(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
I've been wanting to get a TAS of TWW out, and I know you all want one. This may not be what you've been expecting :P
Dolphin Version: 3.0-766-dirty
  • This TAS starts with a blank Memory Card, mainly my preference for playback instead of having to make a blank file every time.
  • The chosen name is of course the fastest, I delete the character after pressing start just for fun, it doesn't affect the game at all.
  • Sidehop, then backflip off the tower saves 2 frames over the previously used 2 sidehops.
  • The superswim goes to Forsaken Fortress. While in this quadrant, time advances very quickly (1 in-game minute per frame).
  • I perform another superswim and leave the quadrant at the beginning of night (18:00)
  • The superswim takes me to Windfall Island.
  • The superswim right after entering the quadrant is to allow the island to load.
  • Because it is night, the cutscene for entering Windfall is glitched because of a different set of actors. This causes the cutscene to end early and the "Windfall Island" label to be left up.
  • Talking to the mailbox while in this glitched cutscene causes the game to softlock. The game no longer accepts any inputs and it is impossible to finish the conversation with the mailbox, which never pops up.
This is pretty much it. The Japanese version was used purely because of faster text, which imo is more important than being able to read it because the lower time is better when most, if not all, people aren't watching for the text during the intro.
The primary glitch in this is the superswim. Every frame link turns around in the water, his velocity gets higher, going backwards. My frame-by-frame chart of it can be seen here: [dead link removed]

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Skilled player (1706)
Too bad the majority of the movie was cutscenes and dialogue, otherwise, it could've been funny.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Why is the input file length misreported? Anyway, the payoff was hilarious, but there's WAY too much build-up.
Previous Name: boct1584
Player (33)
TWW runs at 60 VPS, but at 30 FPS (It may be the other way around). I actually think I left some blank input at the end of the .dtm too, I'll have to fix that.
IronSlayer wrote:
Your counterargument would be like me saying that the Earth is round and then you telling me that I need to show it's flat so I can "prove us all wrong".
Seems legit.
I'm sorry, can you please explain what the point of this was? All I see is the video being incredibly boring and leading to a mailbox and then the video ending. What is this softlock? Why is it a worthwhile goal? Why, when the text is so ridiculously slow, is it more entertaining in Japanese? This has left me with more confusion then anything else, and as such, I can't even vote because I have no idea what the hell I just watched. Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Player (33)
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin wrote:
I'm sorry, can you please explain what the point of this was? All I see is the video being incredibly boring and leading to a mailbox and then the video ending. What is this softlock? Why is it a worthwhile goal? Why, when the text is so ridiculously slow, is it more entertaining in Japanese? This has left me with more confusion then anything else, and as such, I can't even vote because I have no idea what the hell I just watched. Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Sorry, I must not have been clear about the softlock. The softlock is that whenever you activate the glitched cutscene from entering Windfall Island and talk with the mailbox, you lose all control and the game does not accept input. You cannot stop this "talking with the mailbox" state. The goal is just to see how fast the game can be softlocked. The text is in Japanese because it is faster, so I found it more entertaining that it is a faster time when no one is going to watch the intro anyways. Also, can the file please be replaced with this: http://www.mediafire.com/?4mz1z9v867ys644 ? I took off the extra blank input at the end.
IronSlayer wrote:
Your counterargument would be like me saying that the Earth is round and then you telling me that I need to show it's flat so I can "prove us all wrong".
Seems legit.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
It's an interesting idea, but the result isn't very entertaining (mostly the game intro, cutscenes and building up the superswim). This could only be published as a Moon due to the goal (not any% or 100%), so it would have to be entertaining to be published at all. If we had a Demo tier, though, this could be published there. Also, something has to be done about how the site times runs of GC/Wii games that run at 30 FPS, either including something in the dtm format or in the site code to time these runs correctly.
this could have been a good april first submition... too bad :/
Player (33)
Nicos wrote:
Nah, this isn't good enough for an april first submission. Mine next year will be legit.
IronSlayer wrote:
Seems legit.
Banned User, Former player
Shouldn't TASes, like, finish the game or something? "Fastest crash" does not qualify as a sensible goal IMO.
Player (12)
I always like fastest crash runs, and softlocks are close enough in my book, so I voted Yes. However, after doing so, I considered the possibility of soft-reset (X+B+Start). I can't test it right now, but if it works, then can it really be considered a softlock?
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4139)
I don't see any reason for "fastest crash"-type runs to be worthy of publication. They don't really complete the game. Voting no.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
What is with all this seriousness all of a sudden? I thought this entire website existed for fun. Since when have we become so serious and grumpy? Can someone give an actual argument why this TAS should be declined, other than "it doesn't finish the game"?
CrocRunner42 wrote:
What is with all this seriousness all of a sudden? I thought this entire website existed for fun. Since when have we become so serious and grumpy? Can someone give an actual argument why this TAS should be declined, other than "it doesn't finish the game"?
A nonstandard goal must be justified, not the other way around. Else the site would be overrun with arbitrary things.
Banned User, Former player
CrocRunner42 wrote:
Please don't tell me you created an account just to write that.
Skilled player (1402)
Abahbob wrote:
Nicos wrote:
Nah, this isn't good enough for an april first submission. Mine next year will be legit.
It wouldn't be the first april first submission of a Zelda game that aims to get the fastest softlock. But yeah, if something like this is good enough for an april first submission....
Editor
It's too long of a lead in to be fun. Sorry. I can't justify to my friends, or myself to wait for 5:30 to pass so I can see the glitch get setup then happen.
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
Editor, Experienced player (894)
I think fastest softlocks/crashes are an awesome category. It's an uncommon goal that is difficult or impossible to fulfill in many games, and the ways to get to that goal can be surprising. Much more demanding than runs to game over or something (although the two are conceptually related). ...It's just that TASvideos probably won't accommodate these type of runs. It would be nice if there was a some sort of listing for them, though, even a sister site for these sub-categories, or whatnot. Refraining from voting... until someone starts TAFSoCoGOSvideos.org (tool-assisted fastest softlock or crash or game over superplays videos), and that's when I vote yes
Player (26)
I think this is not entertaining, and that the goal is too arbitrary.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong (which I doubt), but as I recall, TASVideos rules state you must either beat the game, or cause a condition which makes the game display the credits and/or "The End" screen some way, such that the game is clearly definable as having been cleared: in other words, you must do SOMETHING that can be counted as "beating the game." This run does not beat the game in any way, shape or form, and thus, as far as I know, cannot be accepted. Any further opinions I have on the video are therefore irrelevant, as is voting on it.
1/60 of a second is important; every frame matters.
Experienced player (822)
[tag]Is a demonstration [/tag] imo
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Player (26)
mmbossman wrote:
[tag]Is a demonstration [/tag] imo
So was that "mario with minimum button presses", but that didn't got accepted either on account of being too arbitrary and not interesting to watch.
Active player (434)
voted no cause we're so eager for teh full run it hurts
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
Dwedit
He/Him
Cool glitch video! I wonder when we'll see a proper Wind Waker run using that swim glitch? (voted yes)
Player (33)
Dwedit wrote:
I wonder when we'll see a proper Wind Waker run using that swim glitch?
I am slowly (but surely) working on it. I've been going so slowly because of the possibility of barrier skip http://zeldaspeedruns.com/tww/Miscellaneous/barrier-skip. I'll still finish the current TAS if it is found and give it some good goal, like all temples or something, but barrier skip really saps my motivation. Right now I am about 10 minutes into the any% TAS, I won't be releasing a WIP for a while, and idk how many I will release. I will not release WIPs too far into the game, just so it doesn't seem like everything has been seen already.
IronSlayer wrote:
Seems legit.