The Rocketeer originally appeared in a 1982 comic book series, but is best known for the Disney movie released in 1991. The NES game was also released in the same year and follows the plot of the movie. For those not familiar, the Rocketeer is a pilot that chews gum and flies around on a jetpack fighting Nazi spies. Well I'm all out of gum, so here we go.

Game Objectives:

• Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Manipulates luck
  • Abuses programming errors
Emulator: FCEUX 2.1.5 (using TAS Editor)

About The Movie:

There are a few aspects that make this game interesting from a TAS perspective. There is no refilling of health or ammo once a stage or chapter is completed, so all items (health, ammo, fuel) must be picked up throughout the game. While enemy drops can be manipulated, not all enemies drop items, and some enemies only carry certain items. Also, seemingly random actions by the Rocketeer (such as jumping or attacking) can affect the enemy's attack patterns, as well as, change the optimal timing for jumping sections. In addition, jumping is slower than running, and the high jump has a slight delay when landing which limits its usefulness in a speed run.

Techniques Used:

• By starting an attack slightly before the Rocketeer lands, the player can fire two shots for one use of ammo. This trick is used throughout the game to kill two enemies with one attack.
  • If an attack is initiated just before a stage or chapter ends, it will finish as the next stage starts. Since enemies will only drop items if killed at a certain time, this trick is used to obtain items from enemies at the beginning of the stage. The trick is also used to launch a grenade at the final boss, which shortens what would ordinarily be a fight using only the pistol.
  • Some enemies provide a brief speed boost when they hit a flying Rocketeer.
  • If the Rocketeer takes damage while at zero health, but is able to complete the stage before the death animation starts, the player begins the next stage back at zero health.
  • Pressing either the up or down key every other frame can sometimes cause the Rocketeer to fall faster.
  • The jetpack loses fuel at approximately every 8th frame. By cutting off the jetpack before the fuel counter decreases, the Rocketeer can start it up again for a few frames without losing fuel. The jetpack is much faster than running, but it can only be turned on shortly after jumping, so this trick is reserved for spots where there is a long stretch between fuel canisters.

Some Useful RAM Addresses:

• 0014 - Current screen position (x-axis)
  • 0018 - Next frame's screen position (x-axis)
  • 0200 - Measures height (y-axis)
  • 053A - Horizontal velocity
  • 05A7 - Vertical velocity
  • 05B0 - Rocket fuel

Special Thanks

partyboy1a and DarkKobold for offering great advice and keeping me motivated to complete this TAS.

Mukki: Judging...
Mukki: A nice first submission. Pleased to accept.
sgrunt: I'll rocket through this one...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3400: TheHepper's NES The Rocketeer in 13:55.66
Judging by the submission text, it seems pretty well thought-out. I look forward to seeing it when an encode come up.
Player (84)
Thanks amphoterite! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to learn how to encode on my own, so we might have to wait for someone to offer. If necessary, I could split it up into several 2 minute youtube posts, but my computer is horrible and takes 3 hours for each upload.
Player (116)
Be patient, someone will encode it.
[19:16] <scrimpy> silly portuguese [19:16] <scrimpy> it's like spanish, only less cool
Skilled player (1637)
I'm throwing up a temporary encode, hope it works http://youtu.be/ADbGUvtMXAI Anyway, great drop manipulation and health management. Really well done TAS, by a new TASer. Sorry this hasn't gotten much activity, but most people vote off encodes these days. Hopefully the encode will get the attention this submission deserves. I'm hoping it is just the holiday season/winter break that is causing the drop in activity here.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
RachelB
She/Her
Player (127)
Looks good, yes vote from me.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Like DarkKobold said, this is a technically well done TAS, and it deserves to be on the site. Yes vote.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Normally, I would watch this via the emulator, but I'm on vacation. Thanks, DarkKobold, for the temp encode! As for you, TheHepper, great job with your run! The game has a nice pace, and the resource management is impressive. Some other amusing things: * I like when you outrun an enemy who follows you for a while, even though the enemy's legs move twice as fast! (There are several examples of this in Chapter 3, for instance.) * The flying animation totally looks like the Rocketeer is farting fire. * Hottest video game credits kiss... at least for the NES. I have a few questions, though: * In Chapter 7, with all the big steel floors, why do you sometimes bounce a lot before going into a corridor? I saw this fairly early in the chapter. * Are there any glitches for embedding yourself in walls or obstacles? I was thinking it would be quite cool if you could get yourself into the trees in the forest chapter so that you don't have to keep zigzagging left and right. Great run, yes vote!
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Player (84)
Everyone, thanks for the kind words! mklip2001: Thanks for your interest. The jumping before the corridors is because if the Rocketeer falls from a great height, he will ordinarily have to crouch on the ground for a couple seconds. But if you jump just as he lands, you can avoid this delay. However, the ceiling physics changed in the last chapter. Normally the Rocketeer would bounce off the ceilings in a corridor, but in that chapter he sticks to them and slows down. Jumping against the corner of the ceiling before the corridor was faster. This is also why, in the long corridor with the 2 gun shooting guys and the runner, I don't try to kill them since the Rocketeer has to stop to shoot. By the way, it was very hard manipulating the game to let me run through that corridor and only take 3 hits, instead of 4. In regards to the embed glitches, I don't think there are any, but finding them would be the best way to improve the run. My experience is the Rocketeer moves too slow to trick the game into letting you pass through a wall, even with the jetpack. I also don't think the walls have block physics you can get between like in Mario. And, tricks with up+down or left+right don't work, because the game just chooses down and left by default. I was able to get stuck between a crate and a ceiling once in ch5, but the game just sent me straight down through the crate to the floor beneath and I lost momentum. I never noticed that part about their legs moving faster than the Rocketeer, that's hilarious! EDIT: I forgot to mention, there are a couple spots in the first stage of the last chapter where you aren't forced to crouch down if you perform a high-jump. So I take advantage of this where possible.
Experienced player (852)
For a game about a Rocketeer this game seems a bit stingy with the rocket fuel. Good run though.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1942] NES The Rocketeer by TheHepper in 13:55.66
Personman
Other
This is really good! I'm sorry I missed it when it was on the workbench. The rockety sections are all really cool, and I also really like the bit with the three <-> shooty things on the stairs, where you jump into the middle of them as they split. In the dark foresty level, do you jump a lot to confuse the bats, or because the ground is different there and jumping is faster?
A warb degombs the brangy. Your gitch zanks and leils the warb.
Player (84)
Actually, the jumping in the forest is because its a way to glitch the game into letting me go faster by using the rocket without losing any fuel. This game is very stingy with the rocket fuel, and outright takes it from you in some levels, so you have to be careful to use it well. I'm glad you enjoyed the run!