Introduction

Okay, here's the other one. This run improves [2126] NES Where's Waldo? by Fladdermus in 02:12.50 by 401 frames using the best luck for each levels. You won't see much difference (except that the sections are faster), and there was absolutely no time to add in entertainment. Okay, a little bit at the final "slot machine" level.
For entertainment,
  • "Trying to be entertaining but it's depressing" hand at final level.

Game objectives

  • Emulator used: FCEUX 2.2.0
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Entertains without losing a frame

About the game

The game is actually hilarious. If this would be a visual test, I would fail it. I was nearly looking for the very 1st waldo on the first level for hours until I found the right one. Pretty awesome. You shouldn't try it.

Improvements

  • Delaying start loads level 1 faster (and using a good location for Waldo)
  • Advancing RNG when Waldo is found (pressing other buttons when I find him (with A))
  • Getting a better layouts for the 2 interactive scene

Miscellaneous

Now, I fly away.

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: Er... accepting to the Vault as an improvement to the published movie. No further comment.

Ilari: Yeah, I dumped this...


TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Moderator
Location: 127.0.0.1
Joined: 8/3/2004
Posts: 18078
Location: 127.0.0.1
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3843: MESHUGGAH's NES Where's Waldo? in 02:05.83
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Moderator
Location: 127.0.0.1
Joined: 8/3/2004
Posts: 18078
Location: 127.0.0.1
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2293] NES Where's Waldo? by MESHUGGAH in 02:05.83
Skilled player (1835)
Location: ̶C̶a̶n̶a̶d̶a̶ "Kanatah"
Joined: 9/17/2009
Posts: 5021
Location: ̶C̶a̶n̶a̶d̶a̶ "Kanatah"
This was sorta funny, but only because it's nearly impossible to find him (or whatever those pixels were supposed to represent). :P
Tompa
Any
Editor, Expert player (2433)
Location: Mullsjö, Sweden
Joined: 8/15/2005
Posts: 1979
Location: Mullsjö, Sweden
There was a big Where's Waldo hype during the ESA marathon last week, so I decided to look into this TAS a bit. There is a trick at the Launch Pad by stopping the spinner on the first possible frame, you'll get the green man but it still counts is as Waldo, giving you a green light. This can easily be buffered by holding A, and is thus done in real time runs of the game. It saves about 68 frames for that stage alone However, as I started TASing this, I noticed that FCEUX loads the first stage much faster compared to BizHawk, and these are non-lag frames, meaning RNG is changing as well. Best RNG outcome I could get still was 16 frames behind. I tested a bit to manipulate the second stage, but couldn't get a result I was satisfied with. Anyway, just putting this info out here in case someone ever wants to improve this =).