[Quote from my last submission ^^] Hey! Before beginning, please forget me for my English, 'cause I'm French! This game was my favorite video game, since I was 8yo! Then, when I saw MattyXB's run, I told to myself "I've to do it!" So this run has to be better than hims ^^ It's only the beginning of the game I'll show you, because I'm making it only for some days. I created the movie some months ago, but it was just for testing the emulator, and try to understand the frames and others things. That's why the name of the creator of the movie file is Sarriel (it's the nickname I use on online games like Diablo 3 ^^). And after i saw that i did the best first fight I can, I continued to play with this movie. I want to say that I don't want to beat the run he did with warps and others, but the perfect run he did (1:33:09.43), without bug, doing all bosses. I think it will be the only run I'll make, then I want to do a perfect one, not a cheated! So, after some hours of playing, I realized that the beginning is exactly the same as MattyXB's, until some screens after Bogard's house. After this, the run became different than hims, 'cause I prefer to kill more monsters than Matty :) [/Quote from y last submission ^^]
Then… I don’t know what to do, so I’ll make a list of some whiles of the run :
The harder Boss fight : I think it was the first fight against Julius, with his clones. This fight was very hard because they are very fast, and they cast their Nuke-spells very often, then it’s very hard to move, hit them without being hit! It took me a long while to complete this fight.
NOTE : Oh God! I don't know how I could forget that, but the harder Boss fight wasn't agaisnt Julius 1st, but against Dark Lord! His hitbox is very strange, and fighting him was very annoying ><
The easier Boss fight : Julius 3rd! He has only one attack, easy to avoid, he doesn’t move, and we know where he will appear. Very annoying fight. :/
My favorite Boss fight : Davias. Very fun battle, ‘cause I like to fight with the chain, I love the music, avoiding fireballs was very fun, like all this battle =)
The most annoying monster(s) : Damn! They were Eye and Whirlwind-men! Each screen with these monsters was very hard, and needed to be manipulate, because they were always on the path I’d to take, and I lost a lot of frames because of them!
My favorite monsters : The Turtles of Floatrocks. They were fun to kill =)
The most annoying room : The room where I need to freeze two soldiers (in the Bone Cave). It was very long to get the good config’. The first time I did it, I was very happy, but later, I realized that I did a big mistake earlier in the cave, then I’d to retry almost all the dungeon, and, this room. I really wanted to break my keyboard… ^^
The harder dungeon : The Ice Cave! This horrible Ice Cave! >< Very hard because almost all rooms have an only path to go to the next room, and very often, monsters are on this path, and don’t want to move! Poke to the Snowman in the room with the bridge… I really hated him!
The easier dungeon : Strangely, it was Mana Temple. I almost never manipulated a room. Only the Dragons were hard to fight.
Sometimes, we can see somethings who look like errors. Of course, there were no errors! An exemple… During the fight against the Mantis Ant, there is a while where I don’t move or attack. Of course it was possible, but it was the only way I found to manipulate him. If it was going to the bottom of the screen, I would loose time, then, I preferred to loose about 20 frames, to keep it at the top of the screen and kill it faster.
In all the run, I lost frames to manipulate the rooms, simply because I don’t know if it’s possible to do by another way! If you know, I would be happy to ear it ^^
You’ll see that some battles are the same than Matty’s. It’s because he uses the faster way to kill these bosses! Megapede is an example. There is only one place to be to hit him, and one way to hit him as often as possible, then, our battles are the same! Same thing for the Metal Crab or Julius 3rd.

Edit: To answer to KwyjiboPrime : I don't remember all the places I won or loose frames, but i can tell you some of them.
When I fight the Hydra, I could kill it when it was a the bottom of the screen. Matty had to wait it came back in the middle of the screen, and during it was moving, Matty couldn't hit the Hydra, then, he lost a lot of frames on this fight. This is the same thing on some bosses like Julius 3rd. If you play the movie, you can see that i hit him 2-3 frames before he disappears. Then he lose some HP, and the fight is faster.
Other bosses were manipulated very well (and very hardly). The mantis never comes to the bottom of the screen. It costs me some frames to do that, but killing it is faster. Then, i preferred to do it. And I think it's better to do a perfectly-manipulated fight. Same thing for the Kraken. It never attacks me, 'cause i manipulate it. One again, I "pay" some frames, to make the fight shorter. And after the fight, I begin to walk on the spikes. But I get my lvl 1 frame before dying, then I get all y HP and I can cross the spikes. Matty waited before walking on the spikes, then I got 8 frames :p
My main method to win frames was by killing the monsters. I always tried to kill monsters by doing something else. By exemple, when I break a wall, I try to kill a monster by the attack of the Star (or the mattock), or during the wall is exploding. I do that a lot of time in Floatrocks, because I've to use the Star very often, then I try to kill a turtle when breaking the rocks.
The other method is to kill more than one monster by hit. With the Star or the chain, it's very easy. I prefer to lose some frames to manipulate the room and having two monsters to kill by the same hit. That's why I get my lvlups faster. And being more powerful allows me to get back the time I loose when i was lvling-up.
For the one who want to try a run... Here is some tips ;) When you want to select an item (or a weapon) : Move the finger on it. Wait 5 frames, push A, wait 9 frames, push A. If it's a weapon, keep B pushed just after the 2nd A.
When you lvl up : When all is displayed : wait 1 frames and Push A. This will display "Select your growth type", but 1 frame before the message is fully displayed, the word "growth" is cut in half. This is the moment to push A. After the finger appears on "Power", wait 5 frames and push A. After the fingers appears on YES, wait 6 frames and push A. After all the new info is displayed, wait 6 frames, push A.
I tell it because it's very annoying to search this method. For the other tips, I prefer that challengers search by themselves =) It's the lovely side of making a TAS ;)
Using the RAM Watch is very useful, I used it to know the ennemies and bosses HP. Then I manipulated the boss fights to make the Boss' HP as lower as possible, to save frames.
If someone needs advices, or help, you can PM me on the forum.
To finish, I’ll only say that I hope that someone will beat my record, to retry =) But not too fast please ^^
NOTE : The emulator is VBA-rr-svn421 NOTE 2 : I don't know why, but Matty's submission is not totally finished. The movie ends while the speech of the Mother. Then, I finished to record mine exactly at the same moment (2 frames after the last points appears). NOTE 3 : Oh God! I don't know why I forgot that, but the harder

