Wohoo! I finally got this done! I've been wanted to do this time attack since I first started time attacking. I couldn't do it though since Famtasia crashes when you enter the Technodrome. So now I used the FCEU emulator.
However I don't like it as much as Famtasia ;)
Ok. My time is 18:43 according to the emulator. The existing run by TheLastStarfighter is 19:34 I think. So my attempt is a bit faster.
Turtles is a hard game. I've never completed it on a real console due to the hardness. So this run should be impressive ;)
The randomness is a bothersome factor in this game. Therefor it looks a bit strange in some places. For example in the Dam I change to Don just before the end and then a bit later I change to Leonardo for a couple of seconds. Why didn´t I changed to Leo in the first place? This is because Don is the strongest turtle and I needed him to kill this one enemy which I couldn´t manipulate. Ok, I could have avoided/killed/him with Leo but with the cost of time and fluency of my run. So I simply choosed the smoothest way to do it. Oh, also you might notice that Leonardo only takes one half square of damage! So why did I even bother to change to him? Simply because I had to. Those darn robots takes 1 whole square of energy IF you only have 1 square left. I tried several different things but came to that conclusion. Stupid but true.
Hmm. I have to kill some enemies to clear my way and since most of them takes more then 1 hit, even with Donatello, I have to stop for some fraction of a second. I tried with different trix to cut this waiting down to minimum and I think I succeeded.
I didn't find any glitches unfortunately but I used one that TheLastStarfighter used vs that big mouse-robot-boss. If you pause during the fight you can hit him even when he has his mouth close.
I also took a different route in the technodrome because it was faster. The last corridor was a pain in the ass because of all those space men. I think I handled them as fast as possible.
Well. That's it I think. This should be pretty impressive to anyone who has played this game ;)
  • As fast as possible
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Abuses programming errors in the game (one glitch)
Enjoy!
/Walker Boh

Bisqwit: Processing.
One thing I wonder is why you (almost) never used jumping to progress faster on conveyer-belts that move against your goal.
I don´t jump on these conveyer belts for 2 reasons. 1. There are 3 types of heights on jumps in this game. Low, middle and high jumps. To be able to jump on most conveyor belts the low jump is prefered. However, those jumps are pretty high aswell and at most places I would have banged my head into the ceiling making me stop for a fraction of a second. It seemed unnecessary long when I played so I choosed not to jump.
2. Those turtles jumps pretty far even with the low jump. So the other reason why I didn´t jump as much was because I would get past those belts and fall down. I guess I could have jumped more but with the result of more waiting in mid air at the end of those conveyor belts.
I hope that answers your question.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #359: Walker Boh's NES Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 18:43.37
Player (67)
It desynced for me in the underwater level. I'm almost positive I was using the correct ROM (the checksums given in the dialog before playing the movie matched perfectly). I'm going to try a different ROM, but has this happened to anyone else? Edit: nevermind, it didn't desync this time, and I used the same ROM. Has anyone had the "open read only" thing make it desync when selected? Because that's the only explanation I have... Edit: It was very nice! It looked very tight and well optimized. I think it is worthy of being published. I like how you can jump to places that I think you're probably not supposed to be able to. Like how you got the missles. :) Although I have one very small complaint; in the first level in the "get the blimp" area, you climbed a set of stairs a few pixels too far to the right. But it's a very small issue and there might be a reason for it I don't know about anyway. But hey, I have to try to find something, right?
Emulator Coder
Did not desynch for me. Definately a good run.
Former player
Uhm. I think I mean what spot you are reffering too. I did this because I needed some more pixles upstairs for that ninja dude with the boomerangs. I know about it and Im pretty sure I did the right thing. Had to replay that part like 20 times and that was the best solution.
/Walker Boh
No desynchs for me and I didn't open it in read-only mode. Quite solid playing, I remember this game being really HARD, I think I got to the dam or so. No noticiable flaws and the shortness of the game keeps it quite interesting. And then there's the music. :) There's some nice tunes in this game, especially the cutscene piece.
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
Former player
Looking good. The only thing I thought about was what I've suggested before, kill yourself after getting the missiles in area 3, so you get out faster. However, since dying in a time attack has always been debated.....
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [210] NES Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles by Walker Boh in 18:43.37