Submission Text Full Submission Page
FCEU (for some reason, i can't get Famtasia to work. i don't know what the deal is)
no warps, no passwords.
Abuses:
  • the tank battle. theres a glitch where you get hit by it and can walk right through it.
  • the supercomputer battle. theres a glitch where as soon as you enter the room, you hold right and it will take you to the final battle with Big Boss without having set off the timer.
  • the Transciever/Item Reappearing trick where you call on the transciever and then when you come back to the game, items such as Rations and Ammo will be replaced.
  • none other that i am aware of, but i could be wrong.
i take damage in several areas to get through the areas quickly. gun fire is usually not wanted, but that opening level of the jungle is a toughie and i couldnt figure out the right key combos to make them just sit there. damage on heat panels and underground water facility are on purpose (see me getting all those rations). gas rooms are not on purpose, but its expected to take damage at least once in a gas room due to timing. i do NOT use death at all.
i am for best time and least amount of items picked up. this does not mean i aim for only grabbing enough to suffice, as the ammo carries over to different weapons usually. i do use a low amount of grenades and rockets though. i also save as few hostages as possible (just enough to get to 4 star rank, i think thats 15). no 100% kills or items.
Metal Gear, in its NES form, is no longer as stealthy as it was on the MSX. the idea of sneaking around is aborted in some places almost entirely because of enemy and camera placement.
making the movie was tough because i had to adjust several times to FCEU from VirtuaNES. but other than a few continuity problems, it was easy. the key combos make it that way. and i knew the route perfectly by now. if someone can improve on it, id love to see it. im not really sure what to take out or what to do differently. i didnt save Grey Fox because he doesn't shut the hell up for like 45 seconds. Pettrovich and Building 4 are obsolete because you don't need to save him to beat the game with the glitch. any other questions, feel free to PM me. i will try to answer your questions as best i can.
my user name is /*-, changed upon request by bisqwit.

Bisqwit: I'm interested to hear what did you change from your previous submission. You didn't respond to my comments either.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #383: slash_star_dash's NES Metal Gear in 33:42.93
Former player
1 - i sent the one i tested out to get a feel for the game with. im sorry about that. 2 - the nickname was and is /*-. you said you wanted something to pronounce. well, okie doke. 3 - well, sorry... i won't boast.
Editor, Active player (296)
/*- wrote:
3 - well, sorry... i won't boast.
But nothing actually changed? Let's see...
Former player
Um...you used an overdumped rom. That's strictly against the rules here. Just to let you know for the future, use GoodNES and its various siblings if you're not sure what specific rom you have. Also there seemed to be a lot of minor mistakes in the movie. I don't know Metal Gear very well, but you appeared to make unnecessary movements and be rather slow with the menus. You miss a couple shots as well, and the boss fights are rather suboptimal from what I can tell. Just curious, is that extremely low rerecord count accurate? If so then this is an impressive movie, but that's not what we're aiming for here. We seek to achieve perfection, and this video looks like it falls far short of that. However, I appreciate your knowledge of the game and enjoyed your glitch abuse. This movie is a solid base, improve upon it and you'll certainly end up with something worthy. -Josh
but then you take my 75 perchance chance of winning, if we was to go one-on-one, and then add 66 and two-thirds ch...percents...i got a 141 and two-thirds chance of winning at sacrifice
Former player
Um...you used an overdumped rom.
didnt know it was. ive had the rom forever though.
Just curious, is that extremely low rerecord count accurate?
yup. woulda been a helluva lot less too if id remembered to hold down certain directions to keep continuity up.
However, I appreciate your knowledge of the game and enjoyed your glitch abuse. This movie is a solid base, improve upon it and you'll certainly end up with something worthy.
actually, if someone wants to use it as reference, by all means do so. i KNOW im not gonna get much better than that. just seeing what everyone thought.
Former player
I think the main obstacle is that you're looking to use as few rerecords as possible with no slowdown, while we hope you use as much of each as necessary to produce the best result.
