Metroid 100% items in 41:43
Emulator: Famtasia (patched from the patch machine)
I've been working on this run for about a month and a half, and I finally finished it today. I tried to be as precise as possible with jumping, shooting, bombing, etc. I played at 2 % speed for anything requiring precision. It was fairly difficult in some spots, like Ridley's lair, and Tourian.
I used an original route, that saved quite a bit of time compared to the usual route. I found a nice shortcut in Norfair that saved 2 to 3 minutes. Ridley and Kraid battles are extremely short. I finished around 15 minutes faster than Red Scarlet's record.
I abused a few glitches: the door trick, morph jumping, bomb boost jumping. I also use morph jumping to pass through blocks a few times, which I had never seen or heard of before.
I took hits whenever avoiding them was impossible or whenever it would slow me down more than a few frames. I also used them to my advantage in certain situations. I manipulated monster item drops quite a lot to get missles.
I used a password to get suitless Samus. The password does nothing else.
Hope you guys like this.

Bisqwit: Technically this movie looks very good - awesome for someone's first submission. I didn't know that Metroid has a suitless mode. Seems like this movie is ok. Publishing today or tomorrow.
Bisqwit: Done

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #340: Zoizite's NES Metroid "100%" in 41:43.33
Bisqwit wrote:
The password must not have any unmentioned effects
Seeing as how the password sets a single bit (the second '2' is part of the checksum), the password can only have one effect. The suitles effect is purely visual. It even uses the same number of tiles for the sprite, so framerate shouldn't be affected either.
Former player
That was an awesome movie. That's definatly one of the best ones I have seen. :) One thing though:
Zoizite wrote:
whenever it would slow me down more than a few frames
Does this mean that you did slow down in some cases? If you get hit at least once, you may as well get his as often as possible where it saves you time.
Editor, Active player (296)
Bob Whoops wrote:
One thing though:
Zoizite wrote:
Does this mean that you did slow down in some cases? If you get hit at least once, you may as well get his as often as possible where it saves you time.
I disagree with you and agree with Zoizite's decision - it's a matter of favoring a cool movie over mathematical precision.
Former player
Well, depends on what "a few frames" means and how often it happens.
Awesome run. I love the creative use of the maru mari's physics and the battle with Mother Brain was simply beautiful. :) The only sour point is that it's been desyncing for people (usually a room or two after the screw attack). There might be a couple things a viewer can do to get around it: Fast-forward past the desync point (set speed to 400% for example). Let the game sit at the title screen for a few seconds before playing the movie. Hopefully the desync isn't frequent enough to be a real problem.
Former player
I don't think I ever took more than 3 or 4 frames to avoid a hit that wouldn't push me backwards. Sucks that it's desynching for some people. I could re-upload it if it's going to be a problem. It desynchs sometimes at 400% speed, but never at 100% for me, and never near the Screw Attack. Thanks for the comments.
If for honesty, you want apologies, I don't sympathize.
Editor, Active player (296)
It worked for me when I played it at 900% speed. I hope it works when I record it at 100% speed.
Beautiful run. As for questions about 100% collected, I can confirm that all weapons/suits/etc are grabbed, as are all the energy tanks. Missles is harder, and I didn't try. As stated before, the code doesn't have any bearing on the game other than looks. Movie did not desync for me, though I watched at 400% speed.
"How can you prove you exist? Maybe we don't exist..." -Vivi Ornitier (Final Fantasy IX)
Active player (277)
My old computer could handle about 400% speed. My new computer can only handle about 250%. I find that sad.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Player (70)
Is your old computer faster than the new one? Sorry to tell you this but, last buy you got ripped off! :( Hehe.. Sorry.. Just way to tired. Haha. I checked that box called "MAX" next to the speed setting. A very stupid option I must say. Hehe. I thought I would soil my pants because the music got all messed.
Former player
You've got a pretty crappy box if it can't emulate something almost 20 years old at 3 times speed.
Player (70)
I've played nes games on 133Mhz computers without problems. Used nesticle back then though.
Active player (277)
I blame it on multi-tasking.
Player (70)
So use earlier versions of dos or something?
Former player
I watched at normal 100% speed and I was impressed. I love the color change in Brinstar after returning from Norfair. That was cool. Do that again.
Do Not Talk About Feitclub http://www.feitclub.com
Active player (277)
Okay, never mind what I said before; I just tried Famtasia again, and it seems I CAN play it at extremely high speeds, all the way up to 999%. I don't know what I was doing before that caused it to have problems at 267%. Well, sorry for going off topic. I'll watch the movie soon to make up for it.
Active player (277)
blip wrote:
The suitles effect is purely visual. It even uses the same number of tiles for the sprite, so framerate shouldn't be affected either.
Hey, is that why Metroid timeattackers like to turn into a ball before falling down long chutes? To lower the number of tiles and improve the framerate? That only occurred to me because of the Goldeneye 007 speedrun videos my brother showed me in which players would make Bond stare at the floor while moving long distances without shooting to keep the game from having to draw as much.
Post subject: Re: #340: Zoizite's NES Metroid in 41:43
Former player
Bisqwit wrote:
I didn't know that Metroid has a suitless mode.
It's not in the FDS version, only the NES one.
someone is out there who will like you. take off your mask so they can find you faster. I support the new Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun.
Player (70)
Hmm.. I don't think it's only about the frame rate. Because when you morph back from ball, Samus will stop a bit in mid air, allowing you to move upwards right?
Former player
I watched it last night. It was very impressive. I didn't see any obvious improvements that could be made and I found it entertaining.
Former player
Awesome run. Really. This run is very well done. Some of the things I just sat and wonder what the heck was doing. :)
Wheeeehaaa.. Yaaayy..
Active player (277)
The only thing I didn't understand was the door that was just floating in the air. Where did that come from?
Former player
I don't know. I think it was right after a glitch, so its probably just some of the after effects of the glitch. Just guessing though.
Former player
Flying doors look kinda funny.... I wonder what happens if you try to walk into the door. Very nice run btw, I finally got a chance to witness the door bug... which makes you fly up the ceiling. It was the first thing I heard of when I heard of NES videos (even before Morimoto's SMB3 run), but I never witnessed it until now.