Nach: Judging.

Nach: I am replacing the movie file with another one from the author which properly completes the game.

Nach: I am replacing the movie file again, see the thread for more information.

Nach: It took a while to get the proper movie file, but finally, we have it. Nice improvement. Accepting as improvement to existing run.

natt: processing
LAST NOTE : After watching the entiere movie I've only one thing to say... I'll make another TAS of this game in some months/years : There are still too many errors !! ;)
See you next time :D
I hope you'll enjoy to watch this movie : Have fun ;)
EDIT 2023 : Known as Verdant, now ;)

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3697: Atomnium's GB Final Fantasy Adventure "Warpless" in 1:32:55.97
Skilled player (1706)
I look forward to an encode. Atomnium, can you please describe all the major differences between your run and the currently published glitchless run to get your 14-second difference? Also, you probably want to change the title of your submission to get rid of "Perfect Run". If SMB and SM64 are any indicators of perfection, we know that it's a fleeting dream, hahaha.
jlun2 wrote:
What do you mean by "Perfect Run"?
Atomnium wrote:
I dont want to beat the run he did with warps and others, but the perfect run he did (1:33:09.43), without bug, doing all bosses.
This one I guess -> http://tasvideos.org/552M.html He said that on the first paragraph BTW... so I think he means a "warpless" run rather than "perfect".
Skilled player (1706)
Zavalix wrote:
He said that on the first paragraph BTW... so I think he means a "warpless" run rather than "perfect".
Oh. I thought he actually believed the run was absolutely flawless and unimprovable:
TASVideoAgent wrote:
Sometimes, we can see somethings who look like errors. Of course, there were no errors!
Player (76)
I don't think that it's flawless! But by perfect run, i mean warpless, hitless, doing all bosses... And if i'm faster thant Matty's, this is because on some fights, like Hydra, i'm faster. I've 1 lvl more than him until the last part of the game, then i kill monsters and bosses faster than him. Or sometimes, i manipulate PNJ, like Chocobo or the man in the Marsh Cave, better than him. At final, I did a faster run than Matty, and this is what I wanted :) If you really want, I'll change the title of the run.
Sounds like the run should be marked as "warpless 100%", with a sub-goal of "takes no damage".
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Atomnium wrote:
I don't think that it's flawless! But by perfect run, i mean warpless, hitless, doing all bosses... And if i'm faster thant Matty's, this is because on some fights, like Hydra, i'm faster. I've 1 lvl more than him until the last part of the game, then i kill monsters and bosses faster than him. Or sometimes, i manipulate PNJ, like Chocobo or the man in the Marsh Cave, better than him. At final, I did a faster run than Matty, and this is what I wanted :) If you really want, I'll change the title of the run.
Ok, so in your submission text, you can say, "At frame X, I got an extra level. This costs me Y frames, but I save Z frames total due to quicker battles". Just helpful pieces of info to help quantify how you got your faster time. And please do change the title. Even if the run gets published, it won't be published with that title. Like all things in life, the more clearly you say something and with justification, then the more accepted it will become.
Player (76)
I edited my submission text like you asked me :)
Atomnium wrote:
I edited my submission text like you asked me :)
Maybe ''warpless, no damage'' would be better branch.
Player (76)
I can't write "No damages" 'cause I've to lose HP at two moments of the game. Then, I prefer to write "Take no damages", meaning "Never hit by a monster".
Thanks, I like your edits. I'm waiting for an encode, but this sounds good. If you want, you can just title it "GB Final Fantasy Adventure". Then in the submission text, you state your goals: - Aims for fastest in-game (or real) time - Abuses glitches - No deaths - No damage - No warps - 100% items/bosses - Manipulates luck Whatever actually applies to the game. Hope that helps, and look forward to seeing more of your work.
http://youtu.be/B9PAa32s1ec temporary encode
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
Finally got around to watching this movie. Having this game myself it's fun to play however it's not very fun to watch. Music gets repetitive, Lengthy walking segments and dialog, All bosses have similar fight tactics. Nothing really new is shown in this TAS as it progresses. You can literally watch only 5 minutes of this to expect what happens throughout. Maybe warps might be better for a game like this, but should be some WIP's first. As for my vote on this TAS. I vote No. an hour and a half is too much for this type of game.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Cooljay wrote:
Finally got around to watching this movie. Having this game myself it's fun to play however it's not very fun to watch. Music gets repetitive, Lengthy walking segments and dialog, All bosses have similar fight tactics. Nothing really new is shown in this TAS as it progresses. You can literally watch only 5 minutes of this to expect what happens throughout. Maybe warps might be better for a game like this, but should be some WIP's first. As for my vote on this TAS. I vote No. an hour and a half is too much for this type of game.
