(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is the Japanese Version of Resident Evil 2 which is known as "Biohazard 2". This is a run of the Leon A Scenario which has two different timings, the In-Game time and the Input time. Input timing is 1:12:13.63 (Frames: 260018) and the In-Game time is 1:13:14. The plugins I used for this run are:
  • Video: Mudlord's Rice Video Build 6.1.4
  • Sound: Jabo's DirectSound 1.6
  • Input: TAS Input Plugin 0.6
  • RSP: RSP emulation Plugin
The recommended video plugin to be used for Resident Evil 2 is the Glide 64 plugin because with the other plugins the ending cutscene won't show. With the Glide 64, in some areas it will have some flickering problems like, when opening doors and climbing ladders, also in some areas of the game, about 2/15 of the screen is taken up by a black screen and the end credits won't show on the screen.
There are some interesting things about this run like, I beat this game on Normal Difficulty, behind the gun shop at the beginning of the game, after the zombies break out of the cage, you'll see that I run towards the zombies, I allow them to grab a hold of me and it will do some damage to me, after they stop eating me I push about 2 zombies out of the way which is much faster than shooting them. I only use the Hand Gun just about 4 times and that is when I enter the bus by killing one zombie that is crawling on the floor (takes 3 shots) and shooting another zombie by wounding it then run past it. Starting in the 1F waiting room, I store the Hand Gun and Knife in the storage chest then go through this game weaponless until the G-Larva battle. The best weapon to use is the Magnum, it takes 6 shots to kill G-Larva with it, 9 shots on G2, and 10 shots on G4.
I would like to thank Aktan for this wonderful encode and Inpachi (A.K.A Vosva), he and I were working on this run together, his inputs are from the beginning to the Leon and Claire Cutscene, but then he allowed me to finish the run because he went out on a vacation so I finished the run myself.
Please Enjoy! :)

feos: A list of improvements was posted about this submission. The size of that list, the relative clarity of improvements (that nevertheless were not implemented in the first place) and the usual peculiarity of finding even more time to save when revising a TAS, tell me that the research and testing put into this submission were still not intense enough.
Being a decent run already, it looks more like a good WIP. Which means, the Author must imbibe the feedback and post better WIPs on forums. He must make sure a TAS he is about to submit is really hard to improve. For now, rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3766: MTA's N64 Resident Evil 2 "Leon A" in 1:12:13.63
Former player
Looks great! Voted yes!
this bring me memories and nightmares too... good game chosen vote yes
Run..Run...Run.....
I had a friend that played so much this game, he was able to extinguish the fire on the helicopter within the 15 minutes of gameplay allowed in the Resident Evil 2 demo. In this video the scene happens at minute 16, so you are probably doing something early on that he could skip. As you visit several times the same corridor in the police station, maybe you could save one trip if you go there after extinguishing the fire. Also, I remember that if you activate some switch, you prevent the zombies from entering through the windows later. As that cutscene takes a lot of seconds, maybe you could save time barring the windows? It's has been maybe 12 years since I last played this game, so you probably have to take too many detours for it to be worth, but I think it doesn't hurt to ask. Finally, I remember one of the first two Resident Evil had a secret that only happened if you never thrown away a key, but I think it was the first one. I'm voting yes to this run. Now I'll have to wait until someone attempts the "Claire B" scenario to see the Tyrant.
No.
Former player
The World record for Leon A (Psx version, anyway) is 1:10:30 by 木魚. idk
Everytime I get home My neighbour's cockroach is in my bed
Guga
He/Him
Different timing?
Former player
I think the PSX version is better, anyway
Everytime I get home My neighbour's cockroach is in my bed
Perhaps they skip FMVs on the PlayStation version by opening the disc tray?