Former player
its not just that. i have other things going on as well. this is the best i could produce as it took a good while to eliminate everything possible. ive layed the ground work. surely one of these monolithic players can step up and do me one better, cant they?
the movie played fine for me with the normal usa non-overdumped rom...I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and think it should be published...I have always wanted to see a Metal Gear time attack...And, I do not think I am the only one here...Metal Gear is right up there with Strider as one of my topmost favorite nes games...great music, gameplay...It has everything going for it...And, it is a great time passer to watch the game being beaten almost flawlessly...Many time attacks published here are often replaced after time with better optimized ones...So, I think, in this case...this Metal Gear Time Attack may be great for inspiration in competition...I voted a Hell Yeah for it to be published...If not, many will lose out on a great movie...
Player (70)
Hmm... I found this movie kinda boring and it had to large flaws. I have never really played this game. But the mistakes were obvious to anyone. Menu navigation was too slow. Inexact moving. Missing shots. And also you kill those two gunners (where you use grenades). Why is that? Seems like you only would need to kill one of them. Some times you avoid enemies, some times you take detours to stun them or kill them. Doesn't seem logical. This was not entertaining enough. There for I'm going to vote no.
Former player
Menu navigation was too slow. noted. didnt use the slow down feature (which bisqwit told me not to boast about). Inexact moving. noted. sometimes, such as the bridge, its necessary. other times, its my mistake. but mostly i know what im doing as far as trying to set myself up for the next screen. Missing shots. yup. prolly a slow down thing as well. And also you kill those two gunners (where you use grenades). Why is that? Seems like you only would need to kill one of them. have to kill both of them (Twin Shot BTW). if you only kill one and enter the room for the hostage, they will come back (both of them). Some times you avoid enemies, some times you take detours to stun them or kill them. Doesn't seem logical. this is the best way i could think of... sometimes its necessary to kill them to progress quickly. sometimes it could take too long, so a simple stun would work. and other times they can be avoided for about the same cost of time.
Player (70)
Good answers. Hmm. Would it be possible to take more damage then in order to cut the time down a bit more? Like walk through certein enemies etc. Supposivly those gunners. Just walk straight through, rescue the hostage and walk back out?
Former player
Good answers. Hmm. Would it be possible to take more damage then in order to cut the time down a bit more?
yuppers. done and done. im replaying the movie now to ensure that it works (new time of 31.01 with rerecord of 382). the only problem is the menu scrolling may still be a little slow. i take like one extra shot in one place. im using a different ROM as well (im not sure its GoodNES or not). HOWEVER!! -most of the movement has been cleaned up (i think) -i waste no bullets (damn coward duck and his 11 HP...kept throwin me off) -enemies are more often avoided. i kill a bit more so as not to waste time punching in one area. i alert guards but make it through quicker and with no damage (after several tries). other various things of the like. id like to think ive cleaned up the menu a good deal this time. it won't be perfect for 2 reasons: 1 - im on FCEU and theres no slow down feature (at least one that i know of) 2 - i am FREEZING! seriously, when the rerecord count seems higher, just know a lot of it prolly came from the ARNOLD fight and me trying to not get hit and time things out correctly (this fight is more sloppy). and those sound like cop outs, but i seriously am freezing. -i also grab less ammunition (seeing as how Twin Shots can be avoided) -same amount of rations (just spread out differently. 2 at the beginning and then 12 before the underwater part). theres also a glitch in the machine gun kid battle. if i go into equip, it stops his firing and i can pass through more quickly. oh, and about getting caught on purpose to get to the solitary cell: it seems to be a random thing. if i move up a bit and then proceed to get caught (you'll see it, as soon as i enter the truck, i try and go up or down a hair) it speeds the text up a great deal. the guard doesnt look around then talk then look around and then talk again. but it seems random now as before, going up a bit did the trick. but this time it was going down a bit that did it. lastly, i see some continuity errors. small little stops. half seconds and even less, but enough to know its a mistake. and this cost me a second or so when in front of building 2 and the guards are talking about LETS GO IN anyways, when im done looking it over, ill resubmit unless anyone has any objections. i know, its somewhat boring. could this work more as a demonstration piece of some sort? oh, and major apologies once more about the 3 second submission the other day.
