Former player
hi every one. i'm tasing prehistorik man in france but im in ausralia and i think about tasing a game here without sync probs ( i have them with p man ) here. i dont have to much time for tasing something complicate but i was wonderig about diablo on psx. the point are : -do you think it's a 'tasable' game cause of damage take/roads/items needed/leveling.. -is there known bugs on this game? -is it allowed to use codes ( like beeing level max with heavy stuff.. ) if they exists?
The SDA run is already basically a TAS: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Diablo.html Beats the game in 3 minutes. Duping is impossible in the psx version as well. 2-player co-op is the only way I can see this getting any attention.
Working on: Legend of Legaia, Vagrant Story
Active player (279)
there is a real time TAS of diablo on youtube with basically no levelling up. But is there a cheat codee...
skychase
He/Him
Duping is possible, only with potions and scrolls though. But, to make something different from SDA run, you can still try a no-level warrior run. Seriously, beating Diablo with a club would be awesome. ;D
Editor
PSX Diablo has modified graphics, the game speed setting which makes everything faster, and almost infinite potential for luck manipulation. Not to mention the multiplayer, which could be popular for RTA if saving/loading the game to/from the memory card didn't take ages compared to the PC version. I dare say, crazy things might be performed aside from the duping. Theoretically it might be possible to perform a TAS capable of competing WR runs without any duping as the player character would find everything he need along the way due to his super luck. Also it's worth mentioning that there are still 3 difficulty settings available.
Totally irrelevant link My consoles: PS2 (PS1 as bw\c), NDS Lite (GBA as bw/c), 3DS XL, Wii U (vWii theoretically), PS4 slim.
Editor
I might not be the first one who've found it, yet here it is - The Devilution Project. Discussion on Reddit Sometime ago an enthusiast known as Galaxyhaxz made his goal to fully recreate Diablo 1 source code. He's not the first one to undertake such a task, but this time it's an open source project. After more than a thousand hours of work he has achieved such a level of detail that his GitHub project can be actually compiled into a working exe of the game (although it has some graphical issues). And he isn't going to stop at that. His sources included not only the debug build of the game left by the developers inside the MPQ archives, but also the Japanese release of the PS1 port which happened to include a file with the details about the source code structure (symbolic file). With this Galaxyhaxz was able to recover function names and variable types. Moreover, ago a beta of the port was found online. I believe that this source code could be of assistance to whoever might try to TAS the game in the future. Or maybe someone proficient at reverse engineering might even consider helping the project (details in ReadMe.MD). Also, here's the list detailing the general purpose of each source file (most of them) I've found somewhere awhile ago.
Totally irrelevant link My consoles: PS2 (PS1 as bw\c), NDS Lite (GBA as bw/c), 3DS XL, Wii U (vWii theoretically), PS4 slim.