Submission Text Full Submission Page
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike is the notable rendition of the closing of a great series as a whole. It's well known for it massive juggle combos from EX moves and regular ones, late 90's competitions, great music, and fun characters to play as.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: FBA-rr-v007
  • Abuses programmer errors and glitches
  • Makes the AI look stupid
  • Is a Demonstration
  • Plays on highest difficulty
  • Does not aim for fastest time.
  • Heavy Luck Manipulation

Starting Comments

This has been the on-off project of mine to make the TAS of Twelve. I find this a troublesome project with the lack of EX-Juggles, and that even with common knowledge of all fighter's strengths and weaknesses it's still full in some parts and empty on others.
However I try as best as I can to show all the character's shining moments and give the viewer an idea how they are played.
I try to fill the void as much I can with entertainment via AI luck manipulation, Hitbox exploits, Twelve Trolling, and showing some cancels of enemy moves.

Rankings

• 1. Oro-S
  • 2. Makoto-S++
  • 3. Sean-SS
  • 4. Remy-SS
  • 5. Ryu-SS
  • 6. Elena-SS++
  • 7. Hugo-SS++
  • 8. Q XS++
  • 9. Dudley XS+
  • 10.Necro SS++
  • 11. Gill-SS++
Score 8057300

Stages Overview

For every stage there is massive display of perfect parrying. Even parrying a super art and some of their specials.
I ridicule the AI in most fights even so much at one point making them looking like they are the player, and I'm the CPU. I exploit hitboxes and make them miss attacks from Twelve's location compared to theirs.
Most notable stages with hitbox exploits are Sean's, Remy's, Gill's, and Ryu's
Pretty much every fight does have some AI ridculation, but my fave that I put was Hugo's and Q's. It's funny watching a grab only attack character trying to to grab you numerous times and miss.
I cancel some of their moves from grabs or certain attacks.
There is heavy luck manipulation that most of my fighting TAS work has so I never get blocked or parried unless it's intentional for a certain reason to get an attack in. Well I let you in on it.
For most of the fighting games. The enemies have no ability of seeing of where you are like we do. It's Only thing they know of is boundaries. Different characters have bigger or smaller one's depending on attacks. If you are in their boundary they will attack or block. If you are not they'll go to your pre determined one based on what the game provides that character. Another luxury they have is reading inputs. This is another thing that can be used at your advantage to confuse the enemy.
Pixel perfect distances gives the AI some fogginess of whether you can attack or not. This where linking a nice combo, super, special or juggle comes in. Instead of relying on just a corner to do your bidding.
Jumping forward and backward makes them either lunge forward at you or wait for you at the bottom to hit you. Missing a special or trapping yourself can make the AI initiate a super regardless of it is smart or not to do so. However missing any regular attack does not. I tried that with Dudley on my own time and no matter what attack I did he would not bait his corkscrew blow to a parry except a special which I can't parry from trapped frames.

Other comments

-Audience will enjoy me mocking the AI and displaying some Combos and juggles.
-This type of TAS idea seems better suited as a team effort
-Remember to playback the movie by start playback<picking the game< picking the movie file. Exit the emulator to re watch it.