Man, nobody tells me about this stuff. This would've been fun to help with on an advisory level. I was hoping that Uroboros and Arukado were going to be finished with their PSX run, but I think the N64 version is more interesting from a TASing point of view anyway. I attempted to run this in mupen a long time ago, but I think emulation for this game was very premature at the time. That, and, well, I prefer to do real-time runs of the game anyway, lol. I couldn't speedrun the N64 version of the game since I would have to retrain myself how to play the game completely, but the alternate control scheme and the fact that it nixes turning animations altogether makes for some pretty fun zombie dodging. There's still a lot of time that could've been shaved off. I would've voted for a reject, though I like a lot of the things he does for some of the more problematic areas. Not much research has gone into making this TAS though, from the looks of it. First, he doesn't use the rapid fire bug. This can be done by rapidly hitting R and L while firing, as it's an animation cancel. I don't remember the specifics, but there's no reason you shouldn't be able to do it in the N64 version either; it's a bug that exists in pretty much every classic RE game. I like the idea of picking up the second Red Jewel when he does such that the items fall exactly into place when he uses them, but I'm pretty sure one cursor movement would have been faster than moving back about 6 frames to pick it up after shoving the second statue in place. There's a Japanese TASer named じっかちゃん (https://twitter.com/chan_jikka) who is working on the PSX version of the game, and I saw one of his WIPs on Nicovideo. His basketball court route iirc knocks back the zombies with downward critical handgun shots. What really confuses me though, is why he doesn't carry the handgun with him... Especially when he goes to fight Birkin's claw on the cable car from the sewers to the factory. Shooting the claw makes the fight go way faster than just letting Ada shoot it, and you can re-equip the Magnum very quickly upon using the D-key prior to the G2 fight. Moreover, by taking the handgun, he could've used one less Magnum bullet on the Alligator in favor of juggling ammo pickups. Bending down to pick up the one clip of Magnum bullets in the train is kinda slow compared to picking up the 3 clips that are sitting on various tables. I like his Super Licker hallway, getting the one to leap offscreen is pretty awesome and I wish I could replicate that on the PSX version. Something tells me I couldn't, given the extra frames I'd have while turning. Very nice MO Disc room too. It's possible to get through the hallway to G3/G4 without shooting any zombies, though. Watch Trevor Seguin's Biohazard 2 run on SDA. G3/G4 is pretty nebulous though; even I'm not sure of the fastest pattern to beat him because he's so random and it's difficult to find a way to manipulate him. In my best run though, I ran behind him to the 3 O'clock position before shooting 3 times in the foot so that when he transformed he'd just keep jumping in the corner of the room; I pretty much never stopped shooting. Also, hooray, a stream-watcher! I beat Moku-gyo's run on the US version via PSP (1:07:26) maybe a week before this TAS was published. I'm convinced that in-game time as a metric is really bad for speedrunning this game, as each console always has some minor nitpicky thing to differentiate loading times and whatnot (save for running on PSP, which runs an official emulator and has no moving parts). Room-for-room comparisons OTOH are better for that. As far as version differences go, this version can skip FMVs, but not doors or game-rendered cutscenes. The loading of backdrops as you move through a room is also very slow too, which completely baffles me. Lastly, no, you don't skip FMVs by opening the disc tray in the PSX version =p
Skilled player (1706)
Did you find this movie entertaining?
If not for those incredibly annoying door transitions, I would have voted yes!
Editor, Experienced player (852)
Tyler: do you agree with everything said by Carcinogen? If so, I think your movie may be a bit too sub-optimal.
Post subject: Spiders shown?
Are there any spiders shown in this run?
Post subject: Re: Spiders shown?
Editor, Skilled player (1505)
antd wrote:
Are you afraid of spiders? I didn't seen any.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
Yes. I have nightmares about the ones from this game only ;) Can someone confirm with 100% accuracy? :D
MTA
Nahoc wrote:
Tyler: do you agree with everything said by Carcinogen? If so, I think your movie may be a bit too sub-optimal.
It seems like there are a bit improvements for this run according to what Carcinogen has pointed out like the "rapid fire bug" which wasn't done in this run and "fight Birkin's claw" "Shooting the claw makes the fight go way faster than just letting Ada shoot it" and several other improvements as well. So yeah I agree with what Carcinogen is saying.
Post subject: Re: Spiders shown?
antd wrote:
Yes. On the YouTube video from 26.20-ish to 26.40-ish, and probably the 2 return trips through that room at the very least.
Yes lots of spiders but I think you can hear them beforehand so just close yer eyes.
<^>v AB X LR s
Former player
I'm not going to lie. I'm a big fan of Resident Evil 2. It's actually my favorite game in the series. However this TAS bored me to tears. I couldn't even finish it. There was nothing noteworthy about this run. It just looked like a standard speedrun to me. No glitches. No jaw-dropping moments. Nothing a human player couldn't replicate with some degree of accuracy. Sorry. But I guess it's good for the vault?
hello. i edited out loading screens and uploaded as new video. hope everyone like it. new length is ~25m. http://youtu.be/LecwR3mALI0 - pt1 http://youtu.be/Hmf-cptlnpU - pt2
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
TylerArtrip wrote:
Nahoc wrote:
It seems like there are a bit improvements for this run according to what Carcinogen has pointed out like the "rapid fire bug" which wasn't done in this run and "fight Birkin's claw" "Shooting the claw makes the fight go way faster than just letting Ada shoot it" and several other improvements as well. So yeah I agree with what Carcinogen is saying.
TylerArtrip, do you think you can apply those improvements? You just should have shown your progress to some people experienced in this game to prevent losses. Now it can be taken as posting a WIP and having quite some useful feedback. Also, please estimate the time that can be potentially saved if all of those were applied.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
MTA
I was actually thinking about redoing the run (depending on how much time the improvements save) but I don't think it would save that much time the way I see it.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
You can try out the most promising ones. If even they save only some frames, it can be considered "possible improvements". However, implementing even them you can save more time than you estimate :)
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech!