Post subject: balloon fight
how abot balloon fight? maybe a oneplayer level 1 rush? could proabably be fun...like the excitebike thing
Player (70)
I remember baloon fight be a pretty boring game to watch. Fun to play though.
two words: bor-ing
I am a Mega Man fan that hates Megaman X8.
Former player
I disagree. I think if a 2 player run was done, if each player optimally bounced off of the enemy balloons as much as possible in order to go from one to the next, each level could be done very quickly and would look great. I only wish the game had a definitive ending.
Former player
I guess the maps would just repeat after.. let´s say stage 25 or something. Yeah, it would be most impressive to see this perfected because the controls are a bit.. unprecise. I wish anyone who makes this good luck.
/Walker Boh
Former player
I did the first couple levels and it looks ok... nothing spectacular, but for a completist or fan of the game it could certainly be worthwhile.
Player (70)
Thats probably the case always when you are a fan of a certain game, right?
Former player
I would certainly enjoy it.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Editor, Active player (296)
Replying to year-old threads is fun! I did a little run of the "mode c", that is, "balloon trip" at this game with FCEU. https://files.tasvideos.org/bisqwit/bfight.zip It spans 5 and half minutes, and then I got bored with making that silly movie. It ends with 152260 points.
I looked around and I could not find a run of this game, and I did not see any topics about it as well . is this game interesting enought to do a high score run of ? . The time to get to 400k, or higher ? I have been playing with this game for a few weeks and I got a 200k run made http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=FRylMq3y9UU using the fceux emulator that is used on this site .
Skilled player (1402)
A TAS for this game doesn't require any planning, and that's generally a bad sign. I also think it isn't able to show something extraordinary that couldn't be shown in a non tool assisted run. This TAS wouldn't require very much effort to make, and you can generally say that effort = entertainment. There was btw a submission of this mode here, and it was rejected for being pointless. There also was a topic about it here.
well I guess I wont bother with that now will I . I will try to think of another game to play , this is my first reall attempt ,so I am not all that put out , but thank you.
Skilled player (1402)
An optimized TAS of the 2 player mode might make an interesting TAS. I'm not sure how many levels there are though.
there is 12 levels , and once you beat the 12 you start back at the 4th level and do them all over again , so the levels just repeat over and over
Skilled player (1402)
Well, 12 levels might be just enough to not be repetitive... but it looping is generally an unsatisfying ending to a TAS. And it might be pretty hard to optimize it, which is a good thing. If you decide to do it, be sure to post wips, to see if people like it, and if they think it's played optimally.
XkyRauh
He/Him
Speaking from an entertainment perspective, the 200k run spends too much time hovering in place. Half of what makes Balloon Trip so difficult is the clumsiness of the movement. A TAS would have to show off some crazy maneuverability--a lot more sideways movement--in order to be impressive. The current run looks like it's being played rather conservatively, which is the last thing anyone wants to see in a TAS. I think you should go for it, personally--but make it look risky and ballsy. Dive into clusters of stars that any normal, conservative player would gasp at. :)
I actually been looking for a way to find the hitbox of the starsand the balloon guy as well to see how close I could actually get to them , but I dont know if that is a emulator function or a game genie code . please forgive my ignorance on that subject .
You would need to find the values for the hit boxes in the RAM somewhere. The game probably stores where two of the box corners are for every object in the RAM or something like that. Then you would need a LUA script to take those values and draw the hit boxes on the screen. A few people around here know how to do these things, but I don't know how easy it is to find these hit box values...
<ccfreak2k> There is no 'ctrl' button on DeHackEd's computer. DeHackEd is always in control.
Active player (325)
I agree that this game should have a TAS. It'd be fun to see how fast a 2-player run could abuse the bouncing physics and clear the stage as fast as possible. Perhaps a run of this game could hit the reset button at the end of all the levels, then do an entertaining run through Balloon Trip.
i personally have never played 2 carecters with one controller befor , it sounds like quite the challenge , but the 2 guys start out on opposite sides of the screen , so I guess I am thinking it might be harder then I think it will be , I guess I should give it try tonight . I have been doing the balloon trip and there is alot of dead time , I know you need to fill dead time wiht some sort of action , but when there are no stars on the screen and only the water to play in that is really my onlyoption , Ijust dont want it to get dull becouse the fish is the only thing to torment when there is no stars on screen , and getting the bubbles that pause the screen can drag time on , but you also get pionts for them so by missing them you lose out on score , but add more time to the clock . but more challenging actions can be taken when the stars are frozen for that time .
XkyRauh wrote:
Speaking from an entertainment perspective, the 200k run spends too much time hovering in place. Half of what makes Balloon Trip so difficult is the clumsiness of the movement. A TAS would have to show off some crazy maneuverability--a lot more sideways movement--in order to be impressive. The current run looks like it's being played rather conservatively, which is the last thing anyone wants to see in a TAS. I think you should go for it, personally--but make it look risky and ballsy. Dive into clusters of stars that any normal, conservative player would gasp at. :)
first of all I am sorry for double posting . I took your advice and tried to go all out , I was able to pull off quite a few moves that I would never try for real , I dont think it is the best but it is an approvement for sure , I looked up in this site and well balloon trios for nes and game boy are not looked at as entertainment at all , I never watched the vids... I got one positive remark so I guess I will not dwell on the negative and try to press forward . I have tried the 2 player one controler and well it was just as hard as I thought it would be , and I like the sugestion of beating the 14 levels then going for a balloon trip . if this does not pan out into something that people enjoy , well I will not lose any sleep , I am learning alot by doing this so if all else fails I guess I gained some exp on the subject. umm .. how exactly do I post my WIP , I go to upload my movie file from myemulator , I got the fceux 2.0.2 and well the save file is different from files allowed in that file uploader , or am I doing somehting wrong ... http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=HWn_xWYT8xM my newest vid
here is my first try at controlling both guys, there are still a few things I know I could fix , but this is my first attempt , I stopped recording after the 12th level , http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=95Sxkh9Kk3Y
XkyRauh
He/Him
Why didn't you double-team the last guy at 1:30? It looks like you lost time there, and a few other places. I like the coordinated effort, though! Doesn't have to be symmetrical, so long as it's FAST.
Active player (325)
This was really unoptimized, but at least now I know for sure: An optimized TAS of this game would be really cool! For 2-player TASing, I find something that works really well is using a control pad with dual-analog: set stick 1 to control player 1, and stick 2 to control player 2, and you'll find that controlling both characters asymmetrically becomes much easier.