I agree with all of the above, but give a yes due to being an improvement (even though its fairly small)
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Player (76)
Cooljay, i unerstand what you mean, and i agree. Even for me, looking this is very long and finish to become boring. But i did it for the game, not for the result, even i want to get the record. Then, i think that voting NO for the reasons you told isn't fair, because you're not judging this tas, but the game which isn't make to be TASed. Then I hope that your vote will not make my TAS being refused ^^
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
Atomnium wrote:
Cooljay, i unerstand what you mean, and i agree. Even for me, looking this is very long and finish to become boring. But i did it for the game, not for the result, even i want to get the record. Then, i think that voting NO for the reasons you told isn't fair, because you're not judging this tas, but the game which isn't make to be TASed. Then I hope that your vote will not make my TAS being refused ^^
The tech quality is quite high in this TAS and you did indeed not take damage as you claim.The lacking in the entertainment did affect my interest in the run. However Since it did beat the current run then my vote should be yes instead on the grounds that it's indeed faster.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
Does this movie even beat the previous movie? MattyXB's movie when played back on older versions of VBA as it was recorded with completes the game and has the credits role. This movie does not. I checked both movies at the moment Julius is defeated in their respective emulators, and it seems MattyXB's movie beats him faster. Am I missing something? In any case, if this movie were to be accepted, it needs to complete the game far enough to get the credits to roll. Atomnium can you fix your movie file?
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Player (76)
Yes, my movie is faster than hims. And if I dont play until the end of the credits, that's because Matty doesn't it. Then, i stopped exactly at the same moment of the game, because i dont want to miss the record. If I'm sure to get the record even if I finish the movie, I'll do it. Can a moderator tell me about that? Thx :) The fight against Julius... Matty does the firts fight faster than me, the 2nd, we're equal, and the 3rd, I'm faster ;)
Skilled player (1706)
Atomnium wrote:
Yes, my movie is faster than hims. And if I dont play until the end of the credits, that's because Matty doesn't it. Then, i stopped exactly at the same moment of the game, because i dont want to miss the record. If I'm sure to get the record even if I finish the movie, I'll do it. Can a moderator tell me about that? Thx :) The fight against Julius... Matty does the firts fight faster than me, the 2nd, we're equal, and the 3rd, I'm faster ;)
Any reason why the first fight was slower? Also, I haven't seen the previous run, but does MattyXB's input file manage to get the credits to roll? If so, I think it's fair you do the same. :P
Player (76)
Matty was very lucky with the location of the clones. They were very near from each other, and it was easier fot him to hit several clones with one hit. About the roll, look at his submission, you'll see that it's not finishing at the end of the credits. And to be fair, I stopped mine exactly at the same moment. ;) Then, if i'm sure to keep the record even my video becomes longer because of rolling credits, I'll do it of course! But I don't understand why he didn't that. EDIT : I've just seen the video on youtube. In fact, he really rolls credits, but on the movie file of his submission, this is not that. Then, after working, I'll do it :) but that means his playing time of 1:33:09 isn't the good time because it's the duration of the movie file (ending while talking to the mother)
Probably what happened is that the encoder pushed a button for him to go to the credits. Anyway, things like this should not be considered when deciding which run is faster. If your run gets to the credits faster than Matty's run, then your run should "win". Having a longer listed time because your run includes the credits and his doesn't shouldn't matter.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
I encoded the main video for the previous run, I did not push any button to get the credits to roll. I imagine the playback may be different from VBA version to version, so it some versions it doesn't get to the credits. See what I said earlier. You must complete the game to the point of the credits rolling.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Demon_Lord
He/Him
It would have been nice for the viewer (me) if you could have spent one more frame to give the girl a different name I enjoyed the movie :-)
Player (76)
When I started the run, I was not thinking I'd beat the record with 13.5s. If I had, I think I would have give a name to the characters. But it's a big loss of time :/ Giving a name to a character costs about 5s (300 frames :/) Thanks for having enjoyed the movie :) It's nice to read that :) EDIT : Today, I had no time to finish it (thanks boss...). Maybe tomorrow =)