(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
  • Emulator: FCEUX 2.1.5
  • No warps/passwords/programming errors
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Aims for fastest time

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3445: XTREMAL93's NES The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles in 11:46.99
Skilled player (1706)
I haven't watched it yet, but isn't 623 rerecords a little too low for a 11 minute movie?
Guga
He/Him
Not entertaining at all. Vote No.
XTREMAL93
He/Him
Active player (388)
jlun2 wrote:
I haven't watched it yet, but isn't 623 rerecords a little too low for a 11 minute movie?
I played this game many times and I don't need so many rerecords
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Thank you for the encode, XTREMAL93!
ThatGugaWhoPlay wrote:
Not entertaining at all. Vote No.
You're entitled to your opinion, but I completely disagree. I found this quite entertaining, since it moves fast and has a variety of weapons and stage layouts. It's sort of like a fast Castlevania game. Waiting periods could have been made a little more fun, but overall there was very little quiet time with this movie.
XTREMAL93 wrote:
For a normal speedrun, this makes sense, but TASing is different. TASing a game doesn't use all the same skills as playing a game. Being a good player of the game helps, but you'd still want to use TAS tools properly to get very precise runs. This is especially important when you're doing things like memory watching to optimize your velocity. Anyway, I liked this run. It looks a little imprecise, especially when you need to jump up a bunch of steps. Bosses look pretty good, though I think the last boss could be done faster (maybe you can change where you take damage to save more time here). I haven't decided whether to vote Meh or Yes yet... I suspect this run has a fair amount of room for improvement.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
XTREMAL93 wrote:
jlun2 wrote:
The amount of times you played the game helps only to find a better strategy, to plan your route better. But it doesn't help to make a perfect TAS. You just dive your mind into the game's physics, items, enemies, movements, find necessary RAM values (health, speed, enemies' health) and think about every second of the run (except only the sections where you just run right). You shall test different ways to jump onto a platform, it may be possible to find a way to speed yourself up, like Aglar finds in such places. You shall test wether simultanius pressings of LEFT+RIGHT or UP+DOWN do anything anywhere, try pressing a button every other frame (for example RUN button, but any other may appear to cause some glitch). And you shall TAS each level at least twice, to be sure you didn't miss any timesaver, especially not obvious one. To get an idea of how to TAS precisely, read AnS' articles in Russian.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Skilled player (1706)
XTREMAL93 wrote:
jlun2 wrote:
If this gets published, in before it gets obsoleted within a week or so. =p
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Experienced player (508)
As a proof of what other people are saying here is a quick and dirty redoing of the first portion up to a little less than 36 seconds and so far I have saved 36 frames. I would say you should cancel the movie and work to improve it because as jlun2 said if this gets published I will come out with an improvement within a week. Edit: Not related to this movie but I think it is awesome that TAS Editor has a rerecord count now so my movies don't have to have 0, so whoever added that in thank you.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
I remember this being one of the first games I tried to TAS. Except the second level was glitching up - the vertical scrolling would always bork and the graphics would come out weird, for example, you would apparently be stuck in the floor but it would be just fine normally. It's nice to see a run, but it's too improvable.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Experienced player (508)
Looking into this game more and I am now guaranteed that this movie can be improved upon by right around 35 seconds simply through better optimization which is why I believe that this movie cannot be published in its current version.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Voting No because the run is not optimized, as goofydylan8 just said. XTREMAL93, please optimize the run and then submit the finished movie after you have taken your time and made sure it's not improvable.
as a first run and an unknown game, it's "looks" good enough for "frame untrained eyes" like mines, i'll give it a yes as there is no "ouch miss" moments and it's lets new tasers have a "easy obsolation goal" to reach...
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, bitter!
XTREMAL93
He/Him
Active player (388)