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: Rejecting due to abysmal viewer feedback. The playaround lacks a lot of entertainment that there potentially could have been.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Requesting an encode. I'm very much interested in seeing how this one plays out.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Will encode tomorrow.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Another fighting TAS... *sigh* well, until I watch it I can't really complain so let's give it a try... On another note, why you people keep requesting for encodes? it's not like we won't have any if people don't ask for it so why bother at all?... And I'm pretty sure we have plenty of encoders who'd gladly do it right away (or when they have time). Speaking of which, I think I never said it but it's a good time to do so; thank you to all encoders for your good work, keep it up.
Zavalix wrote:
Another fighting TAS... *sigh* well, until I watch it I can't really complain so let's give it a try...
Twelve is probably the best character in this game for a TAS, so I'm optimistic.
Zavalix wrote:
Another fighting TAS... *sigh* well, until I watch it I can't really complain so let's give it a try... On another note, why you people keep requesting for encodes? it's not like we won't have any if people don't ask for it so why bother at all?... And I'm pretty sure we have plenty of encoders who'd gladly do it right away (or when they have time). Speaking of which, I think I never said it but it's a good time to do so; thank you to all encoders for your good work, keep it up.
It's taken a while for some submissions in the past. I don't know if it's because there were fewer/busier encoders in past times, but, showing interest can (from what I can tell) get encoders to prioritize their efforts.
SDR
Skilled player (1360)
Good attempt. I don't like give no vote for nobody..I prefer to abstain me from voting. think you should watching more combo videos to improve more the your moviment during the run, you used the Xcopy but forgot of the combos...and a tip: after you win the fight must hold punch or kick during passage screen( of the fighters) so you'll get to go more fast. Twelve, oro, dudley have good glitches. Use a 2p match: gouki or Urien vs 11 can be crazy this match. Use the glitch "red parry". there are others glitches but I don't remember now xD Try create new link for combos or repeat the existing. Twelve is a great fighter if you wanna use it, So try to explore it I'm sure you can ;)
whatever worth doing, is worth doing well
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
SDR wrote:
Good attempt. I don't like give no vote for nobody..I prefer to abstain me from voting. think you should watching more combo videos to improve more the your moviment during the run, you used the Xcopy but forgot of the combos...and a tip: after you win the fight must hold punch or kick during passage screen( of the fighters) so you'll get to go more fast. Twelve, oro, dudley have good glitches. Use a 2p match: gouki or Urien vs 11 can be crazy this match. Use the glitch "red parry". there are others glitches but I don't remember now xD Try create new link for combos or repeat the existing. Twelve is a great fighter if you wanna use it, So try to explore it I'm sure you can ;)
This red parry definitely opens up some opportunities. I do watch some combo videos. I try to replicate what they do such moves shown but I get blocked or it ignores my input however the combo video's does not. That's my only issue I ever face in fighting games. Most notable that people with can do multiple attacks with Necro's Tornado Hook, but I can only do one. Is there a glitch of some sort I'm missing ?
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... sweet!
Woops, does is still need an encode?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
feos wrote:
Woops, does is still need an encode?
Just for the hell of it I guess... or plain out just for curiosity?
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4139)
I'm still curious to see Cooljay's attempt, cancelled or not. An encode would be much more convenient for watching.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Okay, doing a fast one.
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
Uncanceling, because there seems to be some yes votes, and interest in this TAS. Not to mention I am a bit quick to make one person's opinion influence my judgement of whether it's good or not.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
I didn't like this run. I never liked Omega Red as a character, and a minor variation is no exception, still seems stupid. This is Street Fighter? Other than Ryu, no classic characters were seen. As far as the play itself, it seemed rather boring to me. Our good fighting TASs have these huge combo chains and amazing human vs. human fights, or tons of glitch exploits. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I was waiting for something awesome to happen the entire run, and it just never did.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
I also agree with Nach that this run just isn't very entertaining . It could've used some 2 player fights, good comboes, and other good stuff like in our published fighting runs. It just seemed like some guy defeating the enemies. Voted no.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
A 3rd Strike run would be better suited to combo-centric characters--Despite XCOPY, most other characters are more interesting to watch than Twelve. No vote.
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
TheReflexWonder wrote:
A 3rd Strike run would be better suited to combo-centric characters--Despite XCOPY, most other characters are more interesting to watch than Twelve. No vote.
I agree despite this being my own submission. With X-Copy there is a lack of EX or Super Arts that can be used as launcher for juggles. Also you have to build up the enemies stun just before launching. Ending up to cost either your SA power as an X-Copied character or being Twelve 3/4 of the match. Even DevilAzite's Run of Twelve shows that. It starts to get good, but then it's over
Noxxa
They/Them
Nach wrote:
I didn't like this run. <snip> As far as the play itself, it seemed rather boring to me. Our good fighting TASs have <snip> and amazing human vs. human fights, or <snip>. Maybe I'm spoiled, but <snip>
This is more a problem with the game itself, which can't really be avoided. Any time a second player joins the game, it resets back to fight one after finishing the player match, which means that all AI rounds have to be done without interruptions to finish the game. I suppose that at best, a TAS could contain a few player vs. player fights in the beginning and then go through all of arcade mode. But then the AI fights might possibly grow boring anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
Nach wrote:
..or tons of glitch exploits. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I was waiting for something awesome to happen the entire run, and it just never did.
There is not many glitches in this that are game breaking per say. Only one I know of is that of notable use is with good timing that you can super cancel total destruction activate MP from HCBMK without MK+MP. Normally if you get it wrong it will show his miss animation. Great for fake outs There are various others but they are so minor that it wouldn't be seen or noticed. Rest of it just leads up to gameplay mechanics and Timing to do what you want.
Was pretty boring to watch. I think 2nd Impact would be a better game to do a TAS cause the Engine is much more open for combos. There is a lot of stuff that works in 2I that does not work in 3S. Also "Known for its massive juggle combos" is a lie. Only few characters have juggle combos that make sense and it's never been known for juggles. No vote.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Actually, I rather liked this one. It's not a combofest, but it does a darn good job at ridiculing the opponents. There's some nice style, particularly with the finishing blows at ends of rounds. I especially liked the Hugo fight. This is the first playaround on SFIII that I'm voting Yes on. There may be some improvements, but there's still a fairly solid run which demonstrates a lot of parrying.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Active player (434)
Seriously,cooljay,don't rush your work.Take your time to learn and play the game you are TAing.If you aren't able to do combovideo stuff with tas in normal gameplay,then shit just hasn't got real yet. when i saw the xcopy oro i imagined "here comes a big loop with the jumping move" and you just juggled with the uppercut.Does it take Ex or a specific character to do it? Felt bad,felt bad,man.
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
Noxxa
They/Them
Honestly, I thought it was pretty bad. There were very few combo's; way too many single hits, too many sweeps/knockdowns, too many throws. The latter two are slowing down the pace (especially Twelve's rather lengthy throw animation), and the single hits are not interesting to look at. The audience wants combos, and the run was very disappointing in that regard. I don't think I've seen anything larger than a 5 hit combo, and those usually consisted of multiple-hit moves. Have you seen DevilAzite's Twelve TAS? It shows clearly that there's a lot more to be had out of Third Strike - more entertaining combo's, juggles, and all those things. Are you even playing the same game as this video here?
Yeah, so much for being optimistic. It's definitely a bad TAS. With 12, you should be instant air dashing all over the place. And when you x-copy, you shouldn't just show off each character's special moves one at a time. Try to actually do some difficult combos.