Former player
To affect the speed of FCEU, hit the "dash" key to slow it down and the "equal sign" key to speed it up. Another useful feature is to display the frame count of your movie, which is toggled with Backspace. Just offering a few hints, Josh.
but then you take my 75 perchance chance of winning, if we was to go one-on-one, and then add 66 and two-thirds ch...percents...i got a 141 and two-thirds chance of winning at sacrifice
Former player
To affect the speed of FCEU, hit the "dash" key to slow it down and the "equal sign" key to speed it up. thanks. it wasn't here: http://tasvideos.org/UsingEmulatorTools.html so i figured there was no way to do that. dammit... looks like im redoin it once more this evening then. that'd leave the one last gripe of movements. if anyone wants to point out a specific moment where i foul up royally, please do so i know what to try and avoid. things like moving left a half step and then continuing on your normal route are necessary in some places (jungles, bridge, some screen to screen). but if theres something that just looks horribly wrong, point it out. and thanks once more for that. should help a great deal in the menus as well as trying not to make subtle movements after texts. question for Highness (or anyone who has their own opinion): why is it boring? is it just not the type of game you like to watch or what? i just want to be thorough so i dont end up doing these until christmas. EDIT: HOLY CRAP! ok... i see what you guys are getting at about the time on the menus. damn...i can barely tell what i select when i go there...amazing. this is gonna be some hellafun when i get home. cant wait to see all the new stuff i can find out with this. *pathetic dance in his mind as the gerbil looks on as if to say "WTF!?"*
/*- wrote:
i see what you guys are getting at about the time on the menus.
Watch Uninvited, and you understand even better :)
Former player
Remember, do not be afraid of getting many rerecords, a movie which is like half an hour should have thousands of rereocrds. Actually, many rereocords is a good way to show that you have taken your time to maximaze the run. Use slowdown and more rerecords, try to go faster and don't worry about guards attacking you, you can dodge the bullets with slow motion and rerecords. You could also possibly drop the "take no hits" concept to save more time, for example going through guards or not having to walk around the deep water in the sewers. You can also shoot the mines even if you can't see them, so you can just walk stright and fire, and not waste time by walking around them. You possibly don't need the silencer, it may make it a bit harder to avoid guards, but, the tools help you again there. Work a bit harder on the menus, and perfecting the movements, and I'm sure you'll see your name and "Metal gear" on the front page in a few days.
Former player
Yeah, please use many rerecords. I've seen just one (I think ) movie published where the number of rerecords is under 500. I've played a game where I've used up over 500 in 1 second of gametime. While the number of rerecords you use by no means affects whether or not your movie will be accepted, the greater is usually better. I would prefer a movie done thirty seconds faster with 10000 extra rerecords.
Former player
bisqwit: never even heard of that game before emu. ill check it out when i get home. Remember, do not be afraid of getting many rerecords, a movie which is like half an hour should have thousands of rereocrds. most of my rerecords come from doing the same part over and over due to continuity problems (forgetting to hold a certain button down when continuing, etc). and there are some random variables that seem to effect each attempt differently. the one i just redid before learning of the slow down feature had around 350 rerecords (its gone however as i wanted to test out the slow mo momentarily). you can dodge the bullets with slow motion and rerecords. sometimes. sometimes i cant make snake move quickly enough (jungle opener with 2 guards.) You could also possibly drop the "take no hits" concept to save more time, for example going through guards or not having to walk around the deep water in the sewers. nice idea. should help in the sewers. still, i dont want it to look like im just running through enemies. there are some very tight spots im thinking of off hand where avoiding gunfire is damn tough and im not sure if itd save more time or just be 100+ rerecords with the same result. You can also shoot the mines even if you can't see them, so you can just walk stright and fire, and not waste time by walking around them. never knew that. should shave some time off as well. hope they blow up or something so no one thinks im wasting bullets. You possibly don't need the silencer, it may make it a bit harder to avoid guards, but, the tools help you again there. i had originally thought of this. but timewise, its a second or so to grab the silencer (i know, a second is a lifetime). it would definitely make the game more difficult. thanks again for the tips, Tarzan!
Former player
I like what I've seen so far, although I'm not as familiar with this game as other people seem to be. What's the advantage to rescuing hostages? It seems safe to ignore some, but not others? In the current submission, you end up with extra rations. Can that be avoided? Missed shots/movement - I think others have said enough. Keep at it, SlashStarDash ^_^
Do Not Talk About Feitclub http://www.feitclub.com
Former player
What's the advantage to rescuing hostages? It seems safe to ignore some, but not others? you need to rescue 15 to get to rank . at rank 4, you can get the rocket launcher necessary for beating 2 bosses. not to mention extended health and ammo. the ones i dont save are likely after i get a rank 4. these are of no use as they provide you with nothing (unless you have a messiah complex). the one i missed early on after being placed under arrest was the CRUCIAL grey fox (crucial to story, nothing else). he DOES NOT shut the hell up and wastes a good 45 seconds. therefore, i recalculated and avoided him in lue of saving the other guy beneath the Arnold (twins who run at you) room. In the current submission, you end up with extra rations. Can that be avoided? yes. its very likely. i may end up with one more at games end. but it seems to take about 8 up and back on the water route regardless (including heat panel and boss battle). from here, it depends on how much health i have left as to how many ill need for the final heat panel before the BIG BOSS (final boss). it usually takes 1-2, 2 being the most likely. so thats around 10. im iffy about only grabbing that many as i do not trust the variables as much as id like to near end game. but i can work with it and see what i get. Missed shots/movement - I think others have said enough. yes, ive fixed that as well. seeing as how i only faced 4 of the 9/10 (depends on if you count supercomputer as it merely sits there and looks pretty while you blow it up) bosses, i have the HP count down now: shotgunner: 10 bullets bulltank: 8 grenades coward duck: 11 bullets big boss: 10 rockets so next game should be fairly easy, especially on slow down.
Keep at it, SlashStarDash ^_^
(and id been going as forwardslash_asterik_minus in my mind... ha, thanks for the abbreviated and much cooler version). see bisqwit, you CAN pronounce my nickname (teeheehee).
/*- wrote:
see bisqwit, you CAN pronounce my nickname (teeheehee).
But I can't put it into a filename, because / is a directory separator.
Former player
SlashStarDash (thanks Feitclub! =P) - Just to let you know, Nintendorecords.com is offering $100 for a Metal Gear timeattack (yes, with slowdown and the whole deal). Two caveats, though: 1. The period expires at the end of this month. So, basically, you'll have up through this weekend and that's it. 2. They ban the computer-skipping glitch (none of the others, though). So, if you plan to do this, you should make two versions of this movie: The one for Nintendorecords, and one for this site which uses the computer glitch. Oh, the man to e-mail when you're done is ziplock@nintendorecords.com. And he, too, requires that you zip your movie file. Just lettin' ya know, Josh.
Former player
They ban the computer-skipping glitch SuperComputer? or are we talking all of them? i really dont wanna do anymore battles than i need. but thanks for the info. ill prolly have tons of competition now. hahaha. but first things first. the resubmission of my original. ill get to that soon. dammit, im so tempted to leave here and get home to do it.
Former player
Yeah, just the supercomputer one near the end of the game. Everything else is A-OK. Good luck, Josh.
figures, many requests for a metal gear time attack..and the one person who does one...gets it rejected...It is a game that requires mucho planning...hopefully his final revision won't be rejected as badly as this one...