or meh, coz usually even a few seconds can be enought to refuse a run (this happened to me as well), im just on the other side of the borderline. I havent voted yet coz i didnt had time so far to watch it fully from begin to end. For a first time at tasing this is good, that im pretty sure, so dont get demotivated and take the comments about optimization on the bright side, it actually have nothing to do with the game itself, but what the site except from a taser, wich is to test everything several times to unsure its the fastest, you rerecord behavior is obviously far far away from what they except, this isnt disqualifing as a whole, it will comes naturally over time while tasing.
abyrvalg wrote:
(which i doubt, since you say you ran everything in realtime),
I said I was a real time runner before, this as been done all the way with frame advance :) ArukAdo: Thanks, although I am not getting demotivated, I'm only defending my TAS, quite normal I think. Of course with time I will become a better TASer, I just hate the BE PERFECT like you did this for the last 5 years attitude that's all :) Thanks again!
Skilled player (1090)
It should be noted that we already have a Resident Evil 1 run published. There was some discussion in that thread as to which version would be best for publication, however the debate was suspended as there was no other finished run at the time. If anyone has any opinions on versions/categories/obsoletion for this game then please express them when commenting on this movie. It would be a great help.
AjAX wrote:
Of course with time I will become a better TASer, I just hate the BE PERFECT like you did this for the last 5 years attitude that's all :) Thanks again!
perfection is the enemy of the good... but the way of the TAS.
Experienced player (954)
AjAX wrote:
I just hate the BE PERFECT
You dont have to be perfect, re3 aint perfect and it was my first tas, it has to be as close as possible, if i didnt made a test run first im pretty sure it would have been lot more difficult for a judge to accept second version, things like the yes/no trick or speedup with one handed guns can only be founded while frame whoring or trial and error for exemple, and thats what ppl except from you here, what i mean is even if this get accepted you wont always get away from lesser technical quality (well actually in general you never get away) and greater game knowlegable, 7 days for a 1 hour movie is barely any trial and error for a game like that, usually this is call test run, note that im not saying here it shouldnt be accepted, its likely improvable if its the case (can be osboleted). Now onto the version question that mukki did bring up, i think obviously theres cons and pro, so its not a easy call, you also have to keep in mind there should be (well imo) a chris run alongside whatever is published, what i mean is for exemple it would be silly to reject this and accept a psx chris because nobody made chris on ds so far. Im more for the original version but the advantage of the ds one is the cutscene skip obviously, it also mean its quite different timing, tricks and maneuver all way trought, not a easy call definitly, unless we where to allow to have both versions published.
I personnaly go for seperate categories for what I mentionned in my author's comment, also, If I were to do a TAS of Chris (the other character), It should be a seperate categorie also because the scenario is much faster to do and Chris has less cutscenes (shorter). I watched the DS TAS and I can see LOTS of improvements in it, the route and the playing, so if this TAS ever gets rejected because of the DS version (which I honestly think that it would suck, not because I did the TAS but simply cause the game is completly different) I will Improve the DS TAS, rejected or not. EDIT: I posted a lot of informations in the PSX topic about this TAS and never got information or feedback whatsoever, I find it shameful that now that it's up to verification people tell me all about it, just a point here. Like I say I might redo this, but I don't expect to shave more than 5xx frames.
Experienced player (954)
Well im sorry you didnt got more feedback on the forum, this can happen, you cant blame us to be slower than your pace, thats not reasonable, we arent bots :p Now of course if it was mario64 or OoT or stuffs like that yeah you would get more feedback as more people are interrested, I was kinda interrested as well but no time to deal with it busy with other stuffs. 10 seconds range sound like realistic, wether its a bit more or less is kinda a detail, but yeah thats those 10 seconds that can make a huge difference to say you are really doing something considered superplay, i remember for castlevania adventure those 10 seconds prooved to satisfy a lot of the borderline feedback, while it was already about 3minutes faster than the rejected run, so in the end yeah you would hardly see the difference in the run itself but technically its more intensive work and more satisfacting overall. Edit: ok so i finally got a hand on the movie, it doesnt end correctly (skip ending...), also i took randomly a menu access to test it, it was just about equiping the bazooka (not long after you pick it up) and i won 12 frames just for optimizing that menu, it might be well over 10 seconds actually, you apparently applied turbo strategy everywhere, so theres not any precision, while this doesnt forcably is a problem in many cases (the game is often all about running dumbly), the menu is the perfect exemple where you should have had extreme precision and not just bashing keys alternativly on frame advance, i wouldnt have underlined this if you was 1 or 2 frames off, 12 for such a trivial thing as the menu is kinda not within our standarts. This isnt a huge criticism, but i was hoping there would be more precision, the run is a bit easy to obsolete in its current state (doesnt require new tricks or knowledge). Ive also determined the pause trick is slower than just shooting, in REAL time (not game time), what this mean is unless you would be hit by a boss, or cant manipulate the zombie AI, this must be avoided at all cost (and you seem to use it everytime you can) 10-20 frames range saved (depend how you count since you also seem to turbo those, ie no precision)
I realized how to open doors correctly and how the menu thing worked around mid-way in the TAS (Caverns Area) EDIT: Also, fuck it, I cancel the submission and cancel TASing as well, back to SDA.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... *burp*!
Experienced player (954)
AjAX wrote:
I realized how to open doors correctly and how the menu thing worked around mid-way in the TAS (Caverns Area)
Those kind of things if you dont mention it in submision im not mind reader i cant guess it, i wouldnt have checked otherwise, but anybody replaying the movie frame by frame would spot it tho (well that you turbo'ed and didnt exactly went for precision) Well i guess me or Uroboros will take back the burden when we are done with re2. Official mind on the version matter would be _much_ appreciated, like i was saying allowing chris psx because chris ds isnt made yet doesnt make sence, so we have to be clear wether or not the psx version is ok for tasing, and if it shall cross plateform obsolete ds or just get published alongside. Edit: read it as, i want a judge answer regard adelikat judgement over the ds movie, plz, the psx run exist despite its canceled somebody has to address the issue.
Former player
With more optimization and better strategy, I see no reason why a publishable tas is not within your grasp. But 7 days of a tas of this length and game type sounds way too short. I'd imagine at least a month of work.
Nah, I'd rather do real time speedrun, plus there's a shitload of things that I don't know like RAM watch and stuff, this is not for me